Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2009, 08:46 AM

Default 003 Rack in a flight case - what depth?

Hi guys,

hoping someone has done this before and can help me...

i'm upgrading to a 003Rack and want to put it into a flight case.

The Digi spec is that the 003R is 13.5" deep including 'all connectors'. does this means its 13.5" deep with the power cord sticking out at the back?

If i get a 14.25" deep Gator flight case do you think i will be able to close the back without squashing the balanced jacks from the ins and outs or will it be too tight to be safe?

ho ho ho Merry Christmas!
Old 12-22-2009, 11:38 AM

Default Re: 003 Rack in a flight case - what depth?

I'd guess that that is from the top of the knobs to the end of the BNCs
I'd add at least 3" for 1/4" plugs

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-22-2009, 03:42 PM

Unsure what size my gator case is but i think it's the size your talking about. Bare in mind the front and back cases extrude allowing more space for cables and knobs etc. I can't vouch for the line in's but i leave my optical cables permanently attached and it's just fine.

Just a tip, i would always get one extra unit then you actually need. I have the 3U with my 002R and an Octopre LE, getting the cables in the back when i'm on the move is a complete PIA.

Incidentally those Gator cases are solid. I actually left my rig out in the rain one evening after a long and tiring recording session. In the morning my heart almost stopped, i patted down the case with a towel and prepared for the worst. I opened the case and everything was bone dry. Now, it's Gator for everything.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonGough View Post
Hi guys,

hoping someone has done this before and can help me...

i'm upgrading to a 003Rack and want to put it into a flight case.

The Digi spec is that the 003R is 13.5" deep including 'all connectors'. does this means its 13.5" deep with the power cord sticking out at the back?

If i get a 14.25" deep Gator flight case do you think i will be able to close the back without squashing the balanced jacks from the ins and outs or will it be too tight to be safe?

ho ho ho Merry Christmas!
If this is the one you are talking about:

http://www.gatorcases.com/Custom/Pag...CatalogID=9330

Then it says the "rackable depth" is 13". So that really doesn't sound like enough room for connectors.

I took a look at that site hoping they would have CAD drawings of the box so you could really see what they mean by "rackable depth".. But they don't..

I notice that SKB do a little better explaining it:

http://www.skbcases.com/music/produc...et=1&c=80&s=80

Their front rail to back rail dimension seems an important one..