Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 05-28-2023, 02:39 AM

Default New Version of Carbon Central and question?

Avid Carbon Central 2023.6 Mac is out which did a firmware update on my system. Not sure what is new.

Quick question about Avid Carbon Central... It is starting up automatically when I boot my Mac. Is there a way to have it minimised/hidden rather than open at startup?
Old 05-28-2023, 06:15 AM

Default Re: New Version of Carbon Central and question?

I've just updated here and seems to work fine on initial playback.
No release notes, so no idea what's changed. Avid are never specific about whether updates relating to Carbon have come from the firmware or are in ProTools itself.
If you want to hide Carbon Central on startup, go to
Apple - System Preferences -> Users & Groups -> Login Items tab
and tick "Hide" next to Avid Carbon Central
The icon will still appear in the menu bar.

[as an aside, EuCon could do with the same option........]

Dominic
Old 05-28-2023, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
I've just updated here and seems to work fine on initial playback.
No release notes, so no idea what's changed. Avid are never specific about whether updates relating to Carbon have come from the firmware or are in ProTools itself.
If you want to hide Carbon Central on startup, go to
Apple - System Preferences -> Users & Groups -> Login Items tab
and tick "Hide" next to Avid Carbon Central
The icon will still appear in the menu bar.

[as an aside, EuCon could do with the same option........]

Dominic
Thanks Dominic. I thought you'd solved it but.... Login Items seems to have moved in Ventura which I'm on. It's now under "General" options in System Settings and I can't see an option to Hide anything!
Old 05-28-2023, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
Thanks Dominic. I thought you'd solved it but.... Login Items seems to have moved in Ventura which I'm on. It's now under "General" options in System Settings and I can't see an option to Hide anything!
Just checked and that option has been removed from Ventura. I have no idea why. It can be done from the Command Line but I have no intention of digging into that. Another great Apple improvement. /s

Dominic
Old 06-08-2023, 05:02 PM
Avid

Hi all - you are right that the OS auto-hiding feature for Carbon Central stopped working on macOS Ventura. One of the improvements in the new version of Carbon Central is that the window will remember its previous state, so if you close the window it will tuck itself away in the menu bar and will stay that way even through reboots.

Besides that, this update is largely a bug fix release plus a firmware update. The new firmware adds support for the Surround Monitoring feature that was introduced with Pro Tools 2023.6, plus of course it contains its own set of bug fixes.

The most important bug fixes are listed in the notes for the next Pro Tools release following a Carbon Central update. We do not currently provide a dedicated Carbon Central release notes document.

I hope this helps,
Rob
Old 06-09-2023, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmajors View Post
Hi all - you are right that the OS auto-hiding feature for Carbon Central stopped working on macOS Ventura. One of the improvements in the new version of Carbon Central is that the window will remember its previous state, so if you close the window it will tuck itself away in the menu bar and will stay that way even through reboots.

Besides that, this update is largely a bug fix release plus a firmware update. The new firmware adds support for the Surround Monitoring feature that was introduced with Pro Tools 2023.6, plus of course it contains its own set of bug fixes.

The most important bug fixes are listed in the notes for the next Pro Tools release following a Carbon Central update. We do not currently provide a dedicated Carbon Central release notes document.

I hope this helps,
Rob
Thanks Rob. That works!