Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2022, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Paulstretch AAX plugin

Quote:
Originally Posted by podusa View Post
Has everyone gone bananas? I'm with darkell.

Can't believe the "von oben-attitude" here. Especially from so called "experts" not even knowing of of Paulstrech in the first place.

Be humble and helpful.

(I would if I knew the answers to your questions, but I'm also struggling a bit with this excellent, but complicated plug-in)
I felt the same when I read this yesterday - totally legit question about an AAX plugin in a AAX plugin thread (since when does it have to be an Avid AAX plugin? - or did I miss something - help the OP or MOVE ON if you feel you to above it.
The DUC used to be a place where everyone was welcome to ask, help and exchange advice - but the last few years it has become a place for high rankers (with 1000"s of posts) to play police or just generally be crappy with posters... a shame really.....
Mac 16 Core 7,1 -Os 10.15.7 - 96 gb Ram - Pro Tools 2022.6 Ultimate in 5 suites - MTRX Studio -S6 26-5-D - Sync HD - Video Satelite (Symphony 2022.5, AJA Kona 3g) Pro Protools 2022.6 Vanilla in 21 x Recording and Edit suites. Mac 6,1 Mac Mini, Mac Mini M1, Mac Studio Pro, Mac Studio Max
Mediacomposer 2021.12 on AJA Kona 3g / XT I/O x 3 suites. Multiple Avid S1, S3 & Docks
Old 08-20-2022, 09:27 PM

If you haven't used Paul's Stretch you're missing out. It's been around for a long time now. Can be a great sound design tool or just fun to play with.

I have not had a chance to try the AAX. Certainly sounds more convenient.
Old 08-21-2022, 02:13 AM

podusa, eric, StefB, thank you. I looked again at the intro page to these forums, paraphrasing the gist of it is: ‘Get help. Learn something new. Ask and answer questions. Give and get advice. And so much more’.

I only asked a question which I think is very similar to one posted by samj83 ‘Help using Cthulhu with hardware synth’ posted on 08-01-2022. This is great plugin and is easy to use but not easy to set up within Pro Tools. Their website is excellent and does give you a tutorial on how to set it up but... Epm gives a very helpful reply as ‘The Cthulu manual is not really helpful since it doesn't even MENTION the AAX version’. His words not mine. He does not question Sam but gives him some really helpful advice. Samj83 is then up and running in no time. This is the forum at it’s best.

I watched the Paulstretch tutorial again as advised. In the first few seconds it states that this is a VST and AU plugin, never a mention of AAX. (this came later) No mention either of routing and setting up throughout the tutorial. The tutorial is excellent for the use of Paulstrech but I have been using it for many years as a standalone piece of software so for me this was not the issue.

I spent more time yesterday trying to make it work in every conceivable way, on an Aux, instrument , audio track, two tracks in and out of record, sends, etc, etc, etc, all to no avail so if anybody does figure it I would be grateful for the advice.

LDS, I am not sure what difference the fact that it is free makes. The developer has taken the time to make an AAX version so presumably wants Pro Tools user to try it. It’s great piece of software and in my opinion should not be free but there you go.

If you haven’t tried Paulstrech you should.
Old 08-21-2022, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefB View Post
I felt the same when I read this yesterday - totally legit question about an AAX plugin in a AAX plugin thread (since when does it have to be an Avid AAX plugin? - or did I miss something - help the OP or MOVE ON if you feel you to above it.
The DUC used to be a place where everyone was welcome to ask, help and exchange advice - but the last few years it has become a place for high rankers (with 1000"s of posts) to play police or just generally be crappy with posters... a shame really.....

But you say that as those replies like "RTFM" and "Use the search function" weren't some of the most common here on the DUC, or on other forums. Obviously printed manuals have gone the way of the dodo, but they are even easier to access now. It seems doing your own research has vanished across the board(s) in the face of forum foot traffic driving SEO benefits and advertising revenue.

The Pro Tools User group on Facebook is atrocious for it. People who have made zero effort to look at the manual, or do a google search post questions like "what is this button for". I mean, really? You've figured out how to purchase, download and install Pro Tools... but your brain disappears as soon as you open it? It is so bad that Avid created a Pro Tools Advanced user group... which is really just filled with people who bother to look at the manual before asking questions.

"Scolding" is absolutely the wrong term for it. Holding others to the same terms that you hold yourself, absolutely. Humility is a two way street in that sense. Humble people generally explore all of their options before bothering complete strangers with their problems. It comes with the territory has having a lowly or self-depreciating view of your own understand. The irony of this thread is, that the very first reply by a person who hasn't even used the software, contained the answers the OP was chasing. Apparently that wasn't adequate...

