Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 10-19-2022, 09:00 PM

Default 2022.9 would not run on high sierra..

Those who have 2022.9 which only runs on monetary macos, is it worth buy a new mac to get access to the new features on Pro tooles studio. using a 2011 mac pro, universal audio twin x audio interface. If the answer is to upgrade, then mac air 16g ram and m2 chip 2022 vs mac pro 16g ram m1 2020.. just need some help deciding.
Old 10-20-2022, 08:43 AM

Default Re: 2022.9 would not run on high sierra..

What work are you doing? Do you require ANY new features to do your work? Are you in need of a new computer?

If you don't have answers to the above question that indicate needing a new computer and new version of Pro Tools, except for not being able to install 2022.9 on High Sierra...

Then no, it's not worth it for any reason you actually have.

If your work is slow or held back or you cannot run a plug-in you want to try, then maybe a new computer is very reasonable.

It ONLY depends on you, not an idea I have of it being "worth it"...
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 10-21-2022, 08:18 AM

Thanks for the input, I am a recording artist who does lots of demo at home, yes I do get lots of warnings when I have x amount of tracks with plugins, plus the computer is 11 years old, great for storage.. my most important question is which one should do what I want without breaking the bank.
Old 10-21-2022, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimulus2.0 View Post
Those who have 2022.9 which only runs on monetary macos, ...snip
Apple have never charged money for their Operating System, only their hardware ;-)

but seriously, you need to read up on this guy:
http://dosdude1.com/software.html

FYI, PT2022.9 will actually run on Mojave and Catalina.
Old 10-21-2022, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakhead View Post
Apple have never charged money for their Operating System, only their hardware ;-)
That’s incorrect.

Up to Mountain Lion, you definitely had to pay for OS X upgrades. Mavericks was the first version where they switched to giving the OS away for free.

That’s also not mentioning the countless paid releases prior to OS X.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2022, 04:53 AM

good morning, I tried loading Catalina, Mojave, and big sur, but I got the same message: they can't be loaded on this computer.
Old 10-22-2022, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimulus2.0 View Post
Those who have 2022.9 which only runs on monetary macos, is it worth buy a new mac to get access to the new features on Pro tooles studio. using a 2011 mac pro, universal audio twin x audio interface. If the answer is to upgrade, then mac air 16g ram and m2 chip 2022 vs mac pro 16g ram m1 2020.. just need some help deciding.
You mean Mac Pro 2011 or MacBook Pro 2011? Let’s assume the earlier…

There is an active community/ cottage industry of folks supporting upgrading Mac Pro Classic aka 5,1 systems to use the more recent boot ROM, support NVMe boot, run more recent macOS releases than are officially supported, etc. You can google for info, e.g.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mac+pro+5%2C1+mojave

https://www.google.com/search?q=mac+pro+5%2C1+monterey

That will give you a good idea of forums and websites where folks discuss this.

—-

What problems are you having that upgrading will solve? Have you really tried to solve those on the current system? You say errors but what exact ones? While tracking or mixing? Give us an idea how big your sessions are. Can you address that by increasing the IO buffer size? or by using freeze/commit? Is the Mac fully optimized? What CPU and memory does it have? What disk are you recording to? What size is disk cache?

Other users here cannot advise you on the _value_ of doing something, that is entirely dependent on stuff we have no idea of, and is something you need to work out.

There is no Apple Silicon Mac Pro yet, you mean MacBook Pro?, but these two systems largely differ in cooling capacity with the MacBook Air lacking cooling fans making it a far less suitable choice for Pro Tools.

But you are picking laptops vs a Mac Pro Cheesegrater? there are also choices of a Mac Mini or Mac Studio. And we have no idea of the config of your Mac Pro is.

Apple is towards the end of its transition to Apple Silicon Macs. I suspect Intel Macs may have as little as a year or so of macOS updates left. Apple has not yet announced its new Mac Pro and has been affected by supply chain issues that distort the line up a little, like why the MacBook Pro is not more running on M2 and is not more advanced/powerful yet (but they *are* still fast laptops.

Avid is lagging the industry with lack of a Pro Tools native port to Apple silicon. Pro Tools and all plugins today run under the Rosetta 2 emulation layer… and generally run very well. But how exactly it will work for you only you can tell, some folks have problems and that may be plugin related. If you buy a system test it within the return window.

On an Apple Silicon Mac you need interface drivers that support Apple Silicon (since drivers cannot use Rosetta 2). and UAD have that today. When Pro Tools moves to Apple Silicon you will want Apple Silicon ports of all your third party plugins… that transition will likely have some hassles/pain… so both upgrading your current Mac Pro or moving to new systems have some technical challenges/risks. If you do not need to upgrade it might be worth sitting out changes and seeing the next gen Macs and native Pro Tools release.

General advice is do not believe stories you need less memory on Apple Silicon Macs, especially since you cannot upgrade memory later, your current systems use may guide you. I personally would not buy a 16 GB system for running Pro Tools. It’s a bare minimum requirement. Spend money on the internal hard drive since you cannot upgrade that either, and that is a great place to store sessions and samples as well. Even with what Apple charges for that storage.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 10-22-2022 at 09:49 AM.
Old 10-22-2022, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
That’s incorrect.
Up to Mountain Lion, you definitely had to pay for OS X upgrades. Mavericks was the first version where they switched to giving the OS away for free.
That’s also not mentioning the countless paid releases prior to OS X.
er, yes . . . it was simply a small "joke" based on his use of the word "monetary" rather than what I assume he meant "Monterey", but I guess that went over your head too.