How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2016, 11:56 PM

Default Advice on MIDI keyboard

Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of help choosing a MIDI keyboard for PT 12.4.

The reason I ask is because I have read that for some MIDI controllers people have had to download their version of PT or operating system, which I obviously don't want to do.

I'm rather average when it comes to technology so am looking for a MIDI keyboard that will require minimal set-up (ie works automatically with PT), is very intuitive, and very musical (maybe doesn't exist I know). Was looking at AKAI MPK225, M-Audio Oxygen IV series, Novation Impulse.

If anyone has any experience of using these, or other MIDI keyboards, with PT 12.4 that can suggest either one I'd love to hear from you!

Cheers!

Mick
Old 03-31-2016, 02:36 AM

Default Re: Advice on MIDI keyboard

I use my yamaha p155 digital piano as my controller. Works great. I connect to Motu micro lite midi interface - and the interface to the computer through USB. Seems to work good in pro tools. Really good feeling 88 key weighed keybed.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:06 AM

I have an M-audio Oxygen 88 and I'm not a fan.

I think that M-audio makes great keyboard pedals, but that's about it imo. The biggest thing I can say is to look at the keyboard action. If you're mainly going to stick with synth plugins then there are plenty of budget-friendly synth action keys that will be perfect. But if you're trying to emulate piano then you probably want something that's fully-weighted.

The reason why I said I didn't like my M-audio was because I've had many strange anomalies happen when I've used it. Things like, how certain notes feel like they cancel out... I've not even been able to figure out exactly what's causing it, so it's not like it'll apply to every scenario. Maybe m-audio will work out better for you. But that hasn't been my experience, so I can't say that I could recommend it.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undead Goat View Post
I have an M-audio Oxygen 88 and I'm not a fan.

I think that M-audio makes great keyboard pedals, but that's about it imo. The biggest thing I can say is to look at the keyboard action. If you're mainly going to stick with synth plugins then there are plenty of budget-friendly synth action keys that will be perfect. But if you're trying to emulate piano then you probably want something that's fully-weighted.

The reason why I said I didn't like my M-audio was because I've had many strange anomalies happen when I've used it. Things like, how certain notes feel like they cancel out... I've not even been able to figure out exactly what's causing it, so it's not like it'll apply to every scenario. Maybe m-audio will work out better for you. But that hasn't been my experience, so I can't say that I could recommend it.
Make sure midi merge is not on when recording midi performances.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarist9891 View Post
Make sure midi merge is not on when recording midi performances.
Midi merge isn't the problem.

I've talked about it on other forums. I think the keys trigger the same note twice at the exact same time which causes phasing issues. The result is a very strange soft warble that sounds almost as if there's a flanger on the keyboard.

I went into the midi editor and confirmed this. There are tiny notes "hidden" behind the ones that I've just recorded.

My particular Oxygen keyboard just isn't reliable. This wouldn't be the first time I've had problems with M-audio hardware, either. (their usb microphone crashed my pc on numerous occasions). I have only disdain for M-audio.
Old 04-01-2016, 05:47 AM

I'm a keyboard player and use M-audio keystation 61 on PT 12,5.
I like the keys, (semiweighted) on that keyboard) I also use it live with Mainstage. In my opinion you dont need fully weighted keys because it will limit the pracitcal use of the keyboard, especially when you play organ and synths. Why pack the keyboard with a lot of knobs and levers?
You dont need that in Protools
Imac 21,5 late 2012, (upgraded 2018), i7 quad core 3,1 ghz 16 gb ram. Samsung Evo 850 SSD 1tb. Catalina 10.15.3, PT 2021.12, Waves Diamond ++. Native instruments komplete ultimate. Arturia Matrix 12v2. Mini V v3, Prophet v3, Air , Hammond B3x
etc...
Old 04-01-2016, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undead Goat View Post
Midi merge isn't the problem.

I've talked about it on other forums. I think the keys trigger the same note twice at the exact same time which causes phasing issues. The result is a very strange soft warble that sounds almost as if there's a flanger on the keyboard.

I went into the midi editor and confirmed this. There are tiny notes "hidden" behind the ones that I've just recorded.

My particular Oxygen keyboard just isn't reliable. This wouldn't be the first time I've had problems with M-audio hardware, either. (their usb microphone crashed my pc on numerous occasions). I have only disdain for M-audio.
It sounds like you should turn the "omni" button off in "preferences, midi"?
I have experienced that funny performance with other keyboards:)
Imac 21,5 late 2012, (upgraded 2018), i7 quad core 3,1 ghz 16 gb ram. Samsung Evo 850 SSD 1tb. Catalina 10.15.3, PT 2021.12, Waves Diamond ++. Native instruments komplete ultimate. Arturia Matrix 12v2. Mini V v3, Prophet v3, Air , Hammond B3x
etc...

Last edited by hakofred; 04-01-2016 at 06:03 AM.