a monintor station
two speakers
27" imac system running pro tools 10
Old 04-27-2013, 04:30 PM

Lightbulb Re: connecting my studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by aagom View Post
2 external hard drives, one for time machine and the other as my audio drive
Connect the audio drive to the iMac and connect the time machine drive to the audio drive.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:06 PM

Default Re: connecting my studio

1) get a firewire repeater/hub. About 160 bucks. The one I use is a Nitro AV.
Worth the money. True bandwidth, and chaining slows it down.

2) Skip time machine. Get Cronosync. Far better.

3) Monitor station, I assume you mean something to control the volume of your speaker monitors.

If so, get a Presonus Central station. Best bang for the buck, sound is great. I have no analog paths anymore, so I can't comment on its analog inputs.

the digital path is stellar out to the speakers. There is probably something better but not at that price.

I've tested a whole line of things and my path to the central station is different. But, it does sound excellent.

An external clock will make it sound better, but that's just more cash out.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:39 PM

Default how to connect my system

please i got a new iMac 27" system that does not have firewire port. i got protools 10 with mbox pro. i equally got 2 external hard drives(2tb each)

pleae how can i connect them?
Old 08-17-2013, 03:36 PM

Default Re: how to connect my system

aagom,,

Does ur Imac have thunderbolt ?

Assuming the system with 2 thunderbolt ports.This could do the job

http://store.apple.com/ca/product/MD...rewire-adapter

Pls have your full system spec listed so anyone can help you better.. !!
Old 08-17-2013, 05:58 PM

Default Re: how to connect my system

Quote:
please i got a new iMac 27" system that does not have firewire port. i got protools 10 with mbox pro. i equally got 2 external hard drives(2tb each)

pleae how can i connect them?
We can't help you until you help us and tell us what connection type your drives use - are they firewire (and if so FW 400 or FW 800), USB, Thunderbolt? If Thunderbolt your iMac has 2 ports for that purpose. Sounds like you have one of the newest iMacs without firewire. Apple sells a Thunderbolt to Firewire 800 adapter - get one or two of those and connect the drives to each TB port. If you only want to use 1 TB port connect the samples drives to the adapter first and then the Time Machine drive to that drive's second port. That's if your drives are firewire.

If USB are they USB 2 or USB 3? If USB 3 that's a direct connect to the USB 3 ports on your iMac. If USB 2 I think you can connect them to the USB 3 ports on the computer but I'm not sure about that.

What are the specs on your drives? Hopefully 7200 rpm platter speed and not a so-called green drive that is supposed to save energy but is not good for recording.

QAPLA!
Old 08-20-2013, 03:01 AM

my system is the latest slim 27" iMac, my hard drives have both fire and usb 3.0 port. so what am asking is since i have two TB port on my system and i need 1 for connecting my mbox to my system while using the second one for my secondary screen. my hard drives are 2tb G-tec drives. should i connect my drivers directly to my system using a usb 3.0 cable or should i connect it to the mbox using a firewire?

thanks for all the previous suggestions.

sorry for my poor english
Old 08-20-2013, 03:36 AM

Quote:
my system is the latest slim 27" iMac, my hard drives have both fire and usb 3.0 port. so what am asking is since i have two TB port on my system and i need 1 for connecting my mbox to my system while using the second one for my secondary screen. my hard drives are 2tb G-tec drives. should i connect my drivers directly to my system using a usb 3.0 cable or should i connect it to the mbox using a firewire?

thanks for all the previous suggestions.

sorry for my poor english
Since the drives have USB 3 and the iMac has multiple USB 3 ports I'd go that route - connect each one to a separate USB port. That way you're not sharing 1 data stream with drives and audio if you daisy-chained them off the firewire adapter. Get a TB to Firewire 800 adapter from Apple to hookup your audio and you should be good to go.

QAPLA!