Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 10-13-2021, 04:34 PM

Default pro tools first not working right

I've tried installing twice and still. Half the words at the top are cut off and i can't get it to playback any sound wether i select my focusrite or windows audio as the playback engine. There is no IO option in the setup or setting, whatever I can't even read it because of the words being cut off, menu.

Also i get this error when I startup:
"Some inputs or outputs may have become inactive because your audio hardware device has changed."
Old 10-14-2021, 07:56 AM

Default Re: pro tools first not working right

As far as text being cut off, are you using 4k monitors or have an unusual scaling factor set in Windows? Any accessibility settings for large fonts enabled or anything else that may be a non standard font setting?

As for not getting any sound, first make sure that Windows is not using the Focusrite as its default sound device. If it is, set Windows to use the internal audio as the default and I'd even go as far as just disabling the Focusrite in Windows sound settings so it doesn't try and use it.

Make sure you are using the latest drivers for your Focusrite interface for your OS.

Once that is done, start Pro Tools First and hold down the N key while it loads. This should present you with the Playback Engine where you will select the Focusrite as your Pro Tools device. Now create a new project and add either an audio or instrument track and ensure that the track outputs are set to the main output on your Focusrite interface.

Once the track you just created has some content, you should be able to press play and hear it out of the Focusrite.

System Details
Old 10-14-2021, 05:57 PM

i've just got some cables in the mail today to plug in my monitors and now i can hear my guitar through protool with my focusrite as the engine. I can also hear windows audio and whatever else on my computer through the focusrite. So now I can record audio but I'm hearing nothing back when I play. The premade tracks have audio right? cuz I'm not even hearing that. also hear nothing when I press on the metronome.
Old 10-14-2021, 06:35 PM

Okay it appears to be working now. I figured out that you sort of have to arm each track to play by selecting outputs.