Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 11-09-2021, 08:08 AM
Avid

Default Re: Q regarding how to connect TC Clarity M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Thanks for all your input but can Kyle or eddie for example show me how to as the page setup in carbon the left 2 boxes says N/A in Carborn page weather i set the right boxes to any of the choices. The 2 left boxes where I presume I should be able to chose adat/aes/spdif says N/A so where am i missing a setting? In PT or Audio-midi setup or where?

Thanks

Removed my older thread as it didn’t work with the old version but should be working now with new Carbon Firmware and PT2021.10

Here is the new post I wrote today and this shouldn’t be sooo difficult!

Been trying to get our two TC Clarity M stereo units working now when the Optical ports on Carbon is supposed to work as adat/spdif and I connected one optican from the TC to Carbon optical port and I dont know where to change the settings in the software and or PTultimate as I cant get the TC to get a connection green light. Been called by support but as time difference seem to be 9 hrs we were in the middle of tracking so my phone wasn’t even on so I really understand why people get green in their face grying to get and help with a 4000 dollar interface and mind you we bought 2 Carbon and with conversion it is about 9700-10.000 USD for both so please can eddie or someone else who knows this help please!? Been helping you (Avid) for 8-9 years so Think I am entitled to 5 minutes of your time?
Let's discuss this here: https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=417731
Berkeley, CA
Old 11-09-2021, 08:53 AM

Default Re: Can anyone do a step by step on using the optical as adat

What may not be clear is that you will need to fire up 2021.10 at least once with the Carbon powered on and selected as your playback engine, to update the firmware, to get the S/PDIF option to appear.

Dominic
Old 11-10-2021, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
TC Clarity M stereo only accepts SPDIF signal (not ADAT)

To change what the Carbon is sending, in Pro Tools, go to Hardware Setup, Optical I/O page.

Switch this to S/PDIF
Thanks Kyle aswell but it says N/A in both the left boxes so can change the right ones but the two left boxes says N/A whatever I set the left ones to (Adat/Spdif)

So what is what might be wrong here?

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-10-2021, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
What may not be clear is that you will need to fire up 2021.10 at least once with the Carbon powered on and selected as your playback engine, to update the firmware, to get the S/PDIF option to appear.

Dominic
Carbons have been restarted and firmware updates been done after installing 2021.10 Thanks

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-10-2021, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Splittgerber View Post
Check out Page 19 of What’s New guide which has the relevant Optical S/PDIF routing info. Ensure that the ADAT OUT port you’re connecting the optical cable to on Carbon is configured for S/PDIF in Hardware Setup.

What's the Input Mode (2) set to on the Clarity's System page? I'm looking at Page 15 in the guide and looks like you may be able to switch that between AES and S/PDIF. But, I have never used the Clarity device so I don't know how it needs to be configured.
Thanks but we have the TC M Stereo not surround, however we tried all options there from Discdrive and everything except USB as thats never been used before.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-10-2021, 08:05 AM
Avid

Quote:
Thanks Kyle aswell but it says N/A in both the left boxes so can change the right ones but the two left boxes says N/A whatever I set the left ones to (Adat/Spdif)

So what is what might be wrong here?
Left ones are for input and show N/A because you don't have an optical input connected to those ports. If you did, it will instead show the format (ADAT or S/PDIF) being received on that port.

Right ones are for output and require you to select the format you're using for those ports. So, if ADAT OUT 1 is connected to the Clarity, then its format should be set to S/PDIF. If ADAT OUT 2 is connected to the Clarity, then its format should be set to S/PDIF. In Pro Tools, you must then route to either ADAT 1: 1-2 or ADAT 2: 1-2 depending on which port you're using. This is what's explained in the What's New guide where you can mult your MON L-R output to ADAT 1: 1-2 or ADAT 2: 1-2.

As a simple test, do this:
-In Hardware Setup, set ADAT 1 Out port to S/PDIF
-Connect optical cable from ADAT 1 Out port on Carbon to Clarity
-Create a new session at 44.1
-Create a new track with some audio on it and set the track output to ADAT 1: 1-2
-Ensure Clarity is configured to receive S/PDIF input
-Play back in Pro Tools and see if Clarify receives the signal
Berkeley, CA
Old 11-10-2021, 08:06 AM
Avid

Quote:
Thanks but we have the TC M Stereo not surround, however we tried all options there from Discdrive and everything except USB as thats never been used before.
From what I can tell that guide is also for the stereo version:

"CLARITY M/CLARITY M STEREO
Desktop Audio Meter with 7" High Resolution Display and USB Connection for Plug-In Metering"

https://tcfurlong.com/wp-content/upl...tal-manual.pdf
Berkeley, CA
Old 11-10-2021, 08:15 AM

Point is the box has previously been working on SPDIF optical, and the trouble is getting Carbon to output that instead of ADAT optical. Am I right, Chris? Using the same cabling as before would be most convenient.
Old 11-10-2021, 10:30 AM

Not that this may help but since I've been in situations where simple TOSLINK things don't work for stupid reasons. Let me suggest some stupid tests.

What sample rate are you working at?

Try to quickly debug this with other stuff. If you hook up a S/PDIF in headphone amp to the Carbon output can you hear output?

Don't even have an digital in headphone amp? Try looping back a TOSLINK cable to the Carbon and confirm it sees S/PDIF in from it's S/PDIF out.

Have anything with S/PDIF out, a CD-player anything, using the same TOSLINK cable confirm the meter works to that, yes even if it worked before.

Oh and look in the TOSLINK ports/on cable ends. Yes even if stuff worked elsewhere. The stupid little end caps have a way of ending up jammed in there. From *somebody else* forgetting to remove them.

Does anybody have one of these meter running from a Carbon S/PDIF output?

I would hope the meter reads all flavors of S/PDIF and S/PDIF like signals and that Carbon outputs without copy protect flag and no pre-emphasis... OK nobody would deliberately do that, but I hope it's been checked, and the consumer flag is set correctly for SPDIF over TOSLINK. (This paragraph is more a grumble... I just wish vendors would clarify in documentation exactly what S/PDIF and flags they set/accept/ignore).

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-10-2021 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-10-2021, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Not that this may help but since I've been in situations where simple TOSLINK things don't work for stupid reasons. Let me suggest some stupid tests.

What sample rate are you working at?

Try to quickly debug this with other stuff. If you hook up a S/PDIF in headphone amp to the Carbon output can you hear output?

Don't even have an digital in headphone amp? Try looping back a TOSLINK cable to the Carbon and confirm it sees S/PDIF in from it's S/PDIF out.

Have anything with S/PDIF out, a CD-player anything, using the same TOSLINK cable confirm the meter works to that, yes even if it worked before.

Oh and look in the TOSLINK ports/on cable ends. Yes even if stuff worked elsewhere. The stupid little end caps have a way of ending up jammed in there. From *somebody else* forgetting to remove them.

Does anybody have one of these meter running from a Carbon S/PDIF output?

I would hope the meter reads all flavors of S/PDIF and S/PDIF like signals and that Carbon outputs without copy protect flag and no pre-emphasis... OK nobody would deliberately do that, but I hope it's been checked, and the consumer flag is set correctly for SPDIF over TOSLINK. (This paragraph is more a grumble... I just wish vendors would clarify in documentation exactly what S/PDIF and flags they set/accept/ignore).
Just FYI.
My RME ADI-2 Pro fs says that the S/PDIF is pro level, not consumer. And it also doesn't like it and won't play anything. As detailed in another thread....
https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=417174
oh yeah, the other thread on exactly the same subject...