Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2003, 01:06 PM

Default pitch and time issues... what happened to my bass?

Hey guys,

I downloaded the demo for pitch and time because i wanted to speed up the tempo of a specific song. So I...

1. Bounced the song
2. Imported the wav
3. Use Pitch and Time to increase by about 20bpm

Now, everything sounds great except for the bass seems to drop out at times, where it was otherwise fine on the bounce. Is it wrong to apply this plugin to a whole track? Should I adjust a certain setting to avoid this from happening, because all I did was adjust the tempo slider, and left everything else where it was.

I can't believe the clarity of this plugin, it hardly leaves any bad artifacts and sounds natural. I just have to get this little bass problem figured out...If I had 700 dollars I'd buy it for sure.

Thanks in advance!

-gabe

Thanks in advance
Old 04-14-2003, 04:01 PM

Default Re: pitch and time issues... what happened to my bass?

I use pnt quite a bit... and sometimes on whole mixes like you describe (but only increasing by 5bpm or so).

One thing that might be leading to the bass problems is that increasing by 20bpm is a big tempo jump and its producing artifacts on the bass.

One thing I might try is bouncing the whole mix down without the bass. Then use Pitch n Time on the bounced track (with everything but the bass) and on then on the separate bass track. Then you will have to bounce those 2 tracks together to get the final bounced mix.

This might fix or at least lessen the bass problems you are hearing (maybe). [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Let me know how it works.

-Matt
Old 04-14-2003, 08:57 PM

Default Re: pitch and time issues... what happened to my bass?

Increasing a song by 20bpm as, has already been said, is a MASSIVE jump.

I am assuming you are importing your mix into the session then applying PnT. One thing to make sure is that when you go to apply PnT that you are in 'STEREO' or 'MULTI-CHANNEL' mode (a box you can click on in the upper right hand corner of the plugin window). What is probably happening is that you are in mono and PnT isn't maintaining the phase relationship between your L+R channels causing the bass to be cancelled in parts. See if that helps, if may have to put up with the original mix of the song, or speed it up only marginally.

Cheers,
Marcus