How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 03-24-2021, 10:27 PM

Default Re: Processor recommendations for new MacPro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Seaberg View Post
Strictly audio but a couple of these systems are doing audio post to picture, so we will upgrade all of them to the "midfield" Radeon W5700Z graphics card.

Thanks again for the thoughts!!

Understand, for 4K it will be great. The Scale Logic System is fantastic. Doing multiple shows, daily’s or large scale theatrical it gives you a lot of control and options. Don’t know if you will need more cores to speed along. We chose the 7.1 rack version to get in and out of quickly if needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2021, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzone View Post
Understand, for 4K it will be great. The Scale Logic System is fantastic. Doing multiple shows, daily’s or large scale theatrical it gives you a lot of control and options. Don’t know if you will need more cores to speed along. We chose the 7.1 rack version to get in and out of quickly if needed.

Yup, we're doing the rack, as well. We're adding a couple of SSL System-T consoles later and the rack MacPros will rack along side the SSL engines.

Thanks again to everyone for the input!!
Old 03-26-2021, 05:22 AM

There's a good video (2 in fact, but the second one is very short) on YouTube by Neil Parfitt, who works in music composition and sound to picture, about sizing a Mac Pro for audio work. It may not answer all your questions but it's informative and he's a clever guy. He uses PT and HDX and MTRX, UAD and a room filled with analog gear too. And Logic on the same machine.

His conclusion is that 16 core is the sweet spot from a price/performance perspective, although he bought the 28 core for his own use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXl4rPEgFBA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMC2EEu-6aM
Old 03-26-2021, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
There's a good video (2 in fact, but the second one is very short) on YouTube by Neil Parfitt, who works in music composition and sound to picture, about sizing a Mac Pro for audio work. It may not answer all your questions but it's informative and he's a clever guy. He uses PT and HDX and MTRX, UAD and a room filled with analog gear too. And Logic on the same machine.

His conclusion is that 16 core is the sweet spot from a price/performance perspective, although he bought the 28 core for his own use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXl4rPEgFBA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMC2EEu-6aM

Followed and communicated with Neil through his whole process setting up our 7.1. Every video he has is informative. Very smart way for separate sound cards for VEP, Logic, Pro Tools, composing and system set up if you choose that route or if it compliments your workflow.

Old 04-05-2021, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Because this 'group' may have gone through stuff that we haven't discovered yet!! Our engineering team pushes the edge for all of our video editors... while watching Avid video lists for problems... but we wanted some honest input as to what audio requirements/problems would be making this move. Based on replies I received in previous posts, we decided to make all our new MacPro purchases configured the same as what our video editors have.

Tried to save some money and decided it wasn't worth it... does that answer your question?
The DUC is largely smaller operators, musicians, composers and hobbyists. There are several that work at large scale but for the most part it's mid and small users/shops. There are still things to learn but as you've found from some of the responses for the most part they aren't familiar with what you do.
Old 08-01-2022, 09:13 PM

Quote:
We're finally upgrading our mid-2012 MacPros to new and am wondering if anyone has a recommendation for the CPU? 12-core? 16-core? Is the 8-core enough?

We'd load them with minimum 48GB RAM and probably bump up the graphics to Radeon Pro W5700X with 16GB.

We will NOT be using Avid hardware in most of the machines but using Thunderbolt to Focusrite Dante. We do have two systems that will retain HDX-2 cards as we need 128-IO on both of those, but the rest can certainly run on the 32-IO limitation.

Thanks for the help. We want to move on these quickly before Apple turns everything into M1, knowing it's going to take Avid quite a while to catch-up.
Hello,

I had asked on another thread with no replies, was hoping you or someone could give some recommendations on the Radeon 5700 vs. the stock 5500.

I also asked this from Apple and Avid on a few occasions and couldn't get an answer and have researched countless forums as well to no avail. Was hoping someone here would have 1st hand experience?

About to buy a new 2019 Macpro 16 core and was only considering the stock Radeon W5500X, but one of the MAIN reasons I am upgrading is speed of rendering NR plugs, freezing tracks and making faster QuickTime ref for clients.
I heard that it's worth getting the +$400 W5700X 16G since it can help speed up making QuickTimes in Protools?

Is there much truth to this and if so, how tangible is the speed of offline QT bounce?

Would adding a much larger GPU that takes up 2 slots with bigger fans, etc, have noticeable heat and noise since it's a much larger card taking up an extra Pcie slot?

Thanks
-HD Omni
-BM Intensity Pro

-Waves Mercury+SSL4000 Collection+Abbey Roads
-iZotope RX10 Advanced
-iZotope Post Production Suite 6
-iZotope Music Production Suite 5
-HALO UP/DOWN MIX
-ANYMIX
-Delonghi Perfecta ESAM 5600.S

Last edited by SDDP; 08-02-2022 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-01-2022, 09:43 PM

I have no skin in this game, and questions about fan noise can be very very subjective. There have been folks online in a variety of forums talking about turning down the fans speed with smccontrol. You might want to read those threads. These systems have massive extremely well done centralized cooling with relatively slow rotating fan, so I'd *hope* they are manageable from a noise viewpoint for your workload with any GPU.
Old 08-02-2022, 08:08 AM

I have been testing fully loaded M1 mac mini which is already impressive, and expect to get a delivery of a fully loaded M2 macbook air shortly. Even with heavy processor load this M1 does not make a sound and M2 should not even have a fan at all. Once they release a new Apple Silicon mac pro (M3?) that is going to be a whole different ballgame.

That is, if only software was available. Rosetta is impressive, but remembering the huge difference of Snow Leopard and dropping PPC code, this (after Ventura release perhaps) should be equally impressive.

And yes, I am back. Cannot type with ten finger system yet, but haven't abandoned you.
Old 08-02-2022, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post

And yes, I am back. Cannot type with ten finger system yet, but haven't abandoned you.
Welcome back. Good to hear from you again.

Dominic
Old 08-02-2022, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Yup, we're doing the rack, as well. We're adding a couple of SSL System-T consoles later and the rack MacPros will rack along side the SSL engines.

Thanks again to everyone for the input!!
I'd wait. Apple is going to release the Silicon Mac Pros and likely new more powerful Mac minis.

I got my M1 Pro MacBook, but I'm going to wait for the MacPro Silicon before I go and upgrade my 5,1.
At least for now.
Almost every plugin