Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 12:55 PM

Default MAX: 2 week trial is a good thing! $599 is reasonable!

Max,

Thanks for letting us try out PT10HD next week .... Sampling this version will likely calm the hyped responses from users in this thread.

As a user who made an "ill timed" used HD2 pcie purchase in may of this year, I still see the value of my HD2 192i/o system. It will run TDM, it will run RTAS, and it will soon run AAX... It will be the only "intermediate/crossover" hardware/software combination that supports all plugin formats until PT11.

I can have this for $599?

Yes, a bit pricey for an upgrade, but reasonable. But this is the last stop, the last chance to have all the bells and whistles on an HD system before spending $7,000+ on new hardware (which like many is this thread want to do but, like me, cannot at this time). I will be able to use my system while planning for a hardware upgrade next year. Okay, it will cost me a little bit more later, I get that, but I can see the value of having the software now.

Perhaps you could sway Avid to keep the hardware exchange longer? Or, at least offer some some incentives for the PCI-E users who want to step up to an HDX system a soon as possible but can not right now.

There are a lot of HD users out here that would be elated if they received some sort of "loyalty discount" based on how long they have had an HD system fully qualified with Avid.

Looking forward to the trial,

-SteveB.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:35 PM

Default Re: In Response to Pro Tools HD 10 Feedback

Avid,

3 yrs ago I've payed 16.000€ for my HD3 rig with interface 192 i/o, I've payed for the HD 8 upgrade, last year my 192 AD card start making some white noise in 4 channels, payed for the repair 350 euros (my dealer did not even mention this kinda of support plan), then in november PTHD9 arrive and payed more $350, one year later two more channels have the same problem! I try to talk to my dealer, and what i receive was a dead silence, great, warranty pass and now I have a broken AD card again!!

Now to use the snappier software and less buggy version than 9.05 in OSX Lion, we have to pay $599 or $999.

For me it seems like we are buy a shovel to dig our own grave!

I don't mind paying for the upgrade, but $599 for a "shovel" is to much in my point of view.

I have personal invest in Avid hardware almost €18k in 3 years!

And this is what we receive from supporting this company!!!

I love Pro tools, I love the new features, but because we have the blue line products we are paying for a cripple version to much, its not a great deal the $599 price!

In my work we have 6x HD2 with PTHD8, 4 x 96 interfaces, 2x 192 I/o interfaces, 5x Sync, 1x Sync HD, and more 4 x Digi 002 LE 8 systems, I will know my answer to my boss when he ask's me for the price of the updates!

I hope some new deal appears, I love to get the PT HD 10 but $599, no thank you.

Dialog Editor, Sound Designer, Re-Recording mixer

nMacPro 6Core/D500/512GB/64Gb ram | PT HD 12 HDN Thunderbolt | HD OMNI | Avid Artist Mix | Novation Impulse 25 | Waves Mercury Native | Audioease All In Bundle | SoundToys | McDSP Classic Pack | DUY Overpack | Arturia Beatstep Pro
Old 10-28-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Currently available for HD users through the dealer network.

Just bought it for HD.. Where is the free download and can I use it until the licenses get to my iLok? NOW I SEE IT'S COMING NEXT WEEK ON AVID'S SITE.
HOWEVER.. I assume it's the same thing? THnx, G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 10-28-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
very well said...

All points - 100% valid !

+2 Glad I was on PT 9 and I just had bought an HD IO In late July. Been through 3 or more full Hardwre system upgrades in the last 20 yrs..
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 10-28-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilterDecay View Post
too late for me as I already purchased. [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] it.
look at early posts you can refund your purchase
Old 10-28-2011, 03:05 PM

I bought the 10HD upgrade on the online store and am interested in swapping over to the support contract as it does (obviously) represent a saving. The support contract can only be purchased from one's dealer, however the refund is processed by Arvato (who handle the online store) after completing a declaration that one will destroy the previous license.

