Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2011, 08:43 PM

Default Split midi notes? Workflow?

Have Xpand 2 midi track with multiple drum sounds,n midi notes in a single clip.
I then use the event operations split midi notes option..
I choose all notes to split by a new track per pitch...

Okay now that I have these all split onto new midi tracks, why ias it that Xpand 2 doesn't follow these tracks? What is the workflow here with this?
Do I have to then choose midi channels for each newly created midi track or what? Why is it that PT can just do this for me?

Next I solo a midi track that has been split, but there's no audio if I solo the midi track?? Do I have to also re route audio to the midi track, where's the right workflow here??

Any tips out there?? thanks in advance!
Akai MPK 88|Novation 61SL MKII |Grace 101|Focusrite Pre
Monitor Station|HP4|Faderport|DynAudio Bm5a MK2|Event Tr8|22 GIK Traps|2Ears
Software: Pro Tools 9.03|Logic 9|Studio One Pro
Old 08-06-2011, 09:30 PM

Default Re: Split midi notes? Workflow?

Yes, route each split midi track to that instance of Xpand. To solo a split midi track, you have to also solo the Instrument track as that's the actual audio channel for Xpand.

At least while working on those tracks, it might simplify things to put the XPand Instrument track in solo-defeat so you don't have to shift-select solo it with others everytime.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:01 PM

It's pretty stereotypical of low-end products like Xpand! where functionality isn't that integrated. Where as products like AIR Strike, FXpansion BFD, Geist support a higher level of self contained functionality. Try setting up a Template.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:36 AM

Hi,
this doesn't have really anything to do with Xpand,fwiw I think Xpand is the best plugin I've played in awhile,and I wish Avid would allow it make it a vsti vs just rtas! it's more or less a problem with PT.

Here's what I'm saying take the daw Studio One for example - if I split a a drum track's midi clip to dissolve the parts, it separates the individual midi notes,but the instrument is on all the tracks after the new split.. So I don't have to go reassigning midi channels etc.. great workflow!

And then if I want to solo say a kick,and a hat, the instrument is in tact,and I can do this,and the workflow is there.. with Pro Tools ,unless I'm missing something,this workflow is not possible,and slows one down.. I get what your saying about a template,but I have enough skills to play the drums all in one pass,and prefer not to have to play a kick, then record a snare,then record a hat.. slooooow not fun..

I don't own any of those other plugins,and to be honest I shouldn't have to.. I own other plugins like Maschine,BPM,M52,others,and it's the same problem.
This isn't a Xpand problem,it's a weak workflow issue for Pro Tools and imo if after 9 versions they don't get i,they never will..

Thanks goodness for other daws..
Old 08-07-2011, 01:19 AM

That's integration I really don't think we'll ever see between Pro Tools and AIR Virtual Instruments. Don't get me wrong that sort of functionality is top of my wish list but in reality I don't hold my breath. There are bigger fish to fry.

Xpand!2 has a lot to offer but compared with AIR Strike or FXpansion BFD or Geist that are truly self contained modules, Xpand! is in comparison limited.

I guess all you can do is submit your Feature Request at IdeaScale. Good luck.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:19 AM

It isn't that difficult to shift-select the separated midi track and assign them to the Instrument track all at once.

Copied routing isn't a limitation of the VI - it would only take a preference for newly assigned midi tracks to take the routing of the previous track (and perhaps there is one - not in front of PT at the moment).

As far as DAWs that "duplicate" a single VI's routing, including audio channel routing, on multiple tracks - that becomes a serious pain to deal with when you have a lot of VIs - say a scoring template.

RTAS/PT's approach actually makes more sense in that respect - it's a single destination that can't be confused with dozens of "multipurpose" tracks that happen to look identical, save some time consuming manual color coding (such as with Reaper).
Old 08-07-2011, 06:23 PM

Confuse with dozens of multipurpose tracks?? Have you actually tried what I'm talking about in Studio One?

It definitely doesn't get confused..

It simply routes the audio correctly to the mixer and midi instruments to the separated midi tracks.. Then in fact you can bounce and be done... whereas PT you have to realtime bounce- slooooow!

PT is far behind Studio One in this regard.Workflow hello???
Old 08-07-2011, 07:06 PM

I offered you a very quick and simple solution to your question. But if you prefer and use Studio One, why bother even asking about how to do this in ProTools?

Fwiw, I'm not talking about the app getting confused - I'm talking about visual management of hundreds of tracks and many VIs/external slaves/VEPro instances, for which PT is fast and efficient for my workflow - ymmv of course.

Yes, I've tried Studio One - some nice features for simpler projects, but even a function like auto-output assignment doesn't make up for other significant workflow advantages in PT for me. If it works for you, then by all means, just use Studio One.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:35 PM

Write within the drum program.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
Write within the drum program.
But then he can't complain about Pro Tools

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O