Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 03-31-2018, 02:30 PM

Default Midi using Mini Grand as insert when played sound wimpy & similar in all presets

So I am learning how to record midi notes. When I assign the Mini Grand to my insert its fine.. but the only thing is that when I press the keyboard in my akai mpk connected controller the piano i hear on the speaker don't change..

So, for instance, pressing a keyboard key on the 01 real piano preset sounds wimpy and sounds the same as 05 Hard Piano and the volume is super low.

I tried to troubleshoot the obvious stuff like my volume of my speakers volume etc..

Any suggestions?

imac 27 h Sierra pt 12.5.2

Thanks

12GB Ram
Old 03-31-2018, 06:09 PM

Default Re: Midi using Mini Grand as insert when played sound wimpy & similar in all presets

Quote:
Originally Posted by luism View Post
So I am learning how to record midi notes. When I assign the Mini Grand to my insert its fine.. but the only thing is that when I press the keyboard in my akai mpk connected controller the piano i hear on the speaker don't change..

So, for instance, pressing a keyboard key on the 01 real piano preset sounds wimpy and sounds the same as 05 Hard Piano and the volume is super low.

I tried to troubleshoot the obvious stuff like my volume of my speakers volume etc..

Any suggestions?

imac 27 h Sierra pt 12.5.2

Thanks

To add to this..

I found this article..

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...ting/PT-223601

but the option for the upgrade doesn't show up for me?

why? My app manager has only version 12 and no option to upgrade (as shown in the linked article from avid).
12GB Ram
Old 03-31-2018, 07:01 PM

Default Re: Midi using Mini Grand as insert when played sound wimpy & similar in all presets

Look at the MIDI event list and see what the note velocity values are. If they're low that could explain your problems. As for finding what are the velocity values I suggest you take a trip through the PT manual or make Google your friend. You might also have to change the velocity mapping on your keyboard and for that consult it's manual.

Also make sure your volume controller isn't set low.

QAPLA!
Old 04-01-2018, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Look at the MIDI event list and see what the note velocity values are. If they're low that could explain your problems. As for finding what are the velocity values I suggest you take a trip through the PT manual or make Google your friend. You might also have to change the velocity mapping on your keyboard and for that consult it's manual.

Also make sure your volume controller isn't set low.
Thanks, I will try your suggestions that could narrow it down to set up issues.. Unless there is really an update needed like the article says.. I am wondering why I am not able to update my plugins tho..?
12GB Ram
Old 04-02-2018, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Thanks, I will try your suggestions that could narrow it down to set up issues.. Unless there is really an update needed like the article says.. I am wondering why I am not able to update my plugins tho..?
Maybe there is no update for your plugins? I don't think your problem is what the article you link to talks about. You really need to look at the MIDI event list for not only note velocity but also note length.

Something you could try to eliminate your music keyboard and playing is to manually enter notes into the event list with high velocity values and long lengths. Play that and see/listen to what comes out of the speakers.

I have yet to see any application manager or version/update checker that's built into a plugin or program actually return reliable results. For example a few weeks back I used the 'check for updates' in East West Play engine and it said I was up to date but I knew I wasn't because there was a later version on the developer's website that had been up for a couple of weeks at that point. I would see if there's some way you can manually download the update. A lot of people here actually deleted the Avid Application Manager.

QAPLA!
Old 04-03-2018, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Maybe there is no update for your plugins? I don't think your problem is what the article you link to talks about. You really need to look at the MIDI event list for not only note velocity but also note length.

Something you could try to eliminate your music keyboard and playing is to manually enter notes into the event list with high velocity values and long lengths. Play that and see/listen to what comes out of the speakers.

I have yet to see any application manager or version/update checker that's built into a plugin or program actually return reliable results. For example a few weeks back I used the 'check for updates' in East West Play engine and it said I was up to date but I knew I wasn't because there was a later version on the developer's website that had been up for a couple of weeks at that point. I would see if there's some way you can manually download the update. A lot of people here actually deleted the Avid Application Manager.
musicman691, thank you for reading and trying to help.. I am not too familiar with my akai mpk so it started a conversation on velocity that I didn't know about..

I also searched on youtube as you suggested and this link solved my problem.. too technical for me but it worked!.. :)

Thanks again.

https://youtu.be/vohwf_OAVJM
12GB Ram
Old 04-04-2018, 04:49 AM

Quote:
musicman691, thank you for reading and trying to help.. I am not too familiar with my akai mpk so it started a conversation on velocity that I didn't know about..

I also searched on youtube as you suggested and this link solved my problem.. too technical for me but it worked!.. :)

Thanks again.

https://youtu.be/vohwf_OAVJM
Cool that you found that and posted the link. Sometimes one has to get with the technical side of things to get a program working right. Recording with computers isn't plug and play like an Xbox gaming system.

QAPLA!