Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2008, 07:43 PM

Default Re: How long untill protools LE can run on leopard?

please digi at least release a core audio update!! All i want is to use my mbox2 pro with leopard,that's the only thing some of us really need.. it's not much please help us!
Old 05-28-2008, 09:35 PM

]
It's not an "unauthorized" version, it's a beta version. Apparently it's working well so there won't necessarily be many changes. And how did you jump from "more than two" to July or August?

Several weeks is more than 2. That means at least 3. That puts it in late June. If any later than that, then it's July. I'm sure the final release will have some changes. They always do. Then you have song projects going on in a version that is not up to spec for the full release.

Quote:
What would really be the purpose of recording music in the pre-version if they may not function well when the finale version is released and downloaded. Unless you want the customers to help test and authorise the product?
How would the beta version keep the final version from functioning well?

And yes, with a public release the customers are indeed helping to test the product, by definition.

Quote:
Will the finale version be available as a disc, free plus shipping and handling? I don't know about everyone else, but with the hassles of varifying who we are and if we have a "right" to any free upgrades, and sign in and we don't recognise your password and put this code here and another code there: I WANT a HARDCOPY of 7.4.Leopard in case Digi's website stops recognising me as a customer and bumps me off, or if I need to do a clean install for whatever reason. I want a hardcopy of something that works or your money refunded. That's what I paid for.
No, you didn't pay for a hard copy. The upgrade is a download. You can pay extra for a DVD copy, and if you already paid for that you already got it. I'd imagine that they will have a DVD copy of the Leopard version available as well for an extra charge, but since they haven't offered it yet you haven't paid for it yet.

[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry. But I did already pay for a hardcopy....... of 7.3. Came with the Mbox2 Pro. But that didn't work. Still doesn't. And in it's current configuration, never will. Not with Leopard, not ever. Leopard came with the new machine. Didn't have a choice. If you put Tiger on to use ProTools, you most likely just violated your Apple computers' warranty. Apple says the new machines aren't made to run Tiger. SO one does that at their own risk. I can't afford to damage a new computer. If I have to pay for another disk with 7.4.Leopard, ok, I will. Just to have it at home. I'd rather have it than not. But it's good customer relations, after all this time of waiting, to offer it for shipping and handling gratis.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:
They can only full me ONCE.

I don't unpgrade to 10.5.3 and I'm gonna sell the 003 if the quality is not what I expect. I thought that I bought something really good for home-studio. If I was wrong, I'll sell it as fast as I can.

[ quote]give them a second. damn guys.

A second? What about 7 months? Man, I respect you for your work and your contribution on this forum, but you need to understand the frustration of some users.

[/QUOTE]

I am not insensitive to your frustration. I was only commenting to give Digi the benefit of the doubt. Apple had JUST come out with the update and everyone was screaming off with Digi's head. It seems that Digi's actions today have been pretty upfront. I may even update to Leopard when the "beta" patch comes out.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:09 AM

Quote:

I'm sorry. But I did already pay for a hardcopy....... of 7.3. Came with the Mbox2 Pro. But that didn't work. Still doesn't. And in it's current configuration, never will. Not with Leopard, not ever. Leopard came with the new machine. Didn't have a choice. If you put Tiger on to use ProTools, you most likely just violated your Apple computers' warranty. Apple says the new machines aren't made to run Tiger. SO one does that at their own risk. I can't afford to damage a new computer. If I have to pay for another disk with 7.4.Leopard, ok, I will. Just to have it at home. I'd rather have it than not. But it's good customer relations, after all this time of waiting, to offer it for shipping and handling gratis.
Well in that case you did one of two things:
Bought an incompatible package for your computer, knowing fully that it wasn't going to work

OR

Went out and bought a package without even checking if it would work or not

In either case, the fault is entirely yours, I don't see what you're bitching about - and if it's any consolation - PT 7.4cs4 does, for the most part, work fine on Leopard for me with an MBox 2 Pro, just a few minor issues.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:58 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry. But I did already pay for a hardcopy....... of 7.3. Came with the Mbox2 Pro. But that didn't work. Still doesn't. And in it's current configuration, never will. Not with Leopard, not ever. Leopard came with the new machine.
Exactly...you paid for a hard copy of 7.3, which you have. You didn't pay for a hard copy of 7.4, and even if you did buy the upgrade for $75, you're still only paying for the software itself, not a hard copy. And 7.3 does work...just not on your machine, and Digidesign never claimed it would or will.

Quote:
But it's good customer relations, after all this time of waiting, to offer it for shipping and handling gratis.
The download is free, which is faster than it would be able to be shipped...and there's no quality difference between a hard copy from Digidesign and the download. Again, even people who paid for the upgrade aren't getting a hard copy. I don't see offering it as an instant download as being bad customer relations at all.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:58 AM

I have 7.1.3. I have never upgraded to 7.4.

Digi, I am one of the many that are stalled because I have Leopard. Id like to get running on LE as soon as possible, including beta, or whatever you call it. Please let me know what upgrade path I should take to get the latest Leopard compatible realease.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:31 AM

i'm sure people have updated to 10.5.3 by now - what happened? anything different with protools or the os in general?? im asking because usually after an update people say this and that works faster or this takes ages now... anyone?

people - relax! i'm sure we are only hours - or just two or so days - away from the beta release. Take a deep breath, listen to some nice music und enjoy life for a moment! In the end everything will be good - if it isn't good, it's not the end...

mark
Old 05-29-2008, 08:40 AM
Avid

Quote:

One question: Okay, call me a cynic ("you're a cynic"), but Digi has said they won't charge for an update that merely provides new OS compatibility. So I wonder if this "pre-release version" (7.4.2) coming in the next few days, which has not gone through all the rigors of full qualification, will be the only version made available at no cost (to satisfy the OS conformity promise), but then the version that finally conforms to Digi's self-proclaimed "process for manufacturing fully qualified Pro Tools software" that typically leads to a public release actually gets introduced under a later version number...and a fee to upgrade.

Say it ain't so.
It ain't so.

Pro Tools 7.4.2 (the final version) will be a free update to all owners of 7.4.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:45 AM

from what I have read, it's supposedly faster but it's breaking some bootcamp stuff. I don't have all the details on it. You can read macrumors.com for all the juicy details. One more thing. Without the public release patch, protools should operate pretty much as it did on 10.5.1 or .2. We won't really know how well it works until Digi releases the Leopard fix.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:45 AM
Avid

Quote:
I have 7.1.3. I have never upgraded to 7.4.

Digi, I am one of the many that are stalled because I have Leopard. Id like to get running on LE as soon as possible, including beta, or whatever you call it. Please let me know what upgrade path I should take to get the latest Leopard compatible realease.

Once you register your system, you'll get an email for a free update to 7.4 (assuming your purchase was within the free update period). With the 7.4 update you'll get a new authorization code, which you can use to download the 7.4.2 release.