Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-01-2006, 12:57 PM

Default midi..general question/ quest for ideas

hey guys..

i just have a quick question about how everyone is recording midi into ptle. i am running 6.4cs9 (smoooooothly...!) i have a karma, and the mpd16 trigger. i want to start sequencing within ptle /using the midi more with my karma. how are you guys generating midi tracks within ptle? what is the easiest/time effecient way of doing this. i am currently using the 16 track sequencer in my karma and just tracking everything into pt after my song has been sequenced in my karma. but. i really want to use pt for this.. any suggestions?
Old 02-01-2006, 01:28 PM

Default Re: midi..general question/ quest for ideas

Quote:
how are you guys generating midi tracks within ptle?
MIDI out from karma to MIDI in of interface (you never said which one; mBox2?)
MIDI out from interface to MIDI in of karma
USB from MPD to USB of computer (set up with proper drivers etc)

Create a new MIDI track
Set the input to be whatever controller you are going to use for this track (karma or mpd)
Set the output to be the karma
select a patch number on the MIDI track (if you were on 6.7+ you could select by name)

Plug the karma audio outputs into the line ins of your interface
create a new Stereo aux track
select the inputs wher the karma is plugged in as the aux track input
raise the fader

record arm the MIDI track.
play your controller (karma or mpd) to test; if good then
press record and record the MIDI input, or draw the notes in the edit window with the pencil tool.

That's it in a nutshell. More about it in the ref guide.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 02-01-2006, 03:06 PM

thanks dude.. i am using the 002 control unit. now.. dumb question: when would the midi thru ever be used?
Old 02-01-2006, 03:41 PM

Ill take that one Shawn, since you are offline at the moment..

When will the Thru be used.

NEVER.

That is a generalization of the port, but these days, I dont see many Thrus getting used in home studio applications. You know what the thru is for? If not, here is a general and limited description:

The Midi Thru is used usually if you have more than 1 synth module connected in series. The upside of this is the daisy chaining. You can have 2 1-voice modules connected together and use Channel 1, Track 1 on one synth, and Channel 1 track 2 on another synth, and using the modules MIDI Channel preference, you can filter out Track 2 on the first synth, so that all Data being sent on track 2 will be sent to the second synth in the series... or whatever synth you have programmed to read track 2 data.

The things I dont like about daisy chaining is the MIDI thru is such a dirty function. If not set up and used correctly, you can have some really bad amalgamations of sound coming out of the synths. You could accidently have Trumpets coming out of one synth, and the same notes playing drums on another synth. The convention Midi assignments of drum tracks usually has -C2 note as a Kick, -D2 and -E3 as Snares, -E#2 as hihat, as so on... So, playing some trumpets on the A,C and C# chords will make some ugly drum effects...

In general, I think it is better, more efficent, and less latency to have a seperate channel for each synth if possible. Midi is by no means a fast language compared to todays firewire ports and USB2's...
Old 02-01-2006, 03:44 PM

One more thing, I would recommend using your Karma, and exporting the Midi tracks to disk/smart card, whatever it uses, and putting the midi sessions into protools, and then re-assigning each Midi track to correct patch in protools. This will give you a great reference tool so you can compare what you were doing in the past on your Karma, and see how it imported into PT, and it will help you learn how things in PT work. For instance, you can see how PT would lay out your volume programming, note programming, all that good stuff...
Old 02-02-2006, 08:14 AM

ok.. thanks for the advise. i would save the midi sequence to a floppy then "import midi" in ptle?