Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 08-12-2003, 01:40 AM

Default FW800 options

hey.

i need a new drive. i was looking for firewire 800.

granite says they wont release anything till november. so that rules out getting one of their case and a cheap drive.

the other two options i see are OWC and EZquest.
the question is which. OWC offers an 8MB buffer, does that actually do anything? and it has that evil wall wart. EZquest has an internal PSU with fans... but has 2MB buffers, and their case is butt ugly.

any other options out there that people are buying into? though the ezquest at 250 doesnt look too shabby.

thanks
Old 08-12-2003, 03:07 AM

Default Re: FW800 options

Quote:
Originally posted by sweetness:
i need a new drive. i was looking for firewire 800.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I see that one company, Firewire Direct, is already selling some Firewire 800 drives, plus they've also got an enclosure for about $140.

One of their competitors, Firewire Depot, has got even more stuff. I've never bought from either company, and I'm kinda disappointed that Granite Digital is dragging their heels getting into FW800.

--Marc W.
Old 08-12-2003, 04:40 AM

OWC and Wiebetech are the ones I would go for. Personally, I like the OWC power supply brick because it means no fan for the enclosure.
Old 08-12-2003, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by auxsend1:
OWC and Wiebetech are the ones I would go for. Personally, I like the OWC power supply brick because it means no fan for the enclosure.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Just don't stick a Western Digital Jumbo cache drive into one of these enclosures. They heat up too much...they need a fan.
Old 08-12-2003, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by s2n:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by auxsend1:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Just don't stick a Western Digital Jumbo cache drive into one of these enclosures. They heat up too much...they need a fan. <hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Really? I pulled the CD drive out of my 867 G4 so I could get a third internal ATA drive. Apple didn't want you to do that because there's insufficient capability to dissipate heat, so I shopped around for a cool-running drive and the winner was... Western Digital. Since then, haven't had any problems. Was I misinformed?
Old 08-12-2003, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by s2n:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by auxsend1:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Just don't stick a Western Digital Jumbo cache drive into one of these enclosures. They heat up too much...they need a fan. <hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">thats funny. the only OWC unit i have bought was with a WD jumbo cache drive in it. anything i should look out for?

but i still dont understand what is this jumbo cache and why isnt anyone else using it? i dont want to deal with a wall wart, so is the 8MB cache just hype?
Old 08-12-2003, 08:50 PM

sweetness,

How many tracks are you using on the single drive? 64 tracks or less doesn't even come close to touching the bandwidth of an internal 7200 rpm.

The 8 meg cache makes little difference to PT. The specs to look for are the read/write times for the cache to the medium when dealing with non-scsi drives.

IMO, all drives should have a fan near them. All 7200+ RPM drives run darn hot! The more recent drives are quite a bit thinner and allow for more airflow around the drive, so, they tend to run a little cooler.

I wouldn't stress about drive selection. Almost everything on the market today as far as the actual drive is concerned handles most if not all projects with no problem at all.

For a chassis, avoid wall warts.
Old 08-13-2003, 01:03 AM

Stay away from Firewire 800 PCI cards with Protools. I have done extensive testing with theses cards and Protools. They hog the PCI bandwith from PT and the speed is the same as using the internal FW 400.
I have not tested FW 800 on any of the new Macs with built in FW 800. I am just talking about adding a F/W 800 card to a older QS G4.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by roberts:
Stay away from Firewire 800 PCI cards with Protools..
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">yeah, i will use the FW400 till i get a new mac, but i just wanted to be set up to use FW800 when the time comes. all these 800 chassis are supposed to be backwards compatible with 400. do you think that affects performace? also theres a 400 port on all these, but if its on the oxford 922 chipset, than its spitting out the same 800 info. no?

thanks again!