I mean... come on. How low are we setting this bar? With google, and integrated manuals, and online tutorials, information has literally never been so easy to access... yet here we are. Where apparently even that is too hard. That isn't humility. That is entitlement.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.

Last edited by LDS; 08-21-2022 at 04:32 AM.
Old 08-21-2022, 05:42 AM

To be fair Ben can sometimes be very direct in his way of speaking, but that's him and if you're a regular at the DUC you would know that. He is also a mine of quality information and the video he links to about the new AAX version of Paulstretch is an excellent one which answers all the op's questions.
I think this forum is for discussion of AAX plugins, which are intrinsically made for Pro Tools, so no problem for me at least asking how to use them within PT.
Paulstretch has always been a niche and not very straightforward to use tool and the new AAX version is also quite deep, although much easier than the original.
People should really try it, the developer has done an excellent job of porting this over to AAX.

It's free, or donation-ware if you like and use it, as I do.
One of it's great new features is surround sound output capability by use of channel taps out to multiple channels. All outputs are individually rendered giving really good divergence between surround channels.
It's like a granular up-mixer on steroids!
Old 08-21-2022, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
…the video he links to about the new AAX version of Paulstretch is an excellent one which answers all the op's questions.
Why type a long response when you could just answer the OP’s questions?
I downloaded PaulXStretch and watched the video, hoping I could help.
It’s not that clear and I can see why the OP posted their question.

If people know the answers, please just state them.
Retro 176 (pair), Pultec EQP-1A (pair), Germanium Comps (pair), BAE 10DC (pair), Distressor (pair), Manley Vari-Mu, Sta-Level, Zener, SSL Fusion, SSL FX G384, API 2500, LA2A, 1176, Bricasti, Massive Passive, Anamod ATS-1, Eventide H3500, TC 2290, Yamaha D5000, PCM92, PCM70... Amps, Amps & More Amps.
Old 08-21-2022, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
I mean... come on. How low are we setting this bar? With google, and integrated manuals, and online tutorials, information has literally never been so easy to access... yet here we are. Where apparently even that is too hard. That isn't humility. That is entitlement.
I think you're looking way too far into this and making the questions unnecessarily difficult for the OP. Nothing personal intended, but your posts are coming off as condescending; like scolding in a situation which doesn't call for it. This is how it reads to me.
Old 08-21-2022, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost In The Attic View Post
Why type a long response when you could just answer the OP’s questions?
I downloaded PaulXStretch and watched the video, hoping I could help.
It’s not that clear and I can see why the OP posted their question.

If people know the answers, please just state them.
Yes, I think this only validates the initial questions. And the fact that the software is free doesn't justify the developer's missteps in materials and customer support. It's their prerogative to ignore users, but that's a losing business model.
Old 08-21-2022, 01:37 PM

I can't get PaulXStretch AAX to work in Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.7
So, I can't help. But, I did try.
Retro 176 (pair), Pultec EQP-1A (pair), Germanium Comps (pair), BAE 10DC (pair), Distressor (pair), Manley Vari-Mu, Sta-Level, Zener, SSL Fusion, SSL FX G384, API 2500, LA2A, 1176, Bricasti, Massive Passive, Anamod ATS-1, Eventide H3500, TC 2290, Yamaha D5000, PCM92, PCM70... Amps, Amps & More Amps.
Old 08-21-2022, 03:35 PM

Come on, guys. I wish I screen captured my experiences with this software, because it literally took 6 minutes to install and get working here. Thank you Sonosaurus for offering such an amazing plugin completely free of charge. They even included hover text that describes the main functions. If it is too challenging to use... maybe... just don't use it.

For those playing at home who must have chosen to spend that 6 minutes staring blankly at the screen while muttering the phrase "it should be working", rather than actually pushing buttons:

- Pro Tools preferences, display tab, set "organise plugins" by type and manufacturer" to make Paulstretch super easy to find.

- In the plugin, under settings, select "play when host is running" to sync the Paulstretch transport with Pro Tools.

- In the plugin, under settings, change the record location to something logical... like a folder labelled "stretched" in your Pro Tools session folder. Because who wants stretched audio files spread across your system.

- In the plugin, under settings, change the recorded file format from FLAC to WAV... because who wants multiple formats of audio in their session.

The red microphone in the top left corner toggles the plugin in and out of 'capture' mode. The white microphone + speaker symbol at the top, second from the right toggles the output of the plugin between the original and captured audio. All you need to do is feed the plugin with audio, whether it be a clip on the timeline, or a virtual instrument, or even a live input...

Enjoy. These instructions took longer to write than figuring out how the plugin works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 7.28.00 am.jpg (52.2 KB, 0 views)
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.

Last edited by LDS; 08-21-2022 at 04:26 PM.