Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2010, 09:02 AM

Default Any one have the MAudio Profire 2626?

The unit that most interests me and I'd like some feedback on - is the Profire 2626 by MAudio. I thought about starting my own thread - but since we're already talking about the best ASIO options for PT9.

My needs are of course to replace my HD1 system for mixing but that only uses 2 channels. I could get a DUET for that. But I also do a lot of on site remotes for people and I'm used to being able to capture at least 24 at a time if not 32. I still have 3 Digimax LT's that I used with an ADAT Bridge (2 Digimaxes to ADAT Br) to my 96I/O (8 analog ins of the 96I/O and its Lightpipe in) for 32 in to my HD1 system. So I need to replace at least 24 of those.

The Focusrite Sapphire looks like it will do that. But I always loved the sound of my MAudio Firewire 1814. I'm assuming that the Profire 2626 will take input from my Digimaxes thru the two ADAT LP banks and then the 8 on board pres will do the other 8 and PT9 Standard will accept all 24 in?

Is anyone doing this now?

And then I guess this Profire LightBridge piece has 'what', 4?, banks of light pipe in? So that would take my 3 Digimax LT's and I could pick up a Digimax FS and I'd have 32 that way-- right?

Thanks!
Grant
Old 11-27-2010, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Interface options

Good info all, keep it coming.

Newdestinyx, is it hard to change? I know absolutely nothing about the Ensemble but I would assume it would be just a matter of opening the session dialogue in the Ensemble's software and changing it to match the Logic, or in my case PT, session? What do you have to do in reality? Good info, I had not heard of this problem. All I hear is how great Ensemble is and what an awesome clock and converters it has.

What I/O are you using?
2TB Solid State Drive
Thunderbolt 4
Sonoma 14.1.2
Pro Tools 2023.9
Universal Audio Apollo 8P (TB3 Option Card installed)
Old 11-27-2010, 02:31 PM

I've been looking at the Motu 828 mk3- looks very attractive, supposedly compatible with 9.0- the onboard mixing 'sounds' like it gives a lot of routing capabilities with zero latency (and it has some builtt in Fx)

It only has 2 internal pre's which for me this is a non issue (and actually a plus) as I have plenty of outboard options from a D8/ADAT, a Prism MMA, a couple of Bellari channel strips, a couple of ART's and an old Altec Lansing that has been reworked a bit - so I'm more interested in using only my pre's with no 'gain' stage/control' in the circuitry-

and the Motu will synch to SMPTE (I have tape also) looks like a sweet deal

8 analog I?O, 16 digital (via ADAT 2x8) and SMPTE I/O, a clock that's gotta be better than my existing 002R

all for <$800
Old 11-27-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Dogg View Post
Good info all, keep it coming.

Newdestinyx, is it hard to change? I know absolutely nothing about the Ensemble but I would assume it would be just a matter of opening the session dialogue in the Ensemble's software and changing it to match the Logic, or in my case PT, session? What do you have to do in reality? Good info, I had not heard of this problem. All I hear is how great Ensemble is and what an awesome clock and converters it has.

What I/O are you using?
Hey Dogg! My son has the Ensemble I when I've opened a 44.1 session it matches and there's no problem. When I try opening a 48 or 96 session things get weird. I haven't been able to figure out how to change the sample rate inside the Maestro software. The Sample rate is grayed out. I currently have an HD1 which I'm selling and a MacBook Pro - I won't be getting an Ensemble. Read my signature for my plans. Others will be able to help better with the Ensemble.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:31 PM

Smile Re: Interface options

I just got a new Mackie Onyx 1640i setup. I couldn't be happier! I can track all 16 inputs simultaneously at 64 sample buffer with no errors or funny noises. I can't comment on the sound quality because I haven't really used it yet. I've only stress tested it, and it works flawlessly with PT9! Funny thing is, I have an MBox 2 Mini that I've been using up till now, and probably will continue to use for mixdown since the Mackie takes up too much space. The MBox cannot be used on my system with anything lower than a 256 buffer. 512 really since I'll get an occasional buffer underflow error at 256. The Mackie can go for at least 30 minutes at 64 with no problems. I may end up using it for mixdown too if I get too many problems with the MBox.

A word of caution: Use an Avid approved Firewire card! I thought I would save a few bucks, and tried a cheap Chinese Firewire card (ExpressCard) that claimed to have a TI chipset. I figured the chipset was all that really mattered. With the cheap Firewire card the Mackie appeared to be DOA. So I upgraded to the Avid approved SIIG Firewire card, and all the problems went away.
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs
Old 01-03-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikDraw View Post
A word of caution: Use an Avid approved Firewire card! I thought I would save a few bucks, and tried a cheap Chinese Firewire card (ExpressCard) that claimed to have a TI chipset. I figured the chipset was all that really mattered. With the cheap Firewire card the Mackie appeared to be DOA. So I upgraded to the Avid approved SIIG Firewire card, and all the problems went away.
For what it is worth, the SIIG Firewire cards are made in...you guessed it...China! So let's be careful of genearalizing the quality of product based on their country of origin. Here is a link to SIIG and at the bottom it clearly states the country of origin as China. http://www.siig.com/ViewProduct.aspx?pn=NN-E20112-S2
This may not be true for all their products but at least this one is made in China.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 01-03-2011, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
For what it is worth, the SIIG Firewire cards are made in...you guessed it...China! So let's be careful of genearalizing the quality of product based on their country of origin. Here is a link to SIIG and at the bottom it clearly states the country of origin as China. http://www.siig.com/ViewProduct.aspx?pn=NN-E20112-S2
This may not be true for all their products but at least this one is made in China.
I meant no offense to Chinese products in general. My main points were that: 1) It was a "cheap" card. 2) It was not Avid approved.

A product's country of origin is obviously not important if quality is a higher priority than low price. I offer my apology if my reference to China offended anyone. I'm quite satisfied with my Chinese manufactured SIIG Firewire card.
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs