Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 08-30-2022, 05:07 AM

Default Re: Using an HD Native Thunderbolt w/ the new Macs??

Yes, indeed. I ate my hat on this already. I am using HDN only so rarely, because my Apogee Symphony II has HD and TB connections, and at home TB is so much easier.
Old 09-20-2022, 04:05 PM

Has anyone figured out a solution to this? We purchased a Mac Studio when it came out and have had nothing but issues with our HD Native system. I have spoke to tech support and it seems and known issue at this point with some Mac Studios and MBP m1 chips. There's a support paper that details the issue. They said it doesn't happen with the thunderbolt HDN but I ordered and tried one but I had the same issues. We ordered and tried a "recommended" chassis for the HDN card and that didn't work either. The sessions usually run fine until I start putting some stress on the sessions with plugins, then it either won't load up at all or won't play. Sometimes I can boot the session with plugins disabled and then enable each one, but lately, that hasn't been working either. I'd rather not go back to our iMac Pro, so I am looking to just buy a Mac Pro at this point.
Old 09-20-2022, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamwBarber View Post
Has anyone figured out a solution to this? We purchased a Mac Studio when it came out and have had nothing but issues with our HD Native system. I have spoke to tech support and it seems and known issue at this point with some Mac Studios and MBP m1 chips. There's a support paper that details the issue. They said it doesn't happen with the thunderbolt HDN but I ordered and tried one but I had the same issues. We ordered and tried a "recommended" chassis for the HDN card and that didn't work either. The sessions usually run fine until I start putting some stress on the sessions with plugins, then it either won't load up at all or won't play. Sometimes I can boot the session with plugins disabled and then enable each one, but lately, that hasn't been working either. I'd rather not go back to our iMac Pro, so I am looking to just buy a Mac Pro at this point.
You don't mention details of more standard troubleshooting or exact errors etc. and you are talking about this problem as if you know it is absolutely that and not say a plugin problem.... how do you know that for sure? You tested with Built-In Output as the playback engine? Removed all the plugins and just tested with the automagically reinstalled core plugins?

That you got problems with a HDN Thunderbolt box may be a sign that this is a different issue?

If you know the problem is the HDN then maybe time to do what others are and sell the HDN hardware and get on a modern CoreAudio or ASIO interface... I'd be running for the exits and flushed this stuff on eBay/Reverb, it's becoming more downside and no benefits to use DigiLink interfaces unless you want/need HDX.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-20-2022 at 08:42 PM.
Old 09-24-2022, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Yes, indeed. I ate my hat on this already. I am using HDN only so rarely, because my Apogee Symphony II has HD and TB connections, and at home TB is so much easier.
Is there anything about HDN that TB is incapable of? Anything you miss about HDN?

I have a new interface which offers either Digilink or USB. I've dabbled in USB just a little but typically stick with the HDN/Digilink (because I like configuring everything from within ProTools). Wondering if I should give USB a closer look.
Old 09-24-2022, 12:38 PM

Only thing I miss is the 64 i/o which I have via HDN but would cost me a kidney to have from Apogee. Old 192's are still fine.

DigiLink is still the most stable i/o no questions asked, but since I got this Apogee Symphony mkII via thunderbolt (yes, with HD option for safety) my thinking is if only I had the money I would get that i/o from Apogee and run it via TB
Old 09-24-2022, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
USB
no. absolutely no. you do not want your interface to fight with mouse etc.
Old 09-24-2022, 02:46 PM

Trying, very hard, to use USB but in doing so I lose the Avid HD, full stop. No way around that. So unless I can find an alternate for the Avid interface I'm stuck with HDN. It's fine, but I can't use the sample rate converter in the Titan in ProTools mode. That blows because I was actually using the spdif input with a device that operates at 44.1 whereas I'm always at 48.
Old 09-24-2022, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Bzzzzzzzt. No to your no. Nein. Non. Nej. Ei.

I can run hundreds of channels of audio over USB 3 or even USB 2 (e.g. 128x128 channel of MADI on a dinky little USB 2 bus powered RME MadiFACE) from my different RME interfaces. 32 or 64 sample size I/O buffer possible depending on what else is going on. Heck I'll run my Thunderbolt capable RME Fireface UFX+ on USB 3.x with no practical loss of low latency performance just because it's easier to deal with long USB 3 cables vs long Thunderbolt cables.

Modern systems with interfaces with a well written driver etc. have none of the USB limitations you might be thinking of with ancient old PCs and Macs and especially with crappy drivers.

And a modern computer you can run a mouse and audio interface on the same bus and it won't be a problem. But in practice, with modern USB hub and bus structures on PCs or Macs you are unlikely to actually have the devices on the same USB bus as an interface.

It's especially important that we stop perpetuating any idea that HD Native/DigiLink interfaces are inherently superior to high quality CoreAudio or ASIO interface, Thunderbolt, USB, PCIe, whatever, it does not matter as long as they are done well. The area where DigilLink is clearly differentiated is you need to use it to get HDX/DSP processing. Otherwise it's increasingly becoming more problematic and a liability for users.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-24-2022 at 10:48 PM.
Old 09-25-2022, 03:50 AM

[It's especially important that we stop perpetuating any idea that HD Native/DigiLink interfaces are inherently superior to high quality CoreAudio or ASIO interface, Thunderbolt, USB, PCIe, whatever, it does not matter as long as they are done well. The area where DigilLink is clearly differentiated is you need to use it to get HDX/DSP processing. Otherwise it's increasingly becoming more problematic and a liability for users.[/QUOTE]

Hey Darryl,
As soon as you need more than 32 I/O, HD Native is very relevant.
I run a lot of system peripherals and mixing on an analog console.
But I don't need HDX DSP plugins and therefore I don't need a 5000$ HDX card.
For many years HD Native has been the perfect solution for me. I hope that the problem with the integration on the Mac Studio will soon be solved by Avid.
Old 09-25-2022, 06:39 AM

Quote:
My interface never fights with my mouse. They get along perfectly and have for years.
Please stop spreading misinformation on here or at least if you are going to continue to do it, back it up with some concrete evidence to support your statement.

If USB interfaces were so terrible then why would just about every audio interface manufacturer make one?

I hope you have another hat