Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 08-23-2001, 02:28 AM

Default Never have seen this error before, Digi, anyone, please help!

Every 2o min or so i get an error (-6027, i think) that says, "Cant play back because too many virtual tracks switching" or somthing to that effect. Regardless of session size-- 3 tracks or 30. Then when i try to engage play from anywhere in the session, the same error pops up and refuses playback. If i try to quit, PT just does the "unexpectedly quit thing".
Now heres the freaky part. After PT shuts down on me, DAE is left still open. Yet The DAE icon in the upper right apple menu that lists what apps are open is all messed up. Like its just a bunch of dots and lines, not the familiar gray and blue lil' icon.
Then when i go to the actual DAE app in the system folder, the preferred,sugessted, and minimum memory settings are all at 384K and cant be changed.

So then i restart and try to load PT and I get error -199 on loading and thats it. I look at the DAE app and still with the 384k thing. Sometimes, it will be back to normal and PT will load but rarely. And when it does the error happens in 20 min again anway. I usually have to reinstall DAE each time. This happens every 20 min or so even after i tried:

Reinstalling PT in full multiple times
trash prefs, digi setup, mac os prefs, finder prefs, or any pref possible related
rebuild desktop
run norton utilities with no errors found
zap pram
reboot hardware
run MAC OS base extension set with digi stuff enables

Any ideas? heres what i have:
PT 5.1 mix plus with USD
G4 500, 256MB RAM (allocate 64MB to both PT and DAE)
Exp Chassis (digi approved)
Atto dual card, glyph 18gig 10000 cheetah drive
OS 9.1
Basically as standard as you can get. A textbook PT setup run by myself, an experienced MAC and PT user... The sessions i run are usually small, like 10 tracks, nothing fancy

please help.. i think ive tried everything expcept a different mac OS, upgrading to 5.1.1, adding more ram (I know 256 MB is kinda low) and obviously reformatting the mac drive and starting from scratch which i dont want to do if i can help it...

HELP
MT
•••DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE•••
•Use & Trust ø Cancellation!•
Old 08-23-2001, 05:55 AM

Default Re: Never have seen this error before, Digi, anyone, please help!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>G4 500, 256MB RAM (allocate 64MB to both PT and DAE)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That might not be enough, these days (although I don't know if it would apply to your specific problem).

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Exp Chassis (digi approved)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you checked with the manufacturer of your expansion chassis lately? Does it have all the current modifications?

At any rate, if you need to get up and running quickly, you should probably give the Pro Access line a call. There hasn't been a lot of Digidesign participation here as of late. Perhaps there have been staff cutbacks (either that, or lots of employees might be taking vacation right now).

Lee Blaske
Old 08-23-2001, 06:49 AM
Avid

-Since none of your troubleshooting has yielded positive results, I would suggest a Clean Install of the Mac OS 9.1...or better yet, backup and reformat with Apple Drive Setup and reinstall everything fresh.

Brent
Old 08-24-2001, 12:38 AM

just what i feared... oh well, mans gotta do what a mans gotta do...

thanks
MT
Old 08-24-2001, 09:30 PM

hey question for you.
I have never had any problems with my system, until i downloaded bombfactory v2 demo plugins, and i also downloaded the orange vocoder demo. after i installed bombfactory's demo's my system wouldn't run!,I asked a few friends and amazingly they had the exact results as I!
so, after i deleted them all from plugins folder, i launched protools, and get error-199 DAE would crash and memory seting was 384k....
then if I delete DAE, and install new copy of DAE 5.1.1, system works for an hour or so then it all repeats...sound familier anyone?
Old 08-25-2001, 01:57 AM

yes, verrry familiar... i wonder if this bug is problem related....
MT