Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2007, 01:40 PM

Default Newbie HD Setup

I'm transitioning from a 002R to a used HD 2 system. My system is: 2 GHz G5 Dual Core Mac with 2GB RAM OS 10.4.8 Separate internal audio HD 23" Mac monitor Pro Tools HD 2 Accel MassivePack Pro 4 Digidesign PRE (2)192 I/Os w/192AD Expansion cards Magma PE6R4 6 Slot PCIe to PCI-X Expansion Chassis.

I'm in the process of hooking everything up. I have the cards in the Magma chassis according to Digi Support:

"Slot orders in the chassis run from left (closest to the power supply) to right"

which is a tad confusing as the power supply is on the right if you are looking at the Magma from the front, so I'm assuming that they are assuming people will look at it from the rear, which would put the power supply on the left. The Core Card goes into the first open slot (6) next to the non-operational slot, then the accel cards. (Thank you to Shawn Simpson for reiterating the Port A to Port B setup between cards)

I have all the cables hooked up on the back except I'm not clear on how the PRE connects with the primary and secondary I/O.

(1) The connection is made with a DB-25 cable, is this a standard DB-25 cable that you can buy from CompUsa? I searched the DUC and couldn't find anything.

(2) The PRE guide says to connect the PRE outputs to analog inputs on your Digidesign audio interface (for example, to connect PRE to a 192 I/O, use a DB-25 cable to connect the PRE outputs to the Analog Inputs on the 192 I/O). For each PRE output, note the respective audio interface input channels, as these will be the physical inputs you map PRE outputs to in Pro Tools. For example, PRE outputs 1-8 attached to a standard 192 I/O map to analog inputs 1-8; however, PRE outputs 1-8 attached to the second A/D card on a 192 I/O represent analog inputs 9-16. Both 192 I/Os have expansion cards.

If I connect the analog output from the PRE to the Analog Input on the primary I/O with the DB-25 cable it seems clear that PRE outputs 1-8 are taken care of. What isn't clear is whether or not the digilink and loop sync DNC cables connecting the two I/Os will communicate all the rest of the inputs (9-16, etc.) available via the software. Or does another hardware connection have to be made between the I/Os with another DB-25 cable?

(3) I read the thread on GUI freeze problems with 7.3.1cs3 and it doesn't sound like a solution has been found yet. Because I have the Magma PE6R4 Chassis Digidesign Support States that:

"Pro Tools HD 7.3.1cs1 or Higher Required for Magma PE6R4 Expansion Chassis
Please Note: Pro Tools HD 7.3.1cs1 (or higher CS release) for Mac OS X is required to use Pro Tools HD with the Magma PE6R4."

Anybody experience better luck with one of the earlier 7.3.1cs updates?

Thanks,
Brushfire
2 GHz G5 Dual Core Mac with 2GB RAM OS 10.4.8 Separate internal audio HD 23" Mac monitor Pro Tools HD 2 Accel MassivePack Pro 4 Digidesign PRE (2) 192 I/Os w/192AD Expansion cards Magma PE6R4 6 Slot PCIe to PCI-X Expansion Chassis
2 GHz G5 Dual Core Mac with 2GB RAM OS 10.4.8 Pro Tools 7.3.1cs8 Separate internal audio drive 23" Mac monitor Pro Tools HD 3 Accel (PCI 1 Core Card, 2 Accel Cards) MassivePack Pro 4 Digidesign PRE (2) 192 I/Os w/192AD Expansion cards Magma PE6R4 6 Slot PCIe to PCI-X Expansion Chassis
Old 07-02-2007, 03:36 PM

Default Re: Newbie HD Setup

Congratulations on your move.

"Slot orders in the chassis run from left (closest to the power supply) to right"

which is a tad confusing as the power supply is on the right if you are looking at the Magma from the front, so I'm assuming that they are assuming people will look at it from the rear, which would put the power supply on the left. The Core Card goes into the first open slot (6) next to the non-operational slot, then the accel cards. (Thank you to Shawn Simpson for reiterating the Port A to Port B setup between cards)

Since one has to actually open an expansion chassis (i.e take off its top cover) in order to install cards in it, it shouldn’t matter from whence one looks. When actually looking, the power supply will be hard to miss.

(1) The connection is made with a DB-25 cable, is this a standard DB-25 cable that you can buy from CompUsa?

Do yourself a favor and use proper audio cables. CompUSA won’t sell those. I’m sure that in Nashville you won’t have any trouble finding a reputable dealer that can provide you with what’s appropriate. Additionally, there are numerous outfits found online (including Digidesign). It would be downright silly to make an investment such as the one you made only to sabotage yourself by using inappropriate cabling.

If I connect the analog output from the PRE to the Analog Input on the primary I/O with the DB-25 cable it seems clear that PRE outputs 1-8 are taken care of. What isn't clear is whether or not the digilink and loop sync DNC cables connecting the two I/Os will communicate all the rest of the inputs (9-16, etc.) available via the software. Or does another hardware connection have to be made between the I/Os with another DB-25 cable?

If you have two PREs and your 192 I/O is equipped with an additional A/D card, you simply connect the output of PRE #1 to 192 A/D #1 (the standard one), and the output of PRE #2 to 192 A/D #2 (expansion port). The above requires a total of 2 DB25-terminated cables. Repeat for PREs #3 and #4 connected to your second 192 I/O. Your grand total is now up to four DB25-terminated cables.

Once these physical connections are made, you will have to visit both the “Hardware Setup” and the “I/O Setup” dialogs within ProTools and set things so they reflect your hardware. That’s how ProTools “knows” what comprises your system and make all these facilities available to you while working.

Be sure to connect Digilink cables as explained in the “Getting Started Guide.” In short, for your system, one Digilink cable from your Core card (in the expansion chassis) to 192 #1’s Primary port, and a second Digilink cable from 192 #1’s Expansion port to 192 #2’s Primary port.

Loop Synch cables only pass sync data from box to box — all other data is handled by the Diigilink connections. Be sure to use proper 75 Ohm cables, terminated with good quality BNC (not DNC) connectors, and keep them as short as possible. Again, read the “Getting Started Guide” and follow its directions scrupulously.

Since you purchased a used system, it is possible that you may miss some of the documentation normally accompanying the hardware and software. No problem, since everything is always readily available for download from Digidesign’s web site (itself among the very best in the business).

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 07-02-2007, 05:04 PM

Default Re: Newbie HD Setup

Thanks Andre! I've been reading and re-reading the manuals, triple checking my connections, etc. I'm not a real tech kinda guy, just trying to do what I have to do to make sure everything will work right. Thanks too for reiterating the Digilink cable connections between the core card, I/O #1 and I/O #2.
2 GHz G5 Dual Core Mac with 2GB RAM OS 10.4.8 Pro Tools 7.3.1cs8 Separate internal audio drive 23" Mac monitor Pro Tools HD 3 Accel (PCI 1 Core Card, 2 Accel Cards) MassivePack Pro 4 Digidesign PRE (2) 192 I/Os w/192AD Expansion cards Magma PE6R4 6 Slot PCIe to PCI-X Expansion Chassis