Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2016, 09:12 AM

Default Re: 12.5.1 Still has lagging GUI with AIR Plugins

Using any DAW with 10+ chunks and a large V-Rack will cause sluggishness, at least in Digital Performer I can record basic audio with a simple compressor and EQ and not have the GUI go nuts. Which for me, at this point in time is my main gripe with ProTools. I cannot accomplish simple tasks with out the software freaking out. I fully realize in hindsight that I never should have updated OS, but quite frankly it had never been an issue before. Beyond that the reasoning behind releasing PT12 in the first place was to be compatible with El Capitan. To make matters worse in the official press release for 12.5 Avid claims that the GUI problem has been fixed, which those with at least a little familiarity with legal procedure recognize as legitimate false advertisement. Now I know the only true fix for this is to roll back to an older OS. Perhaps stubbornly, I don't feel that I should have to. I paid for a subscription to a product that does not function as advertised. PT is the only software on my system that does not function properly with El Capitan so why should I wipe my computer clean, and roll back to an older OS on the hope that it might function properly again. I have wasted enough time and money on trying to get a stable build of Pro Tools running on my system, wiping my computer clean and starting over does not sit well with me. I will not support or endorse a product that cannot perform simple tasks and have warned those I know working professionally (people at FOX, Universal, Nintendo, EA Games and others) that it is not safe to upgrade OS if using ProTools. Many of these people have already logged complaints with Avid after not heeding my advice. Thankfully there are plenty of other fish in the sea, unfortunately I just had to learn the hard way, that Avid simply wants your/our money nothing more. They have proven that they would rather release a buggy, feature laden software package than to release a stable product that works for all users. I reiterate that Pro Tools is no longer a tool that can be used by professionals as it can not even accommodate my amateur needs.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:35 AM

I hear you but you need to make a decision about wether you want to only complain or actually do something within your control that may fix your problem. Avid has lots of folks complaining about lots stuff at the moment your voice is likely lost in the crowd. And if indeed macOS Sierra fixes folk's graphics issues I doubt a fix from Avid on current OS X releases is likely at all.

Where is your backup from before the El Capitan upgrade? On a bootable drive? What was your plan if the El Crapitan upgrade blew up? If you boot that backup do you get usable graphics performance? If no, you should try disabling beam sync with Xcode quartz debug on that if you did not before? Beam sync/vsync/coalescence changes in OS X were one of the things that caused poor graphic performance for Pro Tools, some other DAWS and many many other apps (go read posts about all the pissed off VMware Fusion users). This was a fairly well know issue that many folks were working around with Quartz debug, and El Crapitan took away that work-around. WTF was Apple thinking. And yes double WTF was Avid thinking not warning about this with saying they support El Capitan, that's the most brain dead thing here, they were way behind issues customers were already seeing. Of course nobody here can guarantee that the exact problem you are seeing will be fixed by disabling beam sync, you have to try it.

If you have no bootable backup you still don't need to blow anything away, at least not to start with. Grab a spare disk drive or create a new partition on a current drive and install Mavericks or Yosemite on that. Install ILM, Pro Tools and your interface driver and a known graphics misbehaving plugin, test and see if the graphics are better, if not install the XCode Quartz debug utility and disable beam sync. Is that better? No. reboot to your current system and keep going/suffering waiting for Avid. if yes then you can spend time reinstalling everything else. If you are organized it should take ~2 hours to find out if rolling back is a win or not.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:39 AM

According to Pro Tools Expert, this GUI lagging issue is gone with macOS Sierra, and was Apple's fault to begin with.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
It is not clear exactly what problems you are talking about, but for slow/stuttering graphics have you tried the "beam sync" GUI work around that has been well discussed on DUC? Available on OS X 10.10 and earlier, not available in 10.11.
of course I tried BeamSync Control app & Quartz debug.

In this case, There are none for Beamsync.
This bug cause ALL 64bit-protools system since PT11 with OS10.9.5 - OS10.11

I expect it in macOS sierra.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modulo2008 View Post
of course I tried BeamSync Control app & Quartz debug.

In this case, There are none for Beamsync.
This bug cause ALL 64bit-protools system since PT11 with OS10.9.5 - OS10.11

I expect it in macOS sierra.
OK cool, the only other thing you can really look at is your GPU in your Mac Pro. Not clear what you are running but others have had relief from (what sounds like these) graphics problems by upgrading the GPU.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:47 PM

Again I'm fully aware that rolling back to an old OS MIGHT fix issues with PT12. In my mind if I roll back, I would just use PT11 which I KNOW will work than continue struggling with PT12. That said having to reinstall all my other software, downloading sample libraries, and essentially starting from scratch because AVID didn't have their crap together when releasing PT12 is hardly seems worth it. Since AVID's solution to this problem is ignore it until it goes away, my solution will simply be to use the many other tools available to me that will work on my system and live with the fact that I wasted my money on a subscription for a buggy non-functional product. However, that doesn't mean that because I have made those concessions that I am going to sit quietly, I am going to continue to share my experience with every audio professional I know. Admittedly, that means there will be some complaining and venting, but that doesn't mean that it is all in vain.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:51 PM

In my case, I can't roll back to a previous version of OSX because my computer shipped with El Capitan. My old iMac died and I didn't realize there was an issue until it was too late. I also don't want to buy an older computer, I'd rather wait for a fix.

Anyway, for me it's not just AIR plugins or the counter, it's the playhead during playback whenever I move the mouse. It's still totally usable, just drives me crazy because I zip around and zoom in/out a lot while I work.

So I assume 12.5.1 hasn't fixed this issue with El Capitan (pretty sure I'm on 10.11.3)?

At least it seems like it'll be fixed in the next OS
Old 05-20-2017, 08:49 AM

Is this still an issue for others? Do people just not use the AIR Flanger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by remute View Post
The AIR plugs have been borked for years - the Flanger Mix knob hasn't worked since, what PT 10? and the Frequency Shift is fundamentally broken.
AIR say it's AVID's problem.

AVID do nothing to fix it.

Users get left to deal with the resulting mess.
Old 07-29-2017, 01:19 PM

FYI guys its not only Apple OS doing this...
I'm on current update of Windows 10 and I still have this issue.
Its not a performance thing either. I will get this bug on a session with one track and inserting one of their plugins.
I also have a 1080 TI so I doubt GPU processing is an issue.
Granted the one thing that might be for me is I am on LG's 34" 4k Ultra Wide visual monitor. I have only ever had an issue with ultra wide on one other program and it was a free Steam game.
Seems like too much coincidence for this to be a 4k ultra wide issue though. And I would think I would see it on other plugins, which I don't.
Old 07-29-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyh3dron View Post
According to Pro Tools Expert, this GUI lagging issue is gone with macOS Sierra, and was Apple's fault to begin with.
I can confirm this