Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2004, 07:58 AM

Default 001 USERS, what are we gonna do with these things?

As time ticks by my 001 is getting older (obviously) and therefore is worth less on the 2nd hand market. How long are Digi going to offer this "exchange program" at the same prices? Its getting me worried !! not that my 001 doesn't do what i expect from it, but if I keep this thing its either going to be worth nothing second hand (cause any half brained purchaser would realise that the 001 is not supported after 6.4, so why would they buy a legacy product?) or nothing to Digi cause they might stop the exchange program (because i cant see Digi refurbishing 001's that they've reclaimed, cause they wont work after 6.4 anyway).

considering all of the bad reviews you've heard of the 002 and 002r,
what have some of you guys decided to do?

from matt
Old 06-17-2004, 08:40 AM

Default Re: 001 USERS, what are we gonna do with these things?

I got rid of my 001... bought an mbox..got disgusted, returned it and bought a 001 on ebay again. In fact, the price has gone up on ebay. I dont see it falling anytime soon substantially. I'll wait and then probably go to a 002R or whatever solution is solid in the future....
Old 06-17-2004, 09:06 AM

Just my 2 cents. I did the exchange. The 002 FOR ME is no better than the 001 was. I have had numerous small problems with it and wait with "baited" breath for the dreaded power harness failure. I might have been better off sticking with the 001 for my basement recordings. A professional recorder/producer will likely think otherwise. I guess you have to ask yourself what you really need.

Keep Making the MUSIC
Old 06-17-2004, 09:12 AM

i have experinced the same thing like AdamF , i had my001 running on a G4 400 mhz 512 for 3 years , worked every day , had not even a single crash or problem, even with heavy plugins usage , sold my entire rig(moved to another country ) got an powerbook 12" with mbox - i cried for 2 month!!!!!!!! it didnt work at all , 8 plugins and it died in my hands. sold again (lost allot of money) got a G4 1.25mhz with 001. better results even tough the cpu is trash!!! i wasnt awaere that there is a problem with the new G4 DMM and protools have 2-3 crashes every day , sick and tired, and if its not enogh i cant change my cpu to a new
G5 becouse it dosent work with 001, wich DIGIDESIGN decided they wont do any more service and softwere improvments upgrads and compability!!!!!!!!!!!! , wont touch the 002/002R , firewire is nothing like a good old PCI card , heard nothing but coplaines allover them, expensive , and imho , not such a big improvment of the lovely 001 wich is solid , and trustfull. getting a 002Rfor 1250$ wont give you nothing better then the 001, i love protools i cant imagine my life without it , the 001 is the best product i have ever got but if i would start over again , i would use the 1250$ and get me somthing with better converters, and logic wich is open to all platforms! but then again i'll stay with protools and wait until i'll have 10000 to get me an HD system
neumann tlm103
Tlaudio 5051 v.2
genelec 1030
yamaha p-90
Old 06-17-2004, 10:31 AM

Default Re: 001 USERS, what are we gonna do with these thi

Quote:
what have some of you guys decided to do?
We'll run the 001 into the ground, and then switch to less controlling manufacturers like MOTU, which support the oldest of hardware with the newest of software and don't limit you to 32 tracks.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:07 AM

Im a year old 001

yes bought my 001 in april2003

and IM switching to cubase because after a week the 001 i boiught brand new was legacy

and there was no rebate for money OR software nothing then a year later no more support for my year old 001

hey things go obsolete but you cant selll a 1000 dollar piece of hardware and drop it in a years time after YOU

the COMPANY SOLD IT I mean yeah if you want to alienation your costumers

and when it comes to software support Well you pretty much need that

Or I could do like a lot of people say to do here and never update software or hide in a cave

and play ring around the rosey with a handle full of jelly beans

I MEAN WAKE

you dont want to support it anymore well do the right thing and stop selling the crappy box before you

drop it AND SUPPORT THE PEOPLE WHO SUPPORT YOU
Old 06-17-2004, 11:22 AM

I'm totally with Where on this one. I'm going to run my 3yr old 001 till the engine falls out. This is the time when I'm really getting those bonus miles, you know. It's like I've had my 001 for so long, I've made more than what it cost me, why not use it till it dies. When it does, I'm going HDAccel, baby!

What scares me, is those bugs I'm reading about with bouncing to disk and recording, I've haven't seen one myself, thank God, but it sounds like 6.4 has some problems. I'm just thankfull we got 6.4 and Panther support. It could of all ended at 5, and OS9. That would have really sucked. I'll stick with 6.4 and my 001 as long as I can, I feel like I got a great deal.

But I hear you guys, this exchange program isn't going to last forever, and it's defiantely the end of the road 001.

Certified Protools6.x Post-Production Operator
Old 06-17-2004, 12:05 PM

i'm just settling into my current setup. cause i expect to be using it for a loooong time. i'm of the opinion that the digi001 is the best pro tools LE interface. and i don't feel like paying money to downgrade. so i'll stick with what i've got, maybe try installing OS and PT updates, but always save my installers. and i will finally know what it feels like to not have to be on the cutting edge. to finally be sitting back making music while others are installing. :]
Old 06-17-2004, 01:59 PM

I'm w/ where02910...I'm running this blue bastard into the ground ( I say that w/ affection) and then I'm off to MOTU land...It's stupid...I have 18 channels of amazing a/d (Rosetta 800, focusrite isa 428 8 ch. a/d, and the apogee trak2) and yet I can only utilize 10 channels at once when recording w/ the LE digi products...Actually I'm pretty damn close to ending the 001 relationship...My headphone jack is broken and the pre's are loose at the solder joints...I'll probably fix and end up using this thing for 3 more years....I really dont see myself needing to upgrade to 6.4 in PT...I'm pretty happy w/ 6.1 but if they throw in some sick features in the future I may switch over...Digi, give me 16/24 channels of digital a/d and I'm w/ you...If not, I'm going MOTU....This 001 has been good though, I'm not complaining...

Randy

Old 06-17-2004, 02:14 PM

I must be the luckiest guy in the world - I'm running my 2-week old 002 on 6.4 without a hitch, and finding that having a control surface is way more beneficial than I thought it'd be. Frankly though, I never had any of the ongoing 001 problems people complained about a couple of years ago either, on PC or Mac. Not to be a jerk or anything, but sometimes the problem really is just the user.

I traded in the 001 because the factory plugin deal was too sweet to pass up.

...so I guess they still got me for a while.