Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2007, 03:42 PM

Default How To Turn NAP Off (What they don\'t tell you)

Ya gotta love the user friendly twidgets of Digi! But what do you expect, they haven't updated the General Troubleshooting since 2003... To turn off NAP what they DON'T tell you in the General Troubleshooting section for PT 6 & 7 is that after downloading the NAP app you unstuff it with stuffit. Move the unstuffed napsetting app to your applications folder. Then open the napsetting app with ScriptEditor and change =1 to =0 in the script to change the command to not allow NAP on reboot. Then click "save" so it saves the changed application. Do not save it as a script, it has to remain an application. Then open System Preferences > Accounts > Login Items and drag the changed app into the login items window.
2 GHz G5 Dual Core Mac with 2GB RAM OS 10.4.8 Pro Tools 7.3.1cs8 Separate internal audio drive 23" Mac monitor Pro Tools HD 3 Accel (PCI 1 Core Card, 2 Accel Cards) MassivePack Pro 4 Digidesign PRE (2) 192 I/Os w/192AD Expansion cards Magma PE6R4 6 Slot PCIe to PCI-X Expansion Chassis
Old 05-11-2007, 10:17 PM

Default Re: How To Turn NAP Off (What they don\'t tell you)

Quote:
Ya gotta love the user friendly twidgets of Digi! But what do you expect, they haven't updated the General Troubleshooting since 2003... To turn off NAP what they DON'T tell you in the General Troubleshooting section for PT 6 & 7 is that after downloading the NAP app you unstuff it with stuffit. Move the unstuffed napsetting app to your applications folder. Then open the napsetting app with ScriptEditor and change =1 to =0 in the script to change the command to not allow NAP on reboot. Then click "save" so it saves the changed application. Do not save it as a script, it has to remain an application. Then open System Preferences > Accounts > Login Items and drag the changed app into the login items window.
BUMP!!!

Thanks so much for posting that, Brush.

I've always wondered why that damn NAP was still on after all that yin-yang...aye.

Good lookin' out good brother.

-Eric @ Studio Curve Dominant
[email protected]
Old 05-11-2007, 10:32 PM

Please explain what NAP is and how it helps to have it turned off. I searched the forum and just found a question about how to turn it off, but it did not explain what it is.
Thank you.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Please explain what NAP is and how it helps to have it turned off. I searched the forum and just found a question about how to turn it off, but it did not explain what it is.
Thank you.
NAP is a CPU processor power-down feature, which ostensibly reduces heat while the host processor chip is not in use, by kicking in when the machine senses that it is ... I dunno, time to "nap," I guess.

Apparently, it can also induce system crashes if enabled while DAW systems are in use.

It can also cause the computer to emit a whining sound - which I've noticed is now conspicuously absent from my G4, now that I've implimented Brushfire's NAP ScriptEdit fix (yes, it worked).

The DUC should consider making this thread a sticky, OR, addending the Troubleshooting page to include this new info.

I've been experiencing some weird system crashes while running the MBox system, and it will be interesting to see if those crashes desist, now that I've got the NAP setting to switch off.

I will keep us posted in that regard.

-Eric Vincent @ Studio Curve Dominant
[email protected]