Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 09-17-2021, 04:57 AM

Default Re: GUI short freeze and beachball still on 2021.7

Clean install is still the only way to have a known starting point. That is what we did on a regular basis on the Beta Team, the age of hardware had nothing to do with it as we were testing software.
Old 09-17-2021, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbottomend View Post
JFreak, you've made your position clear. I've said my bit. The thing to understand is that if we consistently follow certain behaviour, we will inevitably suffer from confirmation bias that it is the best course of action. Flexibility is the key and the means to better understanding and peace.

The important question is: do you use Waves 12?

I am using Waves 12. I’m getting the SWODs on my M1 Mac Mini running OS 11.4. PT 2021.7

I will remove the Waves plugs and report back any improvements. I’m not going to do a clean install of the OS, so that will not affect any results of this test.
Old 09-17-2021, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
I am using Waves 12. I’m getting the SWODs on my M1 Mac Mini running OS 11.4. PT 2021.7

I will remove the Waves plugs and report back any improvements. I’m not going to do a clean install of the OS, so that will not affect any results of this test.
I feel seen
Old 09-17-2021, 08:39 AM

Nobody has time for a clean install. Doesn't matter anyways. It's never the issue with osx.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2021, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbottomend View Post
To give some perspective on the OS update method of troubleshooting: I am the opposite of those that advocate this approach. I have done maybe 2 of these in my 18 years of using Pro Tools HD/Ultimate as a post production mixer - that's been my sole income source, as in every day use, running multiple rigs over dozens of OS iterations. Huge sessions, lots of plug-ins. So when things haven't been running properly, it was usually a result of either 3rd party software, or conflicts between Mac OS and PT. These clean installs may possibly make your systems run better, but they are a time consuming pain in the bum IMHO, and only to be used as a last resort if your software won't work AT ALL. (And I would try making a new user profile every time before going down this path.)

Anyway, as per my previous post on this thread, can someone who uses Waves 12.7 please confirm my hypothesis? I've reached out to their support team but I'd like some backup...

Thanks!
Nathan
I've been closely watching this situation and I also suspected an issue with waves. I can tell you I've seen the beachball happen on sessions without waves plugins, so I don't think that waves is the issue.

The one thing that seems to consistently trigger it is scrolling quickly through the mix or edit window. The scrolling is choppy at the best of times, and occasionally will freeze. I've seen this on plugin-less sessions.

I'm using 2021.7 . I'm getting far fewer beachballs with this version than I did with 2021.6 . I'm sticking with .7 for now since it's tolerable and gives me extra i/o . Occasionally I boot into 2021.3.1 when I need video.

Re: the "clean install" issue. I tried and it did not work for me. The one person here who is suggesting that persistently, should you ask them to clarify how their system works, will tell you that they are basing the suggestion on running a test session where they record blank audio. In my opinion this isn't a valid basis for that suggestion, since there's no correlation between that testing method and any type of real-world professional pro tools use case.

I understand the concept that doing a clean install will rule out user-specific or system-specific problems. However, this bug is widespread & consistent enough that it would be a remarkable coincidence that it's actually just thousands of unique system-specific bugs all yielding the same problems.
Old 09-17-2021, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
Nobody has time for a clean install.
Of course not, but everyone has time to troubleshoot random errors...
Old 09-17-2021, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Of course not, but everyone has time to troubleshoot random errors...
Clean install doesn't fix anything. It's always something else.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2021, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
Clean install doesn't fix anything. It's always something else.
Except that it dees. Every time I upgrade my OS I do the upgrade first, benchmark the system, then do clean install when I have time. After clean install it always performs better with fewer problems. This transitioning to Apple Silicon is obviously an exception to the rule, because most software is running on Rosetta, but I have used every operating system version since OSX first release so I am not totally clueless about this.
Old 09-17-2021, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Except that it dees. Every time I upgrade my OS I do the upgrade first, benchmark the system, then do clean install when I have time. After clean install it always performs better with fewer problems. This transitioning to Apple Silicon is obviously an exception to the rule, because most software is running on Rosetta, but I have used every operating system version since OSX first release so I am not totally clueless about this.
I appreciate that you're trying to help. But there is a big difference between "could help some problems" and "DOES help THIS problem".
Old 09-17-2021, 10:57 AM

Of course I know that.

But my beta team background reflects on the question, that seems to be hard to understand for some. Because I know first hand that unless you have a known starting point (clean install) there are plenty of random things that may or may not affect to the situation. Which is why it is important to make that clean install every now and then.

Now that they are releasing macOS Monterey soon, that would be a good place to do it. As for myself (not being in beta team any longer) I would skip the dot-zero release, but once they release the first bug fix release, what I do is first update the system the apple way, let all libraries update, see what is broken, benchmark, backup, and then plan a good weekend for a clean install. After that I can pretty much assume I can use that platform until The Next Place is introduced, which is likely one year later.

Many people do not understand that all software that is installed will have some effect on your system. Avid does not have any idea what it is that causes thes random kinds of problems unless you have started from clean install of OS (wihtout any kind of automatic migration tools).

Don't shoot the messenger if you do not like the message.