Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2012, 10:51 AM

Default OSX Version Test (PT10 not good for Mountain Lion)

Well there's been plenty of issues with PT 10 and people upgrading to Mountain Lion. Everyone knows this and to be honest I've been seriously considering switching over to Logic just so I dont have to deal with these compatibility issues.

However before I gave up on PT I wanted to try something, I wanted to get back to the care free days of my PT9 and Snow Leopard system which was almost completely error free.

So I completely reformatted my system and installed snow leopard then installed PT10 with all of my plug ins and so on. In a session running 4 instances of Garritan Personal Orchestra with something like 30 midi channels as well as iZotope on the master bus I was able to run this session completely error free. Where on Mnt Lion i had been getting CPU overload and buffer errors after 5 seconds of play, it was now completely fine, just a 6101 error every once in a while when I wouldn't let my plug ins pre-cache for a few seconds.

So my question is this: Why, Avid? Why isnt PT10 working on Mountain Lion? Can't I have all the workflow wonders and apps that come with the newest OSX and still have my Pro Tools? As a programmer, I realize asking this is like asking why the universe exists, but as a consumer its the most straightforward question that a software company should be able to answer. Don't make excuses. Fix it.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:32 PM

Amen brother.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Tampa Bay, Florida
http://www.frankencat.com
<><

PT 2018.12 (Win)
PT 10.3.10 (Win)
Mbox Pro Gen 3 Firmware 1.0.4
Focusrite 18i8 Gen 2 (mobile rig)
Windows 10 Enterprise (main PT OS)
Mac Mojave 10.14.4 (no PT at the moment)
Old 11-20-2012, 12:59 PM

Default Re: OSX Version Test (PT10 not good for Mountain Lion)

Thread 1981432 might help you.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:12 PM

Default Re: OSX Version Test (PT10 not good for Mountain Lion)

Running PT 10.3.2 on Mountain Lion 10.8.2 with no problems to speak of. You do have to pay attention to setup, especially buffers, cpu percentage use and number of processors used. Go short on any of those and you WILL have problems with crashes and errors.

So if you're having problems it's not the fault of ProTools but the operator. PT is not plug and play - never was, never will be. Maybe Logic is like that.

Then again the computer I'm running this setup on came with ML already on it. If you're upgrading an older system and possibly using Migration Assistant then that'll cause problems for sure.

QAPLA!