Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 01-28-2013, 03:33 AM

Default Recommend a USB 3.0 Ext. HD

Thought it'd be easy finding a USB 3.0 drive for PT that span at 7200rpm.

It doesn't seem so.

Plenty of contradictions that seem to suggest that a good 5400rpm USB 3.0 drive can be as effective (quick) as a not so good 7200rpm USB 3.0 drive.

Any suggestions? - purely for audio I/O.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:04 AM

Default Re: Recommend a USB 3.0 Ext. HD

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firew...W800_FW400_USB

I haven't tried them using the USB3 connection, but OWC drives have always been solid with FW800, and you get both!
Old 01-28-2013, 11:12 AM

No matter what drive it is (Internal, USB, Thunderbolt or Firewire), it BETTER be 7200 RPM ... Fact!
Old 01-28-2013, 01:03 PM

You might want to share that advice with Apple who are fitting 5400rpm drives in new machines as standard.

So anyway - a USB 3.0 SATA hard drive enclosure seems a decent shout, then any drive (7200rpm) could be used.

Thanks for comments.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHH View Post
You might want to share that advice with Apple who are fitting 5400rpm drives in new machines as standard.
Then clearly they are not building their computers with Pro Tools in mind.

Faster spinning drives have a quicker 'seek time'. The protocol used to transfer data from the drive to the processor once it has been sought out, whether it be Firewire, USB2.0 USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt is a separate issue to hard drive seek time.

Putting a VW onto a formula one racetrack doesn't turn it into a racecar. The data transfer protocol is akin to a racetrack whilst the vehicle engine equates to 'seek time'.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 01-28-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHH View Post

So anyway - a USB 3.0 SATA hard drive enclosure seems a decent shout, then any drive (7200rpm) could be used.

Thanks for comments.
I suspect Pro Tools compatibility is the last thing Apple thinks about in their general consumer product configs. They know enough in general not to break say Firewire compatibility by using a non-TI chipset. But other things just should not be driven by a relatively few users Pro Tools compatibility needs.

Firstly those are typically singe drive systems drives, the 7200 rpm spec here is for the separate audio drive. But even as a system drive a 5400 rpm drive is often pretty awful, especially if you expect to run VI samples from it. Apple has to sell a wide variety of systems, including down to a lower-end more price sensitive market segment. You can purchase most Apple products with 7200 rpm drives, and Apple's fusion drives may help with some of this but the likely hood of unpredictable performance with a latency sensitive DAW application should be a concern.

IO is very important for Pro Tools and (to a somewhat lesser extent) other DAWs, and I have to question why people are still looking at rotating drives when flash drives are so affordable (especially from third parties) and have stunning performance--and you can easily install say a Samsung 840 Pro SSD drive (the drive I would currently recommended) in an external enclosure.

Darryl
Old 01-29-2013, 01:48 AM

Just to be clear, I wasn't insinuating that it was a *good* idea for Apple to put 5400 drives into their machines. Well, let's be honest it's a monumental cash saving exercise and a lot of the recent Apple customers from the iPhone generation aren't going to be bothered or even notice.

Take your point zedhed but a 7200 drive coupled with a USB 2 or USB 3 (F/W 800) - surely preferable?

So Darryl, what's the skinny with SSD then - last I looked, I didn't notice many people using for PT I/O? ... as far as 2.5" vs 3.5" goes, has that any bearing on speed?
Old 01-29-2013, 02:06 AM

Default Recommend a USB 3.0 Ext. HD

All SSD you will ever care about are 2.5". Just go buy whatever capacity Samsung 840 Pro drive you want. amazon.com or your favorite retailer. E.g. http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electr.../dp/B009NB8WRU

Many people are using SSD for Pro Tools storage and/or boot drives. You can read the many threads on DUC about this. About a year or so ago Avid just approved/recommended any SSD drive as suitable storage. That was maybe being braver than I would be, but I really see no reason to buy spinning disk for use today except archiving/backup or things like huge video RAID boxes.

If you are on a Mac do not use a USB2 caddy, USB3 maybe or FW800 with an Oxford Chipset or thunderbolt. Or buy a drive already packaged e.g. From Lacie.

Darryl
Old 01-29-2013, 07:44 AM

Cheers. Yeah, Mac user for many years. MacMini (late Oct 2012) will be coupled to this external drive and SSD sounds a plausible option then.

That Samsung drive can be acquired in the UK, a bit pricey for my modest needs but point taken on specs. and speed.

Indeed, I wouldn't attempt a caddy which wasn't F/W 800 or USB 3.0.

Cheers.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:16 PM

The Western Digital My Book 2TB (not the 1 TB) has a 7200 RPM drive inside

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••