Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2002, 05:08 PM

Default Need some advise

Iīm going to by Digi001 in future. Now I have update my PC:
Antech Tower + Chieftec 340W pover (ABSOLUTE QUIET!!)
Asus P4T-E Intel 478/850 motherboard
Intel P4 1500MHz
256Mb kingston 800MHz Rambus
Gigabyte GTS 2 Pro 64MB
Plextor 4x/12x/32x SCSI CD-RW (and card ofcourse)
Liteon DVD (just came along.. didnīt needed)
Maxtor 40G ATA100 5200rpm hd
Rocwell Flex56k pci modem

Iīm going to by two seagate cheetah SCSI HD:s and planning use my maxtor 40g as a "store". I have win98 se and Win Me Os, but Iīm going to get XP soon.. (Yes i know.. I know... planning to use dual boot [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img])

I have recorded only analog on my Fostex B-16 (or analog + Fostex 1624) So Digi001 should be my first experiament "world of digital mixing and recording" (if not count editing and mastering by pc)
I have some studio "stuf" but that not a issue in this... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

So my question.. Have I forgot something? Does digi001 work with hardware like this or should I get something else too? (I donīt need software advises..yet..) I have seen Digidesign Product Compatibility Documents, but I would like to have feedback to Digi users, if that wouldnīt mind
Old 02-26-2002, 05:21 PM

Default Re: Need some advise

You don't need the SCSI drives for PTLE. They're expensive, noisey and...well that's enough.

You can get excellent results using 7200RPM IDE drives. Most user's are happy with IDE.
(Search around the DUC for SCSI vs IDE discussions). SCSI is required for TDM systems but not PTLE (you can use it if you like).

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Pro Tools LE Audio File Storage Requirements for Windows 98 SE and Me

IDE/ATA: Full 24 track, 24 bit, 48 KHz performance from just one dedicated IDE/ATA audio drive is supported.

SCSI: Using a dedicated SCSI drive and SCSI HBA (Host Bus Adapter) card will, in general, provide the same performance as an IDE/ATA drive, with the exception that IDE/ATA drives may take a couple seconds to start recording 24 tracks. External SCSI drives should be used if you desire portability. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 02-26-2002, 05:44 PM

Thanks B.Ray
I talk with some TDM user, who use Digi001 as an "mobile unit". He told me, that IDE hard drives have quite massive latency problem spesially in 24-track recording.. (like compatibility docs says too.. other words and not so rough..but anyway) So are results SO much better to use scsi hd:s that they are worth to pay? I donīt know... do anyone have experience of that?
Old 02-26-2002, 09:26 PM

My opinion... Save your $$. Go IDE.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by -jj-:
Thanks B.Ray
I talk with some TDM user, who use Digi001 as an "mobile unit". He told me, that IDE hard drives have quite massive latency problem spesially in 24-track recording.. (like compatibility docs says too.. other words and not so rough..but anyway) So are results SO much better to use scsi hd:s that they are worth to pay? I donīt know... do anyone have experience of that?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 02-27-2002, 07:58 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by -jj-:
I talk with some TDM user, who use Digi001 as an "mobile unit". He told me, that IDE hard drives have quite massive latency problem spesially in 24-track recording...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Theoretically that's true but in practical use, you wouldn't really record 24 tracks at once because the Digi only has 18 max inputs. If you need to record 24 tracks at once, I don't think the 001 is the right product for you. Anyway, if you're concerned about drive latency, I think its important to know what kind of numbers are "we" talking about. In other words, what's the drive latency while recording one track? What about two at once? Three at once? ....Eight at once? ...etc.

One thing you should know though is that drive latency is user controllable to a certain degree. It is relative to the amount of record time you pre-select in the setup menus. Your TDM friend may have a very large IDE drive that was pre-selected to record two hours of music. I don't know. Is he aware that the pre-selected record time affects drive latency?

Maybe some of the guys that do live recording or at least record eight tracks at once can chime in.

I normally record one or two tracks at once. The drive latency for that is negligible to me (maybe 1 second - based on a pre-selected record time of 7 minutes - haven't thought about it much really). Added to the two bar count down I use, drive latency is not a problem for me. If there is any, it helps to allow more time for me to get into position to play.

Playback drive latency has to be in the millisecond range.

You want to talk about latency, try locking two Blackface ADAT's to analog tape. Molasses!
Old 02-27-2002, 08:12 AM

BRay,

I'm relatively new to PT and wanted to clarify: are you say latency is only about the pause between pressing record and "something happening"? I use a count down, too. Once PT "starts moving", so to speak, is there no latency issue anymore? I thought latency could also make the whole performance be somewhat behind?
Old 02-27-2002, 08:16 AM

jj

do NOT buy a P4 system. Buy an Athlon system and void the errors. Seriously.
http://volcanojazz.com
http://myspace.com/volcanojazz
Old 02-27-2002, 08:20 AM

The latency that's being talked about here is the latency before starting recording.

The other sort of latency is the monitoring latency inherant in all native (and to a lessor extent TDM) systems.

Go IDE, I'm running a Mix+ system on a 7200 IBM drive, and I'm regularly over 32 tracks with no problems.

Haven't checked the docs but certainly up until HD I thought IDE was also supported up to 64 tracks.

I'm afraid your SCSI friend is a bit behind the times, the only advantage SCSI has is that it doesn't load your processor at all (the SCSI card will deal with i/o) - but this is a really, really small number and the cost (unless you're a pro house) doesn't justify it.

Maybe your friend had gone SCSI because he wanted to take the drives from a mobile rig into a pro facility that will let you bring in your own data drive, in this case SCSI would be the way to go.

Pete
Old 02-27-2002, 08:25 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by yavuzj:
jj

do NOT buy a P4 system. Buy an Athlon system and void the errors. Seriously.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Based on many posts, Yavuzj is correct, but I would like to add that I have had no errors on my P4 system. It is very solid. I do I have a minor MIDI bug. You can work around it and it doesn't prohibit regular MIDI sequencing. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

2+2=5
Old 02-27-2002, 08:28 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by yavuzj:
do NOT buy a P4 system. Buy an Athlon system and void the errors. Seriously.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't that a little harsh? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Me and several others have perfectly working P4's.

Pete, are you talking 32 tracks playback where 24 are audio and the others are aux and masters?