Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2001, 06:04 PM

Default what kind of midi interface?

i have G4 400 w/ 576 megs...
Digi001, Motormix, Clavia Nord Lead as keyboard contoller, and an Alesis DM5 for Drums.
I need advise on how to hook it all up.I will not even go into what I've been trying until now.
Old 09-10-2001, 02:01 AM

Default Re: what kind of midi interface?

that's a pretty broad question, but if you're looking for cheap and tiny, I'd go with either a MOTU FastLane or Pocket Express. The fast lane has a lower MSRP, but if you need SMPTE compatibility, go for the pocket express.

good luck
Old 09-10-2001, 07:12 AM

I'm trying the fastlane for the past week.. I dont seem to have enuff ports.
My motormix goes in and out of the Digi midi interface. the keyboard goes into in A on the fastlane, out A goes to my DM5 drum module, which then returns to In port B on the fastlane? - i was once able to record midi data in a session using it as a thru box. but could not trigger the module from the session.
I HATE MIDI.
Old 09-10-2001, 08:00 AM

FastLane, eh? That's 2 in / 2 out, isn't it?

Port 1:
Out --> Nord Lead In
In --> Nord Lead Out

Port 2:
Out --> DM5 In
In --> DM5 Out

Unless I'm missing something, that should be pretty straight forward.

From there, in OMS you should have created 2 new 'devices' - one for the Nord, and the other for the DM5. Each one should be linked to its respective I/O port of the FastLane icon. Have you installed the FastLane drivers in order for it to appear in OMS?

In Pro Tools, under MIDI menu, check your Input Devices to ensure both synths are enabled (but not the interface itself, or you may experience doubled-up notes).

Now make sure your MIDI track outputs match the synth you're trying to get it to play.

If you wish to play your DM5 from the Nord, rec-enable the DM5 track, then check the MIDI Thru option is enabled from the MIDI menu, and play away...

In fact, when using a controller keyboard, you should always be using the Pro Tools 'thru' function, with the keyboard's Local switch set to Off. Just don't forget to switch it back on again when not using Pro Tools, or you'll end up thinking it's broken. Happened to me live on stage!!!

Phil

[ September 10, 2001: Message edited by: accession ]
Old 09-10-2001, 08:28 AM

i'll try exactly that after work and hope thats the end of this topic, thanks [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-10-2001, 07:31 PM

hello again - i tried it exctly that way and no results.
nord i/o throught the fastlanes i/o ports A, and the DM5 in fastlane i/o ports B. in OMS the test vstudio said midi recieved to the DM%.
the firsta light on the fastlane light up but no midi gets to the DM5 for some reason. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-11-2001, 01:18 PM

any other suggestions? maybe ditch the fastlane for something different?