Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 06-05-2022, 12:59 PM

Default Faders out of sync

I am having trouble making the faders work on PT with the Avid Dock.

There's gotta be something seriously wrong as i can not really reproduce the same case, but it never works i expect.

Examples:

Moving fader on the dock will not be recognized by PT (despite Avid Control in iPad recognizes it$) https://youtu.be/kwxfVWdWkkE

Moving fader in PT will not be followed by the dock> https://youtu.be/cVnEdt8Wqmk

-all software are the latest, so is the Dock firmware
-they are connected to a switch, but it does not matter. connecting the dock directly to the macbook produced the same result
-it does not matter whether the Avid Control App on the iPad runs or not
-moving the Dock fader sometimes battles against the volume setting in Pro Tools. like PT does not follow, but sometimes updates the fader according to where it thinks it should be.
-everything else work fine. but the fader.

I assume i did some blatantly wrong. Or my Dock is faulty and has issues detecting the touch. That's my best bet.

any suggestion?
Old 06-05-2022, 01:13 PM

Default Re: Faders out of sync

What automation mode is the track in? And how about clearly showing the master fader volume automation track as you move that fader (so we can see what automation is there and what is being written or not). Presumably it's adjusting the master fader volume? Could not see anything really useful in the shaky video, next time please capture a screen video vs. waving around a phone.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 06-05-2022 at 01:34 PM.
Old 06-05-2022, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamgrf View Post

There's gotta be something seriously wrong as i can not really reproduce the same case, but it never works i expect.

Examples:

Moving fader on the dock will not be recognized by PT (despite Avid Control in iPad recognizes it$) https://youtu.be/kwxfVWdWkkE

Moving fader in PT will not be followed by the dock> https://youtu.be/cVnEdt8Wqmk

-they are connected to a switch, but it does not matter. connecting the dock directly to the macbook produced the same result
-moving the Dock fader sometimes battles against the volume setting in Pro Tools. like PT does not follow, but sometimes updates the fader according to where it thinks it should be.

I assume i did some blatantly wrong. Or my Dock is faulty and has issues detecting the touch. That's my best bet.

any suggestion?

To test if the Dock fader is reading touch, put the track into Touch mode and then simply touch the fader while playing. Be sure to have Vol enabled in the Automation Parameters. If the track automation mode indicator turns red, then you know it’s receiving the finger touch. If it is not, restart the Dock and try again.

I have had circumstances where a fader would not receive the physical touch and a reboot of the control surface fixed it
Old 06-05-2022, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
What automation mode is the track in? And how about clearly showing the master fader volume automation track as you move that fader (so we can see what automation is there and what is being written or not). Presumably it's adjusting the master fader volume? Could not see anything really useful in the shaky video, next time please capture a screen video vs. waving around a phone.
Sorry i thought everything relevant are visible in the video. Eg, have you realized that the iPad app and the Dock are following each other but Pro Tools?

I was controlling track 2, no automation written on that, track is in auto latch. I also checked the other suggestion, which i am going to reply below.
Old 06-05-2022, 03:03 PM

good point! it does not look like reads touch. or i am still missing something.
(restarting it did not help). But then again: in the first video i posted the iPad app reads the Dock fader movement, but Pro Tools... i can imagine it is due to not sensing touch.

testing your suggestion led me here:

https://youtu.be/c2aZhCYkH4U
Old 06-05-2022, 03:27 PM

Try some classic capacitive touch things...

Lick your finger and touch the fader knob with that, hold onto something electrically grounded with your other hand.

I am assuming the Dock may be grounded via it's power supply, but not entirely sure, either way make sure you are using the original power supply and grounded IEC cord that came with it. Check the ground at your power outlet.

Check that the fader knob is not loose or wobbling on it's post. Remove it/swap with another knob if you say have an S1 or just remove and touch the bare metal post.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 06-05-2022 at 03:57 PM.
Old 06-05-2022, 07:26 PM

Try taking off the cap on the fader. It just pulls off. Clean out any dust or dirt under the cap and on the stem of the motorized fader. Test some other encoders on the Dock to make sure those are working for touch. Did any thing happen with your system before this all started? If this Dock is less than a year old you can start a support case for the issue.
Old 06-07-2022, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamgrf View Post

Examples:

any suggestion?
I've had this happen when I bought my (second hand) S3. The wires connecting the fader to the board control power, motor movements for read, and write (my understanding of it).

Open the panel at the bottom and re-seat the connector to the fader module. Check that no wires are pulled out or damaged. Luckily for me, I was able to jiggle it back tightly and haven't had an issue since.

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system