Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-22-2008, 02:25 AM

Default Lack of CPU

Hey!

I have a Macbook Pro 2,33 3GB Ram with external FW800 harddrive. The Playback engine set to 512 and everything set for max performance. But WHY do I get the popup that the system lacks of CPU and "change the HW playback engine" blablabla all the time. I dont use very much plugins. Just 3-4 of them!! And the CPU-meters dont even reach half...

This cannot be right!

Old 03-22-2008, 03:46 AM

Default Re: Lack of CPU

Many things can cause a CPU spike that might trigger such an error (e.g background tasks like Airport/Bluetooth, Energy Saver etc). I suggest you start with the optimization tips in the troubleshooting thread,

General Troubleshooting

If you're still having problems, post back with a full system spec and details as to what steps you've tried.

help us help you

http://www.myspace.com/philogg
Old 03-24-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Many things can cause a CPU spike that might trigger such an error (e.g background tasks like Airport/Bluetooth, Energy Saver etc). I suggest you start with the optimization tips in the troubleshooting thread,

General Troubleshooting

If you're still having problems, post back with a full system spec and details as to what steps you've tried.

help us help you

Ok. I have done all the performance tasks in the optimization thread without any results....

My system is:

Macbook Pro 2,33 3gb RAM with internal 160gb EsataII hd MacOSX journaled formatted approx 2 yrs old. PT LE 7.3.1 installed on internal HD with all the plugins. External 500gb Firewire 800 MacOSX journaled connected with FW800 cable. All sessions and recordings done on the external HD. Mbox 2 audio interface connected with usb2.0 cable. Everything is running on OSX 10.4.9.

I had a newer Macbook 2,16 3gb ram before with no CPU errors...

Old 03-24-2008, 10:51 AM

It maybe the FW800, have you tried using FW400, obviously the standard MB doesn't have 800.

Cheers
Old 03-24-2008, 10:52 AM

Have you tried the other USB port for your MBox2? Sometimes the laptops are picky about what USB port you're using.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:00 AM

I have tried with FW400 and also changed between USB ports...

Old 03-24-2008, 11:27 AM
Avid

Quote:
Quote:

General Troubleshooting

help us help you

Ok. I have done all the performance tasks in the optimization thread without any results....

My system is:

Macbook Pro 2,33 3gb RAM with internal 160gb EsataII hd MacOSX journaled formatted approx 2 yrs old. PT LE 7.3.1 installed on internal HD with all the plugins. External 500gb Firewire 800 MacOSX journaled connected with FW800 cable. All sessions and recordings done on the external HD. Mbox 2 audio interface connected with usb2.0 cable. Everything is running on OSX 10.4.9.

Also, what are the error numbers in those messages?
Old 03-26-2008, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

General Troubleshooting

help us help you

My system is:

Also, what are the error numbers in those messages?

The constant error numer is -6101

// Mattias
Old 03-26-2008, 08:58 AM
Avid

Quote:
The constant error numer is -6101

6101 errors are almost always caused by using the incorrect USB port. Make sure the Mbox 2 is connected to the left USB port, trash preferences and test again.

If that is unsuccessful, try disconnecting the FW800 drive and test again.

If that is unsuccessful, try removing all plug-ins from your plug-ins folder, trash preferences and test again.

If that's unsuccessful, let us know and we'll dig a little further.