Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2009, 03:30 PM

Exclamation Using UAD1e card plugins steals all my Native RTAS CPU

Hi,

I just added some UAD 1e cards but i've noticed that using the plugins is also using loads of the Native RTAS CPU

I don't quite understand why it is using so much of the computers native CPU when it should be using its own processing chips? Basically 10-12 UAD plugins and ALL my native/RTAS CPU is used and this is on an 8-core MacPro

2x UAD1e cards in the computer
Pro Tools cards in the expansion HD

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:04 PM

Default Re: Using UAD1e card plugins steals all my Native RTAS CPU

I'm sorry to hear that man! I was ready to go for a UAD card but seems a no go right now with HD rigs...

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0
Old 04-16-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

I just added some UAD 1e cards but i've noticed that using the plugins is also using loads of the Native RTAS CPU

I don't quite understand why it is using so much of the computers native CPU when it should be using its own processing chips? Basically 10-12 UAD plugins and ALL my native/RTAS CPU is used and this is on an 8-core MacPro

2x UAD1e cards in the computer
Pro Tools cards in the expansion HD

Chris
And it completely screws up your plugin delay comp...can't really use mine anymore

especially on auxes...

cheers,
rich
Old 04-16-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdolmat View Post
And it completely screws up your plugin delay comp...can't really use mine anymore

especially on auxes...
What do you mean exactly? they produce quite a bit of delay, but thats not the problem for me, i can deal with delay, same as i do with Big RTAS waves plugins etc, but i cant deal with the amount of CPU they use.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:13 PM

Chirs:

i have pretty much same setup as yours. I also have UAD2 and UAD1 in MacPro while the Digi card in Expansion HD.

I'm running very smooth on UAD system, i usually setup the buffer at 512. As i remember i can run about 18 or more UAD plug plus TDM and RTAS. the only problem i have with UAD is im running out of UAD memory faster than UAD DSP power. Since im using 96K session all the time. ( i verified it with UAD tech).

I never have UAD plugins using RTAS power. im on latest UAD 5.3 software.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:30 AM

Quote:
What do you mean exactly? they produce quite a bit of delay, but thats not the problem for me, i can deal with delay, same as i do with Big RTAS waves plugins etc, but i cant deal with the amount of CPU they use.

Chris
Well, try putting the Precision Multiband on an aux....I usually prefer to do this with gang vox (ie: 5 single audio vox tracks grouped into a stereo aux, and throw the Pre Multiband on there)...

not possible

or mayhap I'm doing something wrong?

cheers,
rich
Old 04-17-2009, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdolmat View Post
Well, try putting the Precision Multiband on an aux....I usually prefer to do this with gang vox (ie: 5 single audio vox tracks grouped into a stereo aux, and throw the Pre Multiband on there)...

not possible

or mayhap I'm doing something wrong?
With the maximum delay set in Pro tools and your hardware buffer at 512 you should be able to do that ok. placing rtas plugs on an aux will incur more latency than audio tracks but the delay compensation should take care of it. with the max delay compensation set you should be ok for delay up to 4090 samples, not many plugins cause that amount on their own.

But also remember any delay reading on the tracks feeding the aux will be added to it. track delay 2500 samples added to aux delay of 2500 samples = 5000 samples which will turn the reading read and play out of time etc.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com

Old 04-17-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:
With the maximum delay set in Pro tools and your hardware buffer at 512 you should be able to do that ok. placing rtas plugs on an aux will incur more latency than audio tracks but the delay compensation should take care of it. with the max delay compensation set you should be ok for delay up to 4090 samples, not many plugins cause that amount on their own.

But also remember any delay reading on the tracks feeding the aux will be added to it. track delay 2500 samples added to aux delay of 2500 samples = 5000 samples which will turn the reading read and play out of time etc.

Chris
Thanks Chris!!

I'll give that a try today! I've always had my RTAS buffer set pretty high for mixes, but that seems counter-intuitive when using plugin delay..

cheers,
rich
Old 04-17-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo mark View Post
Chirs:

i have pretty much same setup as yours. I also have UAD2 and UAD1 in MacPro while the Digi card in Expansion HD.

I'm running very smooth on UAD system, i usually setup the buffer at 512. As i remember i can run about 18 or more UAD plug plus TDM and RTAS. the only problem i have with UAD is im running out of UAD memory faster than UAD DSP power. Since im using 96K session all the time. ( i verified it with UAD tech).

I never have UAD plugins using RTAS power. im on latest UAD 5.3 software.
This is bizarre i never even looked at the CPU meter with the USD plugins until i got a second card this week and started to do some testing to see how many plugs i could instantiate etc.

And blow me down just 10 uad plugs take up over 50% of my 8-core processing power what are the uad processing chips actually doing then!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTAM8mBSzWY

Chris

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com

Old 04-17-2009, 11:53 PM

Quote:
This is bizarre i never even looked at the CPU meter with the USD plugins until i got a second card this week and started to do some testing to see how many plugs i could instantiate etc.

And blow me down just 10 uad plugs take up over 50% of my 8-core processing power what are the uad processing chips actually doing then!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTAM8mBSzWY

Chris
Really? I am able to fully max out our UAD1 (PCIe) in PTHD8 with virtually no additional RTAS load on a Quad Core.

You may want to give UA a call...

Hassan