How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > The Drum Room
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2011, 02:58 AM

Default Best Sample Libraries

Hey All,

First post here on the forums. I am producing a hip hop album for a very talented MC but I have limited samples. I still need to install the extra discs that come with Pro Tools... I sample single drum hits from jazz and such but would like to easily drag and drop from the region list into my songs and then snap/quantize to the grid. Is there a way I can lay these drums down with a korg beat pad and have them be audio still? I dont like to use midi for drums. I know I am asking a lot of questions here but mainly what I want answered is what sample packs exist that have large volumes of drum sounds for a good value. I also dont want the glitzy GUI's that many of these EZ drummer type plugins have, just simply folders with oodles of samples. Thanks,

Craig
Old 01-18-2011, 08:20 AM

Default Re: Best Sample Libraries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckahle33 View Post
Hey All,

First post here on the forums. I am producing a hip hop album for a very talented MC but I have limited samples. I still need to install the extra discs that come with Pro Tools...
I sample single drum hits from jazz and such but would like to easily drag and drop from the region list into my songs and then snap/quantize to the grid.

This is pretty easy to do already...

Is there a way I can lay these drums down with a korg beat pad and have them be audio still? I dont like to use midi for drums.

Using the Korg beat Pad involves MIDI. There is no way around using MIDI if you wish to use this pad. MIDI is the trigger for the audio. You need to load the samples into a sampler software and trigger those samples via MIDI. That is how the entire world of hip hop makes beats, by triggering samples and sounds with MIDI devices. You need to learn exactly what MIDI is and how it can help you, otherwise you will continue to be frustrated.

I know I am asking a lot of questions here but mainly what I want answered is what sample packs exist that have large volumes of drum sounds for a good value.

I highly suggest Native Instruments Maschine. It makes what you want to do, dragging and dropping audio and triggering them with pads VERY easy.
http://imsproav.com/main/NATIVE17924.html
There are three parts to Maschine:

a) A controller that allows you to play sounds and arrange them into beats, patterns and tracks.

b) Software that loads up right in Pro Tools and allows you to drag and drop sounds to and from Pro Tools.

c) A HUGE library of sampled drums, hits, stabs and effects. Very high quality. You can also import your own sounds and sample your own sounds (like from jazz records)

You can call me about this if you like.

I also dont want the glitzy GUI's that many of these EZ drummer type plugins have, just simply folders with oodles of samples. Thanks,

The Maschine interface is very simple and easy to use. And it's got folders and folders of very good, high quality samples. You won't be disappointed. And your MC friend will thank you for owning a real deal beat making tool.

Craig
[email protected]
631 786 3924

Freelance Mac/Pro Tools tech for hire. Metro New York Area.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:58 AM

Hey,

Thanks for your response. That is a pretty pricey unit, and i just bought a alesis micron... I would want to contact you though about possibly buying a used one or testing one out. I wold like to know if it really suits my production/writing style. Thanks,

Craig
Old 01-18-2011, 12:16 PM

It's really not pricey if you add up what a good drum pad unit costs and what a decent drum sample library costs... there may be some folks out there selling them used- but my customers absolutely love it, and find it immediately useful and well thought out. I doubt people have started selling theirs...

I see this gear coming through here all of the time and I get my hands on a lot of stuff -very rarely do I actually buy something for my own studio, I bought this as soon as NI announced it and I learn something new about it every time I use it. It's probably the most perfect product for digital audio production I've ever seen... and Native Instruments keeps updating it *for Free* - soon it will host Audio Units and VST effects... and they are adding the ability to have 16 separate audio channels in Pro Tools (instead of 8)

It's actually very reasonably priced for what you get... I highly recommend you save up for this - you may continue to be frustrated by trying to do what you have been doing so far... having a well-thought out, creative tool that works really well with Pro Tools is worth it- especially for the kind of work you are doing... once you get it - I can help you learn it as well- I'm actually becoming quite the guru on it...

this is the right way for you to do what you want to do...
[email protected]
631 786 3924

Freelance Mac/Pro Tools tech for hire. Metro New York Area.