Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2022, 09:25 AM

Default Clear unused clips not working

I'm committing a bunch of tracks/busses to send stems to a client. After doing this I delete every other track left in the session, obviously including any hidden tracks. There's nothing else here.

I have 10 tracks left in the session, and at least 100 audio files in the clip list. There are no additional playlists, and no plugins in the session.

I go over to the clip list, little down arrow/select/unused and nothing is selected. There's no reason for this as far as I can see.

Any clues?

I'm on Pro Tools Studio 2022.10 and OSX Monterey
Old 12-20-2022, 10:33 AM

Default Re: Clear unused clips not working

What happens if you save, exit Pro Tools, open again, and try to select unused clips?

I've had similar issues with clip list not updating what it thinks is in the list. I've also seen the issue go away or not present itself simply after certain copy and/or undo steps have occurred or are no longer possible.

I believe in "times long ago" the clip list "Clear" function was more clever about telling me about clips being in a clipboard or undo queue or things like that, but now the "select unused" seems to exclude those clips maybe, so doesn't select them, sometimes.

At least, when I save and exit and re-open, I have usually been able to select unused and clear "as expected" (finally.)
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 12-20-2022, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nednednerb View Post
I believe in "times long ago" the clip list "Clear" function was more clever about telling me about clips being in a clipboard or undo queue or things like that
Yep - it used to work much better than it does now. So many times I consolidate clips and think I've removed the old ones only to find they're still there - like when I go to rename them and it says there's already a file with that name. Usually the clips will be listed in the clips bin but not in bold, and I have to manually remove them from the bin, import all the files back into Pro Tools, and then select all unused and delete them. It's such a pain and time waster, and sometimes clips get deleted that shouldn't due to all the potential for mistakes. Thank God for backups!

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 12-20-2022, 03:21 PM

I find that repeated attempts at this gets ne there, perhaps due to various dependences. Also, don't forget the undo queue might be holding on to things too.
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 12-20-2022, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrixx View Post
the undo queue might be holding on to things too.
Yes which is why sometimes you have to close the session and reopen it before you can delete the clips.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 12-20-2022, 11:32 PM

Usually a closing of the session/restart solves it (historically anyway), but no such luck here. Rubbish really! Always one step forward, one step back with Pro Tools...

I'll just make a new session and import the tracks, but what a load of nonsense! I assume Avid are aware?

Edit - as a note, I've since noticed the little box in the "save copy in" window, for "selected tracks only", which gets me around this particular issue.. Still, it'd be grand if the software actually worked.

Last edited by CamM; 12-20-2022 at 11:51 PM.
Old 12-21-2022, 08:37 AM

IME, if clearing unused clips leaves unexpected clips behind, there is *always* a reason for it: Be aware of layered editing and clip groups, be sure "Show Auto-Created" is on, make sure there's no uncleared find parameter in the clips bin, be sure no un-deleted playlists are lurking, no hidden tracks, *then* clear your undo queue, and all should work as expected (it certainly always does here).

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6

Last edited by Rich Breen; 12-21-2022 at 09:19 AM.
Old 12-21-2022, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamM View Post
I'm committing a bunch of tracks/busses to send stems to a client. After doing this I delete every other track left in the session, obviously including any hidden tracks. There's nothing else here.

I have 10 tracks left in the session, and at least 100 audio files in the clip list. There are no additional playlists, and no plugins in the session.

I go over to the clip list, little down arrow/select/unused and nothing is selected. There's no reason for this as far as I can see.

Any clues?

I'm on Pro Tools Studio 2022.10 and OSX Monterey
The majority of the time its the Undo Queue.

Go to Window- Undo History and Delete Undo Queue

And then even close and open the sessions and do it again....

Macbook Pro, 2019 (15,1) Mac OS 13.6.6 Ventura,32 Gigs Ram,2.3 GHz I9 8 Core ProTools Ultimate 2024.3.1, Apollo 8 Silver,TwinX.