Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2011, 08:28 PM

Default Random Save bug still around with PT 10

I had this same problem with PT9, but it was much worse then. I've been noticing the sames issues with PT10 over the last few weeks...

I was mixing an album today, and then after about 5 hours of stable operation during a project "save" PT10 throws and error of "cannot save while translating tracks", then shows a couple other errors, and then proceeds to fully lock up. I had this happen again 5 minutes later on a different song. Very odd to get 5 hours of stable operation then poof! Also I was not saving during playback, nor was I using "autosave" which has been known to have issues in the past.

This random save error seems to have been around for some folks since at least PT9... So far I have not (luckily) had a "save" corrupt a project file, and after the crash at least the project file would open back up albiet missing the latest save changes. In PT9, my experience was the "save" error/crash would sometimes permanently corrupt the project file.

I'm only running UAD2 plugins on a quad card, plus one instance of Amplitube 3. As mentioned I'm running Windows 7 @ 64 bit. In the past I had found the possibilty that the "save" crashes were related to the UAD2 "Pultec Pro" plugin, but now I'm not sure that is the problem. That said I may remove all instances of that plug and put PT into a loop with autosave on and leave it running for a day...

Anyone?

My system:

Intel i7 920 cpu
Gigabyte MB
6 gig ram
x3 7200 rpm HDs (separate OS and WAV file drives)
Windows 7 @ 64bit
UAD2 quad v6.1.0 software
RME FF800 interface
Old 11-26-2011, 11:07 PM

Hmm sorry to hear that pt10 still has this problem on W7 installs. i'm still on 9 both W7 and Mac10.6.x, but i've only had this issue on the W7 side. Have you also tried turning your "undo" down from 32? that's what i'm currently trying. Appreciate the reminder about the UAD Pultec plug being iffy, I remember that I tried that awhile ago but the Pultec probably got a reinstall during a UAD upgrade.

I'm convinced that a bunch of the PT9/10 issues are tied to a W7 64bit bug or deep incompato. If you do even a casual listen to the complaints about the "save" issues or "memory" problems they all seem to be related to W7/64. here are some Mac users that have the mem thing but that seems related to VI's. We hammer on Macs for days and days in edit, predub and mix mode and don't run into these problems. I personally run a PT9HD Mac along side a PT9 W7 rig and during a day's use the W7 rig will crash About every 2-3 hours. I've stripped out most "iffy" plugs and like you, I mostly run UAD or Digi plugs along with small number of VSTw plugs that I own and know to have been stable in the past.

Good luck in finding a stable sweet spot for PT10 (and therefore 9) and please do report any successful tweaks that help balance off this problem in W7.

Wilson Dyer MPSE
Sound Supervisor: NCIS Los Angeles, CBS Television
Old 11-27-2011, 10:42 AM

Default Re: Random Save bug still around with PT 10

Thank you for your note!

I just put PT10 into a loop with autosave set at 1 minute intervals. I ran it for 5 hours looping the same song it had last crashed on yesterday, but running it without any UAD pultec EQ plugins. No crash. Then I added the Pultecs back in and let it ran looped for 7 1/2 hours, still no crash!

Might be hard to ever pinpoint this one. One day it crashes twice within 5 minutes, next day it seems 100% solid at least when testing using "autosave".

Perhaps "autosave" doesn't bring out the bug as well as simply using the system and saving manually...

Odd
Old 11-28-2011, 01:46 AM

Sure enough once I get back to mixing I get a couple hours then it crashed several times. The last crash actually fully corrupted the project file and would no longer open, and I lost all of today's mixing progress and had to go back to yesterday's save on a different hard drive. I was using about 10-15 instance of the UAD Pultec plugin.

I then totally pulled the Pultec plugin out of the mix project and got about 2 hours without any more crashes. I even tried to crash it, saving while playing back, and adding plugins and moving them around during playback. Still it was solid.

I'll continue tomorrow without the Pultec plug and see if it continues to be crash free. Even though last night I couldn't force a crash by looping the track with "autosave" on every minute, today ironically all the crashes occured during a manual "save".

We'll see how it goes tomorrow...
Old 11-28-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKinTN View Post
I had this same problem with PT9, but it was much worse then. I've been noticing the sames issues with PT10 over the last few weeks...

I was mixing an album today, and then after about 5 hours of stable operation during a project "save" PT10 throws and error of "cannot save while translating tracks", then shows a couple other errors, and then proceeds to fully lock up. I had this happen again 5 minutes later on a different song. Very odd to get 5 hours of stable operation then poof! Also I was not saving during playback, nor was I using "autosave" which has been known to have issues in the past.

