Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2012, 01:49 PM

Default Slate Pro Audio RAVEN MTX Multi-Touch Production System

Man this thing looks crazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HHiXqcyu2M

Quote:
Steven Slate introduces his latest game-changer, the Raven MTX Multi-Touch Production System. This innovative machine combines a state of the art multi-touch monitor, powerful DAW control software, and a full featured analog monitor section with tons of features geared towards the modern audio engineer.
www.slateproaudio.com

Looks like the website is down now, wonder how much these will be going for?

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 10-25-2012, 06:55 PM

Default Re: Slate Pro Audio RAVEN MTX Multi-Touch Production System

amen! Wonder how much?? Would love to get my hands...er...fingers on one for a day

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-25-2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
amen! Wonder how much?? Would love to get my hands...er...fingers on one for a day
Hmm I don't know. Watched the video and there seems to be a delay in between the finger motion and the screen reaction. Kinda feel like it would mess up the automations.
Windows 7 ultimate 64 sp1. intel i5 2500k 3.30 ghz. asus p8p67 evo rev 3. 16g kingston ddr3 1600. Asus engtx 560dc2 oc. Seagate Barracuda 7200 9 SATA 80-GB Hard Drive. 2x WD caviar black 7200 500 GB. 1x WD caviar black 7200 1 TB. Seagate Freeagent 7200 1 TB usb 2.0. SIIG NN-440012-S8.

PT 10. SIB 7. ProjectMix I/O. Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56. Focusrite Saffire pro 40. Genelec 8040. Axiom pro 61. Alesis Dm8 pro. Spector ns2000/5. Old vintage Vantage electric guitar. Bunch of VI's and plugins
Old 10-26-2012, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightworker View Post
Hmm I don't know. Watched the video and there seems to be a delay in between the finger motion and the screen reaction. Kinda feel like it would mess up the automations.
I've seen that kind of thing before in what I would call virtual control surfaces, especially something running on an iPad. Don't know if it's just a delay in writing to the screen of the device or is it a delay in writing to the daw program. OTOH it might even be a YouTube phenomenon. I wonder if this video will be up on the SSD site?

edit: the Slate site is up but there's nothing on the Raven. Considering that one never really hears about people using the Tango AV I have to wonder if this piece will really catch on. I'd hate to be on the bleeding edge with something like this that's probably up in the price range of the Euphonix System 5 stuff.

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 10-26-2012 at 04:46 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 10-26-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
I think they said the response is the fastest around, around 150ms delay. I read that somewhere.

EDIT: This is WRONG - I read the comment wrong. Someone said the latency was 150MS, and Slate replied
Quote:
our speed is as fast as some popular motorized faders! 150ms? No way!
Sorry about the mix up.

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio

Last edited by Benoni; 10-26-2012 at 08:29 AM. Reason: correcting the info
Old 10-26-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
edit: the Slate site is up but there's nothing on the Raven.
You're right. Hmm... thats weird. You think it would be plastered all over the main page.

You think it was a joke? Slate does this every now and then, but usually around April 1. Remember the Slate Fart Drum kit

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 10-26-2012, 07:51 AM

The Raven MTX is on the Slate site now. The site is designed horribly by the way. If you scroll to the bottom of the page and hover over PRODUCTS, you only see the Dragon and Fox, if you click the lower Products tab, you only see the Dragon and Fox.

At the top of the page on the tool bar, if you click Products you go to the Dragon and Fox. But if you just HOVER over the TOP Products tab, then the Raven MTX shows up and you can click it and read about it.

EDIT:

Ok, so first you need to click on the Products and be taken to the Dragon and Fox side by side page, or click one of the products from the drop down. THEN on that page you can hover over the top toolbar where it says Products and choose RAVEN. -Geez who designed this site

ah screw it, here is the direct link
http://www.slateproaudio.com/products/raven/

here are the pictures:

http://www.slateproaudio.com/wp-cont...0/IMG_7001.jpg

http://www.slateproaudio.com/wp-cont...xturedv1.7.jpg

http://www.slateproaudio.com/wp-cont...olbar-v1.1.jpg

http://www.slateproaudio.com/wp-cont...Hands-On-2.jpg

http://www.slateproaudio.com/wp-cont.../IMG_69581.jpg

If Slate wants to give me one of these I guess I would take it and do some video reviews on it

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 10-26-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
I think they said the response is the fastest around, around 150ms delay. I read that somewhere.
Enough to really skew your automations then, or maybe not not sure what my little tool (see sig) has in terms of communication latency with the computer. An other thing I noticed is the spacing of the faders on the touch screens is wide. Hope there's a way to change the screen resolution, I doubt you could work 8 faders at once without becoming vulcan on all your fingers lol.
Windows 7 ultimate 64 sp1. intel i5 2500k 3.30 ghz. asus p8p67 evo rev 3. 16g kingston ddr3 1600. Asus engtx 560dc2 oc. Seagate Barracuda 7200 9 SATA 80-GB Hard Drive. 2x WD caviar black 7200 500 GB. 1x WD caviar black 7200 1 TB. Seagate Freeagent 7200 1 TB usb 2.0. SIIG NN-440012-S8.

PT 10. SIB 7. ProjectMix I/O. Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56. Focusrite Saffire pro 40. Genelec 8040. Axiom pro 61. Alesis Dm8 pro. Spector ns2000/5. Old vintage Vantage electric guitar. Bunch of VI's and plugins
Old 10-26-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Enough to really skew your automations then, or maybe not not sure what my little tool (see sig) has in terms of communication latency with the computer. An other thing I noticed is the spacing of the faders on the touch screens is wide. Hope there's a way to change the screen resolution, I doubt you could work 8 faders at once without becoming vulcan on all your fingers lol.
I corrected my post. I read the 150ms number from Youtube comments and i confused a random poster with the reply from Slate Audio - sorry about that.

I found the comment on youtube, and here they are:

Quote:
Is Slate Digital going to insure all of the dongles and phones that get their USB interface ports snapped and mangled on the flat horizontal surface? I think not. Why not have created insets for them? Would be much smarter. Also this thing seems to have serious lag when he touches the screen. At least 150 ms. Major creativity buzzkill.
Youtube user
Reply from Slate Audio
Quote:
If you don't want to use the onboard USB, don't use them! But when a client needs a quick mix loaded from a thumb drive, they are super convenient! And our speed is as fast as some popular motorized faders! 150ms? No way!
SlateAudio

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 10-26-2012, 09:28 AM

Well that seems promising, only that my faders doesn't lag behind when I move them