Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2010, 06:47 AM

Default Multiple-Audio-interface-System

Hello,

How can I make Pro Tools M-Powered (8.0.3) make to run with a multiple-audio-interface-system???

I'm running a M-Audio Delta 1010 and two Delta 66 (with latest driver version 5.10.0.5074) on my Intel i7 winXP system, but while launching Pro Tools the error message 'DAE Error -6006' appears and Pro Tools shuts down.
With only one interface (Delta 1010 or Delta 66) everything works fine.
But I need all the interfaces for my workflow.
With Cubase 5 and Wavelab 6 I have no problems.

Regards, Arno
Old 07-17-2010, 07:12 AM

Default Re: Multiple-Audio-interface-System

Sadly, Pro Tools has always been a single interface system. Your best solution is to sell all the interfaces you have and buy the M-Audio ProFire2626 and add an 8 channel lightpipe preamp for expansion(this could actually be another 2626 but it will not connect to the computer. Instead it would connect via lightpipe to the main 2626). Or the new Mackie Onyx w/firewire mixers can be used as an interface with a $50 download from Mackie.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-17-2010, 08:56 AM

Thanks for the quick answer.
Oh! What a mess!
In that case I think my decision will rather be to sell Pro Tools!!
What do they think, who they are??
They offer a very low cost Protools-'for everybody'. But therefor it can only be used with the hardware of one manufacturer. So far so good.
But to use it with only ONE interface is too much limiting!
And it is exorbitant, that there is no word about this limitation in any documentation or product-announcement!!
And by the way: there are more reasons why I have to be angry on avid-digidesign! When I bought the program the installation-disk was broken. No one at digidesign was in need to help for it. No answer on my mails and the hotline-assistant told me that I only can write mails for that case. Finaly my local dealer was the one, who helped me to get a new disk! Then, while the installation, protools-setup stopped at approximately 80 % and stood still for nearly 10 (TEN!!!) minutes bevor it shut down with the message 'No Quicktime installed!.
Nowadays every program includes those tools like quicktime or acroreader if needed.
Not so protools: they force me to use one hardware-manufacturer (what is OK considering the price), they force me to use only ONE interface, they force me to have certain tools installed on my pc, and - what is the worst - everything without any advance notice!
I ask again: What do they think, who they are??
I think, that they rest on the fact, that nowadays everybody has the opinion, that protools is a 'must-have' for beeing a real professional.
I also was infected by that 'virus' which was the reason for buying protools. But I'm working since many years very professional with steinberg's cubase and nuendo and I notice more and more people who are doing the same....

If I don't find any trick or workaround to avoid the problem, I'll definitely sell the 'great' protools.

Greetings, guit-arno
Old 07-20-2010, 03:17 PM

Hey guit-arno,

The problem is not PT - it is an ASIO problem.

I am running PT8 with 3 x Delta 1010s working perfectly at up to 96KHz. Not only that (and despite the claims that PT M-Powered only allows 18 I/O) - I have 24 analog I/O + 3 S/PDIF I/O + 3 MIDI channels all functioning concurrently.

This h/w setup works with both PT and Reaper in the same DAW.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules View Post
Hey guit-arno,

I am running PT8 with 3 x Delta 1010s working perfectly at up to 96KHz. Not only that (and despite the claims that PT M-Powered only allows 18 I/O) - I have 24 analog I/O + 3 S/PDIF I/O + 3 MIDI channels all functioning concurrently.

This h/w setup works with both PT and Reaper in the same DAW.
Have you recorded all 24 channels at once with PT. Because I have 26 I/O listed but anything over 18 just records silence. I can select any channel, record, but if it's over 18 in the I/O section, it's recording silence. And as far as I know there is no limit on midi channels. I have 4 different interfaces running midi and they all work.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Hey guit-arno,

Oha!

Quote:
I am running PT8 with 3 x Delta 1010s working perfectly at up to 96KHz.
How do you make that? Do you use another (no-asio) driver?

Regards, guitarno
Old 07-22-2010, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necjamc View Post
Have you recorded all 24 channels at once with PT. Because I have 26 I/O listed but anything over 18 just records silence. I can select any channel, record, but if it's over 18 in the I/O section, it's recording silence. And as far as I know there is no limit on midi channels. I have 4 different interfaces running midi and they all work.
Hi necjamc,

Confirmed that I have recorded 24 channels at once with audio recording perfectly on all channels.

In fact, I have outputted through the 24 Delta outputs (DAC) and back into the 24 Delta inputs (ADC) simultaneously.

Unfortunately my PC has run out of PCI slots (3 for Deltas and 1 for Video card), otherwise I'd get a 4th Delta and push it up to 32 I/O.

I think there is a limit on the MIDI channels, but I just don't have enough MIDI devices to find the limit
Old 07-22-2010, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guit-arno View Post

How do you make that? Do you use another (no-asio) driver?

Regards, guitarno

Hi guitarno,

All the Delta 1010s share the same driver - no probs because they're all the same device - it's only when you try to use different devices that you need something like ASIO4all.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:52 AM

Quote:
All the Delta 1010s share the same driver - no probs because they're all the same device - it's only when you try to use different devices that you need something like ASIO4all.
Hi,

my Delta 1010 and the Delta 66 are also sharing the same driver. Like a system with several 1010's, I have only one control-interface where I can choose the options of both cards.

Meanwhile there are some 'news' regarding my problem: After uninstalling the actual M-Audio-driver, I installed an older version. And suddenly my delta 66 appears in protools' I/O-settings-dialog! But I'm not able to assign any in- or output for it.

Regards, Arno