This random save error seems to have been around for some folks since at least PT9... So far I have not (luckily) had a "save" corrupt a project file, and after the crash at least the project file would open back up albiet missing the latest save changes. In PT9, my experience was the "save" error/crash would sometimes permanently corrupt the project file.

I'm only running UAD2 plugins on a quad card, plus one instance of Amplitube 3. As mentioned I'm running Windows 7 @ 64 bit. In the past I had found the possibilty that the "save" crashes were related to the UAD2 "Pultec Pro" plugin, but now I'm not sure that is the problem. That said I may remove all instances of that plug and put PT into a loop with autosave on and leave it running for a day...

Anyone?

My system:

Intel i7 920 cpu
Gigabyte MB
6 gig ram
x3 7200 rpm HDs (separate OS and WAV file drives)
Windows 7 @ 64bit
UAD2 quad v6.1.0 software
RME FF800 interface

I can confirm that this is still around, and i am not using UAD, i have had this since PT 8 i think.
I get it very randomly, i use autosave but i encounter this when trying to save manually also, like yesterday.
I have had some contact with the former DigiTechSupt but i have not heard anything since the new guy started working, all i know is that they said that they are trying to fix this!
My errors are also saying that pro tools is low on memory, please allocate more memory to pro tools, and PT only uses about 400-500mb of memory. So it´s something weird that i cant reproduce.

My workflow consists of alot of listening to samples and clicking in the workspace, click click next next......etc.
And alot of midi drawing with the pencil tool, add note, delete note and so on.
Dont know if you have any similarities, but it might help if you do.
Other than that, i cant really think of anything, i guess i do it like the rest, Audiotracks, Auxes, Instrumenttracks, and automation, fades..............dunno.
IS Pro Double 6" Speakers, www.intelligentsound.se/
Old 11-29-2011, 11:42 PM

I've been having some success with turning "autosave" off and saving manually with 9.05. I ran several sessions for hours at a time today, but I did close and open PT between sessions...sort of a refresh if you will. I'm running mostly UAD plugs but several RTAS and VSTw plugs that are known to be good. One other thing I did that helped the "out of mem" bug was turning down undo from the default 32 to 24 levels. Since I'm saving early and often i figure the loss of levels is baked into the saved sessions.

I've also experienced the play/pause deal to have subsided, though I see now that with PT 9.06 they claim to have addressed this. I'll be waiting to see if the real world confirms this.

Wilson Dyer MPSE
Sound Supervisor: NCIS Los Angeles, CBS Television
Old 12-06-2011, 12:09 AM

Well I've got about a week of 100% crash free mixing in PT10, about 10 hours or so in total. I've been saving often, even during playback but still no issues. I haven't however been using the autosave function.

The only thing I changed was to specifically NOT use the UAD2 Pultec Pro EQ plugin, though I have still continued to use many other UAD2 plugins on my quad card. Leaving the Pultec Pro EQ is a hard thing to do as it is one of my favorite EQs. That said, at this point it appears that the culpret is still with the unstable UAD Pultec EQ plugin especially during the "save" function in PT10 under Windows 7 64 bit. I would have thought now that UAD came out with the RTAS versions of their plugins they would have addressed any problems with the way their plugins interact with PT. Alas this one plugin is a no go on my system as far as stabilty goes.

I'll report back after a bit more time, but so far so good.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:44 AM

Last night after a week of about 12 hours of crash free mixing I turn the computer on and PT10 crashed during a "save" 3 times in the first 5 minutes, each time I trashed the preferences afterwards and started over, even rebooting each time. It luckily didn't corrupt any project files. Then I finally got 4 hours of mixing crash free. Very odd.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:44 PM

I have the same problem and the same setup. Literally the same errors and randomness, UAD plugs, etc... ITS DRIVING ME NUTS!! I wish i knew a fix!! I do know that it HAS to be something with pt9 and UAD combo. If I'm tracking with no UAD plugs, the system is perfect. while mixing with uad plugs, crash, access violation, cannot save while translating tracks, out of mem, etc. And like you, sometimes the system is perfect for days or even weeks. Then it will start going crazy and even corrupt sessions....
Old 01-10-2012, 03:41 AM

I too have this problem...
ASUS X99-E, Intel Core i7-6850K, Noctua NH-U9S, Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2133MHz 16GB, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2 PCIe SSD (System), Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5" SSD (Data), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB 2.5" SSD (Sample), WD Desktop Black 1TB 3.5" (Audio), Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060, Corsair RM750x 750W, Samsung 34" LED Curved, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Lynx AES16e, Aurora 16, Cakewalk by BandLab, Pro Tools 2021