Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 11-30-2021, 12:29 AM

Default Dual macs, external software instruments, latency and best practice

Hi all

I've been experimenting with external software instruments and effects using two macs and two RME interfaces connected via SPDIF and the results have been great - I can run the VST machine at very low sample/buffer sizes no matter how big the ProTools session gets on the other computer.

I'm wondering whats the best practice with setting up latency and delays while doing this. I'm getting almost no latency from the VST as I'm hearing it direct through TotalMix, but I'm noticing that on the ProTools grid there's some delay as I'm recording to the click. Obviously my playing could always improve, but that aside, how should I set this system up for best accuracy?

Specifically:

Am I affecting timing of the click if I'm changing buffer sizes on the ProTools machine while I play along triggering samples from the VST machine?
How would delay compensation affect or be calculated for an external VST if at all?
Should I be using the Hardware Insert Delay to offset any latency of the VST machine or printing while on higher buffer sizes? If so how should I calculate this?

Results I have aren't bad, but I feel they could be better and would love to know what the ideal oder of operations is here.

Many thanks in advance, apologies if this is elsewhere, I think this is a pretty odd setup (probably for good reason).

Olly

Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 7.25.43 pm.jpg