Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2001, 05:53 PM

Default Console Desk for Pro Control

Please tell me which console desk do each of you think is best for Pro Control? I have checked out Omnirax' and Custom Consoles' websites. By the way, does anyone have Argosy's web address? I am really looking forward to and am in need of your opinions. Thanks so much.
Old 02-20-2001, 11:42 PM

Default Re: Console Desk for Pro Control

I have the Argosy and It's great.

It's the big one as I have 2 Fader Paks.
Old 02-21-2001, 01:24 AM

http://www.argosyconsole.com/

I have it and I confirm it's the best.

------------------
www.downinhollywood.com
Old 02-21-2001, 04:17 AM

At Tyrell in London where I bought mine, they had a custom wood desk for it - ProControl was ressesed into it THAT seemed the best I've ever seen - I asked, it was very expencive! I have mine on a custom built very low table - which is only JUST above knee hight. I have Mission Control, and didn't want the already high keboard to be further out of reach by mounting it all in an Argosy.
I have Genelecs on stands and dont like console top mounted speakers.
Having the PC low means you can read the led's...

Low rider, Jules

[This message has been edited by Jules (edited February 21, 2001).]
www.gearslutz.com
Old 02-21-2001, 05:17 AM

Highly recommend the Argosy. Easy to construct in your room and superb customer support. Mahogany end panels are a nice touch too (worth the extra cash).

Jim
Old 02-21-2001, 01:26 PM

Personally i'm not so into the Argosy console, the ProControl should be able to stand in all it's glory without all the other stuff ......ala Euphonix.

So my plan, get a steel maker to manufacture some really sexy legs that are connected by a 2 centre steel rails with holes in the them for the procontrol feet to sit in.

This way the procontrol stands alone like a big console.

Another consideration about the argosy is (from what i've heard) that the armrest covers up the headphone jack.....that's a pita.

When i get these plans drawn up i'd be happy to send them to anyone that's interested.

Old 02-21-2001, 03:08 PM

True, the Argosy covers up the headphone jack BUT I just use my cue mix system if I must monitor via headphones. Also, there is room to permanently keep a pair of headphones in the PC headphone jack although you wouldn't be able to access it once connected.

Where is the headphone jack on the Euphonix?

Jim
Old 02-21-2001, 03:49 PM

PTPerson, way to go, I would have it so the PC hovers just above knee level. I speced my PC 'table' so that I could just about cross a leg under it.

Jules
www.gearslutz.com
Old 02-21-2001, 10:16 PM

Thanks so much, everyone!
Has anyone tried the custom consoles desk for pro control? It looks so attractive, but I'm wondering if any of you know if there may be any disadvantages to it. And why do some of you think the argosy is best?
By the way, I got to check out the Control 24 yesterday. It's a great piece for the money, and I would recommend it to project studios on a budget, but I decided after yesterday's demonstration of it that I have to have a pro control, as I do want a pro level controller. But I think Digi did a great service to low and mid budget studios with the Control 24.
Old 02-22-2001, 01:19 AM

I am using one Argosy with my Procontrol.
I don't suggest you to buy one. It's not solid enough to last for a year - you will find out that the connections become lossen
day by day and your procontrol looked like
sinking..
Find a steel one to rest your PC, I don't think it will cost more than the Argosy.
I love Argosy, but the surface, touch, is not
good enough ( compare to real wood made furnature ), and it will be more durable if they replace the plastic cover for the hand rest ( my friend's studio got one burned with a deep hole by smoking/ash accident ).

Go to Protool's ad. in Mix/EQ/KB/EM, you can see the stand for their Procontrol. You will be amased that what steel ( or be that wood-made ) can do for your PC at a reseanable price than the Argosy. Plus you can see the drawing and make sure the material you plan to use before go. Don't forget to get a PC catalogue from your local store. It helps designing your own stand.
Just my 2Cs. Good Luck and forgive my poor English !