Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 05-08-2007, 08:49 PM

Default Some Virtual Instruments Can\'t Use Instrument Tracks

Hey guys -

This isn't the end of the world or anything, but could someone explain to me why some virtual instruments can't make use of the instrument tracks in Pro Tools?

I'll give you a fer instance:

I use Trilogy and SampleTank LE. If you create an instrument track and activate these plug-ins, I can't trigger them via MIDI. Now, if you do it the old school way by creating a stereo audio track then create a MIDI track to trigger it, it works fine. What gives?

Other VI's work on an instrument track just peachy, like Strike, Stylus RMX, Kontakt, etc. Is it because the other plug-ins are behind the times?

Thanks for any insight.

John
Audient iD44
Pro Tools 2020
Old 05-08-2007, 09:23 PM

Default Re: Some Virtual Instruments Can\'t Use Instrument Tracks

Yeah, some of the older versions of plugins don't automatically switch the MIDI output of the instrument track to itself when inserted. You will need to manually assign the MIDI output of those tracks to the instrument you have inserted (and/or make sure you have the latest versions of the plugins installed).

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 05-08-2007, 09:31 PM

Yeah, which what've had to have of been done with the MIDI track. (what a mouth full)

filo
Old 05-08-2007, 10:01 PM

Trilogy works just fine with instrument tracks here. MIDI output automatically gets routed to the VI.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Trilogy works just fine with instrument tracks here. MIDI output automatically gets routed to the VI.
What's a VI? You wouldn't mind walking me through how you got Atmosphere to work on an instrument track, would ya? I can get it to work fine on an an audio track with a MIDI track triggering it, but not an instrument track. I would really like to know how it's done. Thanks!
Audient iD44
Pro Tools 2020
Old 05-10-2007, 09:11 PM

VI means Virtual Instrument.

Can you see the instrument view on top of the instrument tracks (View > Mix window > Instrument)?

Does the small MIDI meter show any activity when you play?

Some VIs needs to have hardware audio inputs assigned to produce sound on instrument tracks. Maybe Atmosphere falls into this category?
Old 05-11-2007, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Hey guys -

This isn't the end of the world or anything, but could someone explain to me why some virtual instruments can't make use of the instrument tracks in Pro Tools?

I'll give you a fer instance:

I use Trilogy and SampleTank LE. If you create an instrument track and activate these plug-ins, I can't trigger them via MIDI. Now, if you do it the old school way by creating a stereo audio track then create a MIDI track to trigger it, it works fine. What gives?

Other VI's work on an instrument track just peachy, like Strike, Stylus RMX, Kontakt, etc. Is it because the other plug-ins are behind the times?

Thanks for any insight.

John

You are absolutey right, but it's rarely discussed here.

There are facts out there that are not explicitly stated.

One of them is that NOT ALL VI's WORK ON AN AN INSTRUMENT TRACK, sorry for shouting. I shouted because Digi shouted when they announced instrument tracks. (It wasn't an announcement to me).
(for example, pluggo max/msp plugs)

Will it ever change? I don't know.

Also, the Pro Tools compatibility chart is not as straight forward as we or they would like us to believe. (ie. You sometimes have to pay to be on the list) (But that's another topic).

Shoot, I've said too much...

Ignorance is sbsli

PS. Please remember 1. Pro Tools is the best software out there.
2. The bull generated by other software companies is the same if not worse.