Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 10-24-2018, 06:47 AM

Default Pro Tools not registering any incoming audio on macOS Mojave

Now I know this topic has already been brought up numerous times including an almost identical issue back in August, but I thought I'd post this in the hope that someone may have some other solutions before I go ahead and backdate my OSX.

Problem
I have lost incoming audio signal into Pro Tools. My device (Audient ID22) is recognised, it shows up in Mac System Preferences and is properly named in PT, System Prefs and Audio Midi Setup automatically, but Pro Tools will not register any incoming audio from anything, including my Built-In Mic. It plays sound wherever I tell it to play from Pro Tools but the inputs just aren't responding. This started happening about 4 days ago and I (stupidly) updated my OS to Mojave about 7 days ago.

I have tried the following:

- Verifed proper playback engine selection within PT.
- Verified proper I/O Configuration (even deleting ins, outs, busses, and inserts and replacing with "default").
- Verified proper configuration within Mac System Preferences
- I've included the Audient as a part of the ProTools Aggregate I/O, and reverified the Playback Engine was set to PT Aggregate I/O and defaulted all I/O paths once again.
- I have verified that the Audient ID22 registers incoming audio signal in System Preferences/Sound (the level meter registers sound)
- I have since uninstalled the Audient drivers via their uninstall tool, I then reconfigured the playback device to built-in (along with I/Os, Inputs on the tracks, etc.) and retested to see if the built-in mic worked in PT. No luck.

This problem is isolated to PT and nothing else. I feel as though I've tried every single option/solution that I've been able to research. I can still record MIDI and every other function appears to be working ok, but I just can't find a way to fix the lack of audio input signal and my workflow is suffering!

I realise that the most obvious fix for this is to backdate my OS but I would love to avoid doing that as it's a time consuming hassle! I also don't have a recent Time Machine backup to make it easier. Can anyone help me? I appreciate your time and thought to help me resolve this.
Old 10-24-2018, 07:54 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools not registering any incoming audio

Welcome to the community.

Subscribe to the article below for changes. I'm on 10.12 on all my systems, so I don't know what the deal is with Mojave.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/C...S-Mojave-10-14
Old 10-24-2018, 11:38 AM

Personally I have not found any problem so far experimenting with Pro Tools 2018.10 on Mojave, but I've not done much with it. (Other uses on DUC are reporting input problems with Pro tools 11(!) on Mojave).

Aggregate IO composing of Built In Output and Built-In Input/mic certainly work for me on a 2017 MBP.

Does Aggregate IO without the ID22 work for you? If so try contacting Audient.

You tried the other troubleshooting. Trashing Prefs? Creating a new empty session? Creating a new admin user and testing from there? Punch yourself in the head (for not having a backup). Uninstall and reinstall Pro Tools.

You really should not be relying on Time Machine for system level backups. Go get Carbon Copy Cloner, and use it to clone to a rotating set of bootable clone backups. Then recovery is as quick as it takes to reboot your computer. Time machine is really more suited to general user/document, maybe session backups.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:08 AM

Thanks Darryl. I trashed preferences and did a reinstall of PT today and nothing has changed.

Aggregate IO without ID22 works fine for me so I have contacted Audient fort some assistance.

Any other possible things to try would be most welcome!

And cheers for the Time Machine advice - I'll check out Carbon Copy Cloner
Old 10-25-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You really should not be relying on Time Machine for system level backups. Go get Carbon Copy Cloner, and use it to clone to a rotating set of bootable clone backups. Then recovery is as quick as it takes to reboot your computer. Time machine is really more suited to general user/document, maybe session backups.
Agreed on Timemachine.

Cloning and making disk image files with CCC is one way, but I think many are unaware that you can make disk images easily on any mac without CCC.

Reboot from recovery partition.
Launch Disk Utilities.
Select the disk and "New disk image" from the menu.

Restore a disk:
Boot from recovery partition.
Select disk and image file and restore.

Very easy.
And safe. I used this method for many years and it has never failed me. Never needed CCC.

Just thought I'd mention it.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:06 PM

Useful points by Ben.

Yes you don’t *need* CCC and knowing say how to restore a system from an CCC image clone without CCC can be handy.

The main benefit of CCC is simplicity of use on one hand and the ability to do things like incremental and other backups (and yes simplicity and extra features may conflict with each other). Just things like helping average users through backup or recovery partitions is probably worth the money.

The most important thing about making any backups is testing they work. With bootable clone backups that’s easy, you boot off them and run apps and checks sessions etc. or whatever else is critical is there and you check it actually works. Difficulty of testing like that is one of the downsides of Time Machine for systems backups. And with image backups you need multiple target disks to clone to, in a rotating pool, guess what happens when you have one backup drive... when is the most likely time to find a problem on the source drive? Yep part way through your backup, now you have a screwed source drive and screwed backup. And get some clones stored offsite/away from the computer, staff, clients etc. If you run a commercial facility, have a written down and tested backup and recovery plan. (Backup ideally should be automated, and errors automatically flagged and also say take advantage of NAS for user and session backups).
Old 10-26-2018, 12:20 PM

Back to the original issue. As pointed out by Drew in other threads... (not sure if I ever did this on zmojave or not myself).

“Go to the securities preferences and approve the microphone input.”

I would try messing around with stuff there to see if that helps.
Old 10-26-2018, 02:25 PM

Darryl, I have spent a week searching and searching for the problem. Hours each day trying out a million different things to get this working. Pulling my hair out wondering why this suddenly stopped working. I was about 5 minutes away from finally succumbing to the last resort of backdating the OS when you wrote that sentence. I simply went into security preferences and checked the Pro Tools box in mic settings and IT WORKED!

No idea why that suddenly became unchecked but I don't care. Can't believe it was something so unbelievably simple and I honestly cannot thank you enough!!
Old 10-26-2018, 04:21 PM

Yep, and again it’s not me, thank Drew, I just noticed that advice elsewhere and know several folks were affected by this. Now for the life of me I cannot remember enabling it on my Mojave’s install.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:58 PM

I just wanted to say that I too was having the worst luck with getting a signal in Pro Tools on Mojave. I, too, tried everything and was 30 minutes from slamming my iMac into a concrete curb.

But once I read this:
“Go to the securities preferences and approve the microphone input.”

It was fixed in seconds. My problems gone! I joined just to say THANK YOU! Thank you for that input. What a game changer. *Fist pumps all night!*

I've come here multiple times of the course of a decade for all kinds of Pro Tools help. Thanks to everyone who always do their best to help those in need.

Big ups to you all!

Brian