So my understanding is that customers who have upgraded will have to uninstall Pro Tools 10 HD, save any new sessions as .ptf, and reinstall 9.0.5 until the support plan is available? (The upgrade that comes with the support plan will presumably require a 9HD license surrender, which won't be available until Arvato has returned that asset, so purchasing support in advance - if it's even possible - would not help.)

It's true that the 14-day trial license might tide one over, but it seems that for customers that bit the bullet and paid for the $999 upgrade could be offered a more seamless transition to support.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Bernardo View Post
Avid,

3 yrs ago I've payed 16.000€ for my HD3 rig with interface 192 i/o, I've payed for the HD 8 upgrade, last year my 192 AD card start making some white noise in 4 channels, payed for the repair 350 euros (my dealer did not even mention this kinda of support plan), then in november PTHD9 arrive and payed more $350, one year later two more channels have the same problem! I try to talk to my dealer, and what i receive was a dead silence, great, warranty pass and now I have a broken AD card again!!

Now to use the snappier software and less buggy version than 9.05 in OSX Lion, we have to pay $599 or $999.

For me it seems like we are buy a shovel to dig our own grave!

I don't mind paying for the upgrade, but $599 for a "shovel" is to much in my point of view.

I have personal invest in Avid hardware almost €18k in 3 years!

And this is what we receive from supporting this company!!!

I love Pro tools, I love the new features, but because we have the blue line products we are paying for a cripple version to much, its not a great deal the $599 price!

In my work we have 6x HD2 with PTHD8, 4 x 96 interfaces, 2x 192 I/o interfaces, 5x Sync, 1x Sync HD, and more 4 x Digi 002 LE 8 systems, I will know my answer to my boss when he ask's me for the price of the updates!

I hope some new deal appears, I love to get the PT HD 10 but $599, no thank you.
with all that great equipment how much has your company made off of it and you personally? I bought this great truck for my farm a few years ago and now I need a new one and they want me to pay for it!!!!! I bought this sweet apple pcix computer for lots of money and can you believe they want me to upgrade it???? Every company in the world upgrades all their stuff for free why does avid make you pay for a new one???? I finished my box of cereal and now the grocery store expects me to pay for it - they won't even give me a damn cross grade price for it WTF its prolly all avids fault is my guess
Old 10-28-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
An AVID HD Core system that is ?
Yeah, or Digidesign...what else is there?
Old 10-28-2011, 03:31 PM

I agree with that in some degree. However the cost to trade in my native card for HDx is more than if I by a whole new system, and they get back a working card that they currently sell and will resell.

No one disagrees paying for new technology but if you went to trade in your truck which you bought a few months ago for a new model and the cost of your trade in was higher than the cost of the new truck would you go for it?

I doubt it.

Carl
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:10 PM

Mr Max, I understand the mojority of protools user's issue is the pricing to upgrade.
But Us the HD Guys are having a bigger problem.
In my case I've invested in 2 HD3 systems, one was bought last year and one was bought about 3 months ago. I paid 15000+tax for the the three cards i paid 3000 for the 192 i/o. the second system cost me around 14000K plust 2000 for a 192 i/o digital. total cost is 31000$. This without al the tdm that i bought which is worth about 5000$.
Now this technology is still very good, but Avid's decision to stop support for all they pcie and blue interfaces and the HDX upgrade price has dropped the value of my investment by 80 Percent if not more because now if i want to upgrade to an HDX 2 system to accomodate all my I/O and setup i would have to gush out another 15000$. this is unexaptable. If nothing is done about this issue we i will be switching platforms and encouraging other users to do so. You guys should have prepared ppl for this. One day you're selling the the system at full price and the next day you tell ppl you don't support it. If you want to continue to work with avid's technology we have to upgrade to a system that's cheaper to buy new, than to upgrade. This is big money, we work hard to make it and it's a very serious issue to a lot of us.
Closed Thread