Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 03-21-2020, 07:42 PM

Default (Feature Request?) When bouncing, option to use file name as new "Recall Session"

See Thumbnails for Examples.

The upsides seem endless. No matter how disorganized you are, if you printed a bounce in Pro Tools, there is an exact .ptx of that bounce with the exact same name as the bounce. Most obvious location for the newly created .ptx file would be a folder called "Recall Sessions" in the session root folder.

For mix engineers the upside is obvious. No matter how many revisions, you never have to worry about mislabeling or "did I do a save as when I started working?!?" Whatever filename the client has, there is a corresponding .ptx with the same name.

As a writer, there are times I'll be going back through my iTunes library and find an idea called something like "Guitar Thing_With Vox_4." Can't find a session folder called "Guitar Thing." Try searching drives by modified date, trying to just remember what I was doing 2 years ago when I bounced that...

Or I could search my drives for a .ptx called "Guitar Thing_With Vox_4" and assuming the original session folder exists (no matter the name) audio can be relinked, and I can pick up EXACTLY where I left off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bounce Window.jpg (36.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PT Preferences.jpg (50.6 KB, 0 views)
32 GB Ram
Syphony i/o 8x8
Old 03-21-2020, 10:19 PM

Default Re: (Feature Request?) When bouncing, option to use file name as new "Recall Session"

i like it
Old 03-22-2020, 04:23 AM

Default Re: (Feature Request?) When bouncing, option to use file name as new "Recall Session"

I save a new pro tools file for each bounce, it’s a good habit to get into regardless. Even for work-in-Progress.
Old 03-22-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
I save a new pro tools file for each bounce, it’s a