Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2006, 01:01 PM

Default Using The Same Audio Files On Multiple Platforms

Q: I am interested in possibly going back and forth between Pro Tools & Logic - and at different times using the same audio files for both platforms. Assuming I am not doing any destructive editing - is it OK to use the same set of files for both platforms - or do I need to make duplicates (I'd rather not)?

I noticed that when I import new audio into logic - often it will say that is creating wave forms for the display. Q: I notice that the audio files on disk do not show an altered modified date - so where are these wave form displays being saved - on the audio file or inside the logic song?

Also, how does this wave form display get dealt with by going back and forth between the two platforms?
Old 12-30-2006, 07:01 PM

Default Re: Using The Same Audio Files On Multiple Platfor

What audio file format are you using?
Old 12-30-2006, 09:34 PM

I've actually done this a bunch over the years - but lately I have a problem with SDII files, once they're opened in Pro Tools.

Wherever they're first recorded, once Pro Tools has referenced a SDII file, as soon as any reference is made to it from Digital Performer 5.11, Performer crashes hard. Exported files from PT (that is, files that have not been referenced by a PT session) are fine.

Answers to obvious questions are:

MacPro, 2 Gig of RAM, 10.4.8, PT 7.2.1cs2, Performer using the Digi Core Audio driver that was installed with 7.2.1.

It's changed a portion of my workflow substantially - in fact the project I'm on now, where I would use ProTools for certain editing and assembly tasks, as well as for some of the processing I've got there, I'm now toughing it out in Performer because of the hassle of exporting files from PT especially...

Up until this new system arrived I often used the same audio between platforms. And I hope to do it again someday!

JW
Old 12-30-2006, 10:52 PM

why are you still using SD2 files
move to BWF and don't look back

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-30-2006, 11:39 PM

2 major clients using Digital Performer.

Otherwise, yeah.

JW
Old 12-31-2006, 05:34 AM

Can't Digital Performer work with BWF files?
Old 12-31-2006, 09:39 AM

Quote:
What audio file format are you using?
Newer files are AIF format (24 bit - 44.1 or 48k) - but many older files are SDII files (these are mostly 16 bit 48k legacy files) imported from DP
Old 12-31-2006, 01:52 PM

[OT]
Quote:
Can't Digital Performer work with BWF files?
Import/export, yes. Run in a session, no. SDII only.

I think they ought to fix that.

[/OT]

I do still wonder about this crash thing - one can definitely work around it but it seems to me that either Digidesign or MOTU has broken something with respect to handling/updating audio files. I've notified both companies but in my experience neither will respond if the other's products are involved.

Which, as a professional user of both platforms, for very good reasons, I find somewhat inconvenient.

JW