Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2010, 12:13 PM

Default Audio editor for PT?

I know this may seem a stupid question, but is there a way to double click a region and select an 'audio editor' for PT?

I use Soundforge for some things as a dedicated 2 track editor, and doing some fx and editing which i can't do in PT

Is there a setting to set an ext editor in PT8?
Old 05-17-2010, 12:24 PM

Default Re: Audio editor for PT?

No.

Pro Tools is the audio editor.
You can however right click the region in question and then "Export Region As..." and export it to your desktop, then edit it with Soundforge, then bring it back into the pro tools time line. If done correctly, you could use the spot function and it will put it back on its original starting point.

But no, Pro Tools will not let you pop open a separate editor inside the edit window a la Cubase or Logic.
Avid HD Native PCIe Core | Pro Tools HD 2018.1
Old 05-17-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
I know this may seem a stupid question, but is there a way to double click a region and select an 'audio editor' for PT?

I use Soundforge for some things as a dedicated 2 track editor, and doing some fx and editing which i can't do in PT

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of audio editing are you missing in Pro Tools?
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 05-17-2010, 01:10 PM

i think that I am used to SF more than PT, and would love to use both together as a best of both worlds..

In SF, I can do the pitch bending with the graphic interface, that you can't seem to do as easy on PT with vari-fi

Also the way that you can 'flatten' a file and overwrite as a sample in SF, but with PT you have to export etc, there doesnt seem to be a quick way to save part or whole of a region as a new sample?
Old 05-17-2010, 02:40 PM

NOt sure about the Pitch editor, although Melodyne works well for this, however your other needs are addressed in the Edit Window with the edit tools combined perhaps with some audio suite stuff. Overwriting a sample with a new selection if I am reading you right is done either as an Export Region as file under the Region list, or a Consolidate command. Read the Manual.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:40 PM

Bring Back Sound Designer!!!
Sometimes it would be nice to have a destructive editor available in Tools.
(They could put a Kick A*se batch convertor in there too)
Old 05-17-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
i think that I am used to SF more than PT, and would love to use both together as a best of both worlds..

In SF, I can do the pitch bending with the graphic interface, that you can't seem to do as easy on PT with vari-fi

Also the way that you can 'flatten' a file and overwrite as a sample in SF, but with PT you have to export etc, there doesnt seem to be a quick way to save part or whole of a region as a new sample?
Try the elastic audio vari-speed.

Between AudioSuite, the SmartTool and Elastic Audio, editing is *definitely* in PT for me.

And if you consolidate or use AudioSuite plugs / fx, you can open the project browser, arrange by modified, and your newly effected file is at the top. (works with Finder, too).

So I'm not sure if I understand that it doesn't do what you want, just that you're not used to looking for the file where it is after processing, maybe?
Old 05-17-2010, 11:17 PM

Imagine you're using a sfx clip about 600 times at various points, on various tracks in a session and you want to change it to another sound. Grab a destructive editor and copy and paste new audio directly into the source wav file and you've saved yourself a lot of stuffing around. I don't know if this is what Buckaroo is getting at, but it certainly can't be done with an audio suite plug.
(There may be a replace region function that I don't know of, but sometimes a simple wave editor can be very handy)
Old 05-18-2010, 12:14 AM

You can Replace Regions, yes, and switch the audio file for those 600 spots in 2 clicks
Hajp AB

old site:
Soundfactory JPR
Old 05-18-2010, 12:27 AM

Quote:

No - but if you're using Sound Forge then you must be running Windows... so this may be useful: http://www.railjonrogut.com/Region%20Synch.htm

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••