Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2013, 07:58 PM

Lightbulb Solution to the error -9514 on Windows 8 (memory / cache / DAE buffer)

Right, after reading this forum inside out and tried all sort of things, the solution to this error is very simple.

1 - Right click on the Pro Tools 10.3.3 installer > properties > compatibility > check the box and make it compatible with Windows 7 > then, check the box "Run this program as administrator" (same applies to the Digidesign 003 driver 9.0.2.65)

2 - Once installed, you may get a crash error when launching Pro Tools, it has to be added to the DEP
Control Panel > System > Advanced System Settings > Under the box Performance click on Settings > go to the tab Data Execution Prevention > Turn on DEP... (reboot required) > then, click on "add..." > search for ProTools.exe and you are done.

*Note : Also, it may be a good idea to delete all the preferences before reinstalling it.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Avid\Pro Tools\Databases\Unicode\Volumes
C:\Program Files (x86)\Avid\Pro Tools\DAE\DAE Prefs
C:\Users\Users Name\AppData\Roaming\Avid\Pro Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 02:48 AM

Default Re: Solution to the error -9514 on Windows 8 (memory / cache / DAE buffer)

Also worth noting is that you should also right click the Pro Tools launch Icon and set it to run in Win 7 Comp mode and check the run as administrator.

Also another thing I noted was that when you run the installer, right click and hit the security tab and make sure all the permissions settings are set to allow for Admin, trusted installers and also Users.

Do the same for the Launch Icon also.

This resolved the -9514 DAE error for me.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:42 AM

Default Re: Solution to the error -9514 on Windows 8 (memory / cache / DAE buffer)

This works on my windows 8 too.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:05 AM

All,

I'm having this very same issue. But unfortunately for me, nothing I do, including your recommendations in this post and another post which recommends backing down to v10.3.1 works.

History - I was running 10.3.2 successfully on Win 8 for a long period of time with no issues. Due to an OS corruption, unrelated to PT10, I decided to do a full machine fresh reload of Win 8 and reinstall everything from scratch. Here I am, unable to use PT and of course, no support due to it not being supported yet.

The only difference that I can think of is that the previous instance of WIn8 was done as an in-place upgrade from Win7. This latest upgrade was a fresh install of Win8. Perhaps the in-place upgrade retained some things from Win7 mysteriously behind the scenes?

I'd appreciate knowing if ANYONE has anything else to offer. I'm afraid I'm at my wits end. PT support says either reinstall Win7 and call back for help, or wait til the next gen comes out, which could be forever in my book.

Thoughts? Prayers? Promises? :)
Old 03-22-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iasandy View Post
All,

I'm having this very same issue. But unfortunately for me, nothing I do, including your recommendations in this post and another post which recommends backing down to v10.3.1 works.

History - I was running 10.3.2 successfully on Win 8 for a long period of time with no issues. Due to an OS corruption, unrelated to PT10, I decided to do a full machine fresh reload of Win 8 and reinstall everything from scratch. Here I am, unable to use PT and of course, no support due to it not being supported yet.

The only difference that I can think of is that the previous instance of WIn8 was done as an in-place upgrade from Win7. This latest upgrade was a fresh install of Win8. Perhaps the in-place upgrade retained some things from Win7 mysteriously behind the scenes?

I'd appreciate knowing if ANYONE has anything else to offer. I'm afraid I'm at my wits end. PT support says either reinstall Win7 and call back for help, or wait til the next gen comes out, which could be forever in my book.

Thoughts? Prayers? Promises? :)
This misery could have been avoided if you had used drive imaging

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-22-2013, 10:24 AM

Hi,

Doesn't right click "Run as Administrator" work?
Old 03-22-2013, 10:27 AM

Albee, Drive imaging could have potentially copied the corruption from the old to the new with it. And thanks for the productive input....

Bharath, yes, ADMIN all the way. Properties were changes in the EXE/launch to Win7 compat mode, etc. Everything PySikE lists and then some.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:36 AM

Can anything be edited and forced via REGEDIT to help???
Old 03-22-2013, 10:37 AM

Usually installer sets up some permissions. (9514 indicates one or two such permission hasn't been set). Let me see what I can do.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iasandy View Post
Can anything be edited and forced via REGEDIT to help???
Try this:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190730.aspx

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit