Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 12-14-2022, 03:39 PM

Default Recording Roland Juno ds88 sounds directly into pro tools via usb cable?

So I would like to know if anyone has been able to record the audio from a Roland Juno Ds88 (or ds76 or ds66) directly into pro tools by usb cable from the keyboard to computer? I know you can record midi this way but would like to know if I can bypass the audio digital/analog conversions that happen when you use the preamps on the audio interface. Unfortunately there are no light pipe or other digital interfaces on the keyboard or my focusrite scarlet interface. USB is what I got. The Roland website see you can do this but they only list other daws like Cubase and not pro tools.
Old 12-14-2022, 11:13 PM

Default Re: Recording Roland Juno ds88 sounds directly into pro tools via usb cable?

Pro Tools will only see the inputs of the selected Playback Engine.
Old 12-15-2022, 12:33 AM

Default Re: Recording Roland Juno ds88 sounds directly into pro tools via usb cable?

You can go line/preamp in to your interface, I doubt that will make any real difference and this is what I'd do and is simple/easy.

I doubt any of the synth audio is world shatteringly great, and you can get better with good VIs. So have fun playing around, but treat stuff as analog scratch tracks, record the MIDI and play with VIs.

You can record audio to a USB stick.

You can connect the DS88 via USB and use it as the playback engine - if you are are using a Windows PC you really want Roland to provide an ASIO device driver for it. You need to look at what they provide. I am a non-Fan of Roland's ability to develop and support drivers.

If you are on a Mac you can try using aggregate I/O to add the USB keyboard device to your Scarlett USB interface. Aggregate devices are frequently flakey PITA, and how well this works depends on the quality of the vendor's drivers. And I suspect this keyboard is using class compliance (ie. Roland is not providing drivers) or given it is Roland I would be cautions of their drivers. In general Roland is an interface manufacturer I'd avoid.

I would probably just make it easy and go analog in, and record MIDI. Play with VIs and/or learn enough to work out what your next hardware step-up is.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-15-2022 at 01:40 AM.
Old 12-29-2023, 01:44 AM

I was only able to do this after installing the correct drivers for the Juno DS.