How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2012, 09:24 AM

Default Synergy

Is anyone familiar with Synergy?

Basically, what it does is allows you to share a single keyboard and mouse independently between multiple desktops, utilizing a network connection for the server to communicate with the other systems. I have employed this in my studio and allows me to seamlessly work between my PC and Mac systems.

I am wondering if it can be incorporated to be used with VENUE. In order to use it, you have to have the "server" (which is the actual computer the keyboard and mouse is connected to) and the "clients" (which are the computers that "share" the keyboard and mouse. To define the systems, you need to install software. Will VENUE's restrictions on the Windows software allow this to operate?

I'd like to setup two monitors on the VENUE one for the system and the other for the FOH ProTools system and using the VENUE's keyboard control both systems.

Sheldon, thoughts? If the software can be installed, I'm not sure if it would be available from with in the D-Show software. I don't know if when the D-Show is online if it loads the other applications in the background.

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 01-01-2012, 10:16 AM

Default Re: Synergy

while an interesting idea, and one I use at home. I would suggest a hardware KVM with a remote switch you can mount anywhere. Just seems "safer"
Mac Pro 2x2.8GHz Quad-Core, 14gigs of ram
Macbook Pro w/Retina Display, 2.3Ghz i7, 16gigs of ram
Old 01-01-2012, 06:18 PM

True, I was just trying to develop a way or working around having a KVM and having to fondle around with that in an emergency. I have been using this setup for about two years and it has worked flawlessly at my studio...

If I can find out a little bit more from Sheldon as to if "Windows is actually running" in the background or if it is the actual VENUE software...and if background applications will even work, I'd probably make the VENUE the server and Mac the client...my thoughts behind that is the VENUE is just about the most stable "computer" I've used. No offense, Mac. Just because its only job is to run the VENUE software. I have had to reboot the Mac on occasion...during shows.

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 01-11-2012, 08:38 AM
Avid

Hi Ken,

The operating system is stripped down form a normal Win XP installation, so it's possible that not all services will be available to run software other than what the system was designed for. And of course it's not recommended to run unqualified apps in addition to the VENUE software, so you'd be taking pretty big risk. KVM is the way to go...

Sheldon