Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 01-01-2023, 03:52 PM

Default Questions about AAX

Good day. I'm not sure what exactly AAX means.

I think it's like a new Pro Tools platform or something like that for work with some type of plugins.

I've just updated my Pro Tools Studio version to 2022.10 and I have a question. Does it come with AAX, or I have to buy it at AVID?

Thanks so much in advance

JL
Old 01-01-2023, 04:15 PM

Default Re: Questions about AAX

AAX is the Avid proprietary plugin format used by all current versions of Pro Tools. First introduced in Pro Tools 10 as 32-bit AAX then as 64-bit AAX in Pro Tools 11. AAX runs either as native (host based) plugins or AAX-DSP that uses DSP processors on the HDX card(s) or in the Carbon interface. Not all plugins support HDX-DSP (and sample based VIs cannot use DSP). But those that do run that code from the same installed plugin as native code. You need to install the right version for Mac or PC. And to complicate things Macs are migrating to Apple Silicon which means that native plugins are starting to support Intel and Apple silicon “universal binary” AAX plugins.

If you are buying plugins you need to check the vendor says they come in AAX format, and ideally they say are compatible with your OS and Pro Tools version. If you are on a Apple Silicon Mac you should be looking for vendors that say their AAX plugins are Apple silicon native or similar *not* just those that are using weasel words and saying their plugins are “compatible” with Apple silicon systems.

Blue Cat Patchwork is a very handy AAX plugin that can host AU and VST format plugins, but you are better off getting any plugin in AAX format.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 01-07-2023 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-07-2023, 12:01 PM

Thank you so much Darryl.
Do you know if PT vers 2022.12 come with AAX integrated?
Thanks again.
Old 01-07-2023, 12:17 PM

I don't understand your question.

"integrated"? All versions of Pro Tools for the last decade or so only support AAX plugins. That support is built into Pro Tools.

What AAX plugins are included with Pro Tools and the typically also included Avid Complete Plugin Bundle subscription is something you can look up for whatever exact product Pro Tools version/license you have. Info available on Avid.com.
Old 01-07-2023, 02:40 PM

Many times I've looking for the answer at Avid and I found a lot of things about AAX, but never what I want to know. I think it's something well known but not for a dumbed like me. Sorry
You gave me the answer. Thanks again.
Old 01-07-2023, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLouis View Post
Do you know if PT vers 2022.12 come with AAX integrated?
This is a dumb question as Darryl already explained it earlier.

Earlier versions of Pro Tools used TDM (dsp) and RTAS (host) plugins. Then came the "bridge software" called PT10, which supported the old plugin platform and introduced a new one: AAX (32-bit).

Pro Tools version 11 changed all this. None of the earlier plugins worked any longer. Everything needed to be 64-bit AAX, whether dsp or host processed. So, since v11.0.0 Pro Tools "comes with AAX integrated".
Old 01-07-2023, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLouis View Post
Many times I've looking for the answer at Avid and I found a lot of things about AAX, but never what I want to know. I think it's something well known but not for a dumbed like me. Sorry
You gave me the answer. Thanks again.
There are often reasons behind questions like this. Instead of asking abstract/general questions it's often better to ask very specific questions/describe your exact problem. Say that might be you have a specific plugin you can't get working, or your are trying to find the best plugin for ..., or somebody told you <something> (and what exactly was that) and you are trying to understand what that means, etc.