Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-08-2010, 07:47 AM

Default Please advise for a new HD

Hi All,

Please advise me for a new HD for my Glyph GT050Q case.
The Seagate (7200, 250GB) that was in the case causing a blue screen on my XP SP3 pc. I have a Samsung SP2504C (7200rpm, 250GB/8M) but is not possible to make a recording lower that 128 buffers. I need to use 64buffers because I am sending different headphone mixes when I am recording a band with my mobile system or I need to use a reverb plugin and send it on singer's headphones just for monitoring. The only thing i know is that has to be 7200rpm but i don't know about ms, cash size or if it must be WD, Samsung.....
I am using an HP Pavilion dv6960 Laptop, Digi003rack with Presonus Digimax FS.

Tank you in advance,

Petros
Old 09-08-2010, 07:50 AM

Default Re: Please advise for a new HD

Some of the favorite drives around here are the WD Black 32MB or 64MB cache.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2022 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 09-08-2010, 07:51 AM

are you sure the Hard drive itself is cause problems, and not the host (case)

The Western Digital Caviar Black 32MB cache drives are good.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 09-08-2010, 08:10 AM

Yeah, I would be really surprised that ANY HD that has at least a 8mb cache and is 7200rpm wouldn't be able to give performance beyond what you would ever need.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:25 AM

Thank you very much guys:)

Benoni: I am sure because I was searching for two days to find the problem. The same case does not create any problem with the samsung inside. Also my pc has problems only when the glyph was connected.

FoedVan: Yea I know but the same drive is working fine when is in the tower and I can record 16 tracks 24/48 at 64 buffers......
When is in the case (glyph) is working the same.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:59 AM

What is the interface for the glyph? Even USB 2.0 is going to have problems. Firewire will even potentially have problems.

eSATA and external SCSI are about the only two formats that are practically bullet proof.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:13 PM

1 FW400 2 FW800 1 eSata and 1USB2. I search on the net these two days and I found a lot complains about glyphs and someone said that maybe is the seagate barracuda that has the problem. The eSata is official approved from avid?
Old 09-08-2010, 12:32 PM

Not sure how "official" eSata is, but I am doing my main music drive on eSATA, and haven't ran into a single problem.

eSATA has the same speed as SATA. The "external" part is just that. I bought a $40 NexStar case and put a Seagate Barracude 7200 drive in it and everything is working dandy.

If you are interfacing with that drive via Firewire or USB, I can see there being possible problems. But interfacing via eSATA would be like having the drive installed IN your computer. 3Gb/sec transfer speeds!!!
Old 09-08-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordVan View Post
Not sure how "official" eSata is, but I am doing my main music drive on eSATA, and haven't ran into a single problem.

eSATA has the same speed as SATA. The "external" part is just that. I bought a $40 NexStar case and put a Seagate Barracude 7200 drive in it and everything is working dandy.

If you are interfacing with that drive via Firewire or USB, I can see there being possible problems. But interfacing via eSATA would be like having the drive installed IN your computer. 3Gb/sec transfer speeds!!!
Agreed.

Since I threw an eSATA ExpressCard34 in my Macbook Pro, external disk speeds have been insanely faster.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 09-09-2010, 11:31 AM

Guys....

I bought today the WD caviar black 640GB 32MB and I am facing the same problems. Blue death screen

When I testing the glyph case with the samsung, it was formated as NTFS but, the seagate 250GB and today the WD are formated as HFS extended.

So the question is: Does anyone has problems on PT 8.0.1 cs2 with Win XP SP3 and Digi003Rack if uses a HFS format???

Yesterday I was testing the case with the samsung for 3 hours and nothing wrong happen. When I was using the seagate maximum in 15 min. the blue screen came out or the hd was unmount.

It is possible the case to be working fine for 3 hours (samsung NTFS) and in If I change the hd (seagate HFS) to have the blue screen? I mean I don't believe that this is a problem of the glyph case....
I was using the same project on both hd's but on the seagate even If I was copying files the most of the times the blue screen came out.

With the internal HD's (samsung 250GB x2, seagate 750GB x1) I do not have any problems so this is nothing has to do with the digirack or FW port or my FW cable and finally my windows system.

HEEEELP!