Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 03-14-2018, 10:43 AM

Default Re: hdx aaxdsp is dying

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
this is why i said reasonably priced..

the soundgrid i/o here in oz at least without any DSP is like 4 grand.. the apollo quad is 4 grand (best price actually is 3600 here in AUD)

you would need at minimum the impact server on top, and both waves i/o AND even the tiny impact server are all fan powered.. eek. Anyway to get an impact server here with all currency conversion and shipping costs is about 1200 AUD. Might be 1300 if customs flags it.. Threshold is currently 1000 AUD so depends on the day. You can get an apollo twin quad for 1500 then a behringer ada 8200 for 300 so 10 inputs with uad quad for 1800 total, ready to go.

For someone with a machine room and a bit more money to spend, definitely a great option though, agreed on that.. waves' catalog is plentiful and covers absolutely everything anyone might ever need to put on a live signal being monitored through FX.. i would say that even though UAD's emulations are far superior, with waves you have many creative choices you just don't have with UAD.. If waves made it simpler (they discontinued the only interface they had which had i/o with dsp on board) to understand, that wouldn't hurt either ........

My humble opinion on this is that if you want DSP, HDX is still the only fully Pro Tools integrated system.
It's so easy. And it works great.
I never regretted going from TDM to HDX. Dont want to deal with multiple layers @ la Soundgrid or UAD.

Honnestly, i understand your opinion and agree that Avid should do some things differently.

But at the end of the day, this system is the only one i want to do the work i do with my workflow. There is plenty of AAX DSP plugins available to do the job right. And i use a lot of native plugins while mixing too.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioluche View Post
My humble opinion on this is that if you want DSP, HDX is still the only fully Pro Tools integrated system.
It's so easy. And it works great.
I never regretted going from TDM to HDX. Dont want to deal with multiple layers @ la Soundgrid or UAD.

Honnestly, i understand your opinion and agree that Avid should do some things differently.

But at the end of the day, this system is the only one i want to do the work i do with my workflow. There is plenty of AAX DSP plugins available to do the job right. And i use a lot of native plugins while mixing too.
but do you t think my idea of a turnkey interface, say 8 analog in and 8 adat, with say 8 dsp chips instead of 17 or whatever it is, thunderbolt connector, no fan, single rack like apollo.. and just plug and play with PT HD and aax dsp plugins, with dual thunderbolt ports for chaining.. makes sense? For say 2500 USD? Or 2999 with hd software.. a bundle.. as it is, even HD native really is a rip off.

Of course HDX would be my ultimate and that would have been enough for me to stay with PT forever, as i'd have sidechain PDC, and 64 inputs of ultra low latency monitoring with dsp plugins that do not make the cpu jump. Then i could set the HDX buffer at 128 for VI;s and never worry about it again.

The problem is, just one hdx card, and hd software, withOUT a single interface, is 7995 AUD here. It's ludicrous.

If Avid opened up their i/o count like every other daw (for example cubase allows 256 in and out), then i could have stuck with apollos and PT and do the same thing, have a low latency zero cpu monitoring solution and set my buffer at 128 for everything else.. and live happily ever after.

PS i would also need to spend 5 GRAND on an iso box for all the hdx hardware and noisy I/os as there is no machine room here. Apollos are silent.

With apollo my total outlay can be $10995 AUD for 64 ins, if pro tools had allowed it.. i would have 2 quads and 2 duos in that price and 4 adat expanders. 64 ins. There are workarounds due to uad pt mode as i explained elsewhere here, but it's not seamless like cubase and logic is with apollo. I'd have to swap between the sets of 32 ins and then change them in pro tools and record 32 at a time.. also punch in is not pleasant due to lack of correct auto muting.

yes HDX solves *everything* and there are wonderful HDX plugins already available.. but if avid made it more affordable and realistic, people would actually be BUYING it in larger quantities, and plugin devs galore WOULD be supporting it, maybe even waves as they wouldn't have a choice if HDX was cheaper than their own system. But avid really haven't got a clue how to appeal to a mass audience.
Old 03-14-2018, 02:37 PM

I'm afraid to post, but back in 2011 when HDX was introduced, there was no other technical way to achieve low-latency equal to HD.

If you don't need low-latency, go Native and vote on the ACA to increase PT Native's track count.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
but do you t think my idea of a turnkey interface, say 8 analog in and 8 adat, with say 8 dsp chips instead of 17 or whatever it is, thunderbolt connector, no fan, single rack like apollo.. and just plug and play with PT HD and aax dsp plugins, with dual thunderbolt ports for chaining.. makes sense? For say 2500 USD? Or 2999 with hd software.. a bundle.. as it is, even HD native really is a rip off.

Of course HDX would be my ultimate and that would have been enough for me to stay with PT forever, as i'd have sidechain PDC, and 64 inputs of ultra low latency monitoring with dsp plugins that do not make the cpu jump. Then i could set the HDX buffer at 128 for VI;s and never worry about it again.

The problem is, just one hdx card, and hd software, withOUT a single interface, is 7995 AUD here. It's ludicrous.

If Avid opened up their i/o count like every other daw (for example cubase allows 256 in and out), then i could have stuck with apollos and PT and do the same thing, have a low latency zero cpu monitoring solution and set my buffer at 128 for everything else.. and live happily ever after.

PS i would also need to spend 5 GRAND on an iso box for all the hdx hardware and noisy I/os as there is no machine room here. Apollos are silent.

With apollo my total outlay can be $10995 AUD for 64 ins, if pro tools had allowed it.. i would have 2 quads and 2 duos in that price and 4 adat expanders. 64 ins. There are workarounds due to uad pt mode as i explained elsewhere here, but it's not seamless like cubase and logic is with apollo. I'd have to swap between the sets of 32 ins and then change them in pro tools and record 32 at a time.. also punch in is not pleasant due to lack of correct auto muting.

yes HDX solves *everything* and there are wonderful HDX plugins already available.. but if avid made it more affordable and realistic, people would actually be BUYING it in larger quantities, and plugin devs galore WOULD be supporting it, maybe even waves as they wouldn't have a choice if HDX was cheaper than their own system. But avid really haven't got a clue how to appeal to a mass audience.

Hi TNM.
Yes, of course, i agree with you. Avid should do portable and affordable DSP systems a la Apollo, they should lower the price (in my case, i had a pretty good deal a couple of years ago).

For me , even at the regular price, i feel that it is a good deal, compared to what i've paid for my TDM system. But i understand that if you dont make a living from this, the price is high.

Anyway, cant be against a more affordable solution and more developpment

Like you, i wish Avid would push more for HDX developpment.
We will see what the future bring for HDX or AAX DSP.
Meanwhile, it's a wonderfull system to work with!

Cheers

Luc
Old 03-15-2018, 11:40 AM

I’ve been on hdx for about a week now. Still working out a few kinks but mostly it has been fantastic. By far the most stable system I’ve used in years.

I had out grown my tdm hd6 rig. I was being forced out by os updates, lack of developer support, running out of voices, running out of memory, crashes when maxed out...it was just time.

For me, I’ve been planning the jump for years and it was the cheapest way to go. With the exception of the avid update plan, similar to waves wup which I look at as an insurance slash/support package, I already had the pt 12hd software natively (for years) and was using it for heavy vocal editing that I could not do in pt 10hd. In that I have been on pro tools since v5 I had gotten to the point that I owned about 95% of the tdm plugins ever made (which was one of the reasons that I waited so long) but my native collection eventually dwarfed my tdm collection and a lot of the native stuff had aax versions included. I already had interfaces (2 192’s, hd 16i/o, Omni, apogee trak 2)...so the only missing piece was the hdx card which I got for under 2k.

The last 2 things I might do is upgrade my cpu in my cheese grater Mac pro to a 3.46 12 core which is about $300 and maybe go to 128 gigs of ram.

Between the hdx card, uad Octo and native 64 bit power there isn’t another system out there for me. And yes, for the most part the aaxdsp plug that are available are good but the lack of aaxdsp support and options will mean the lack of interest and cost effectiveness of the platform. If you are as good as the food you eat and you stop eating the food...you will eventually die.

Pro tools hdx is really only as good as the plugins that you can run on it. There in no point in having all the horsepower it has if there are very few plugins that use it...regardless of how good the other features are. Avid has been asleep at the wheel for some time which is why a cheaper solution such as uad which had less power, not as great specs and worse converters has been able to dominate.

It is all bout the plugins just as the iPhone is all about the apps.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:13 PM

I feel the same way. There is nothing out there I would prefer over my HDX rig.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-15-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
I feel the same way. There is nothing out there I would prefer over my HDX rig.

Samsies
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:11 PM

Same here. Every time I try working on a native system I come running back to my HDX rig. It just works.
M1MAX Mac Studio OS 14.3, PT2023.12.1, HDX, S1/Dock
M1 PRO MacBook Pro OS 14.3, PT2033.12.1, BabyFacePro FS
Old 03-15-2018, 09:37 PM

Agreed. I’m maxing out a HDX 2 system and contemplating a 3rd HDX card! Love HDX!
DSP & IO : Pro Tools HDX2(2018.3), 2x UAD Octo, HDIO 16x16 Analog IO(3), HDIO 16x16 Digital IO
Plugins: Avid, DMG Audio, Kush, oeksound, P'n'T, Plugin Alliance, Softube, SoundTheory, Sonnox, Sound Radix, SoundToys, UAD, VEP, etc
Hardware: API, Chandler, Hardy, Moog, Neve, Shadow Hills, Smart, Summit, TC Electronic M6000, UREI, etc
Microphones: Telefunken, Neumann, Shure, AKG
Old 03-16-2018, 05:20 AM

Plus, this just out. AAX DSP

https://www.sonnox.com/plugin/oxford-dynamic-eq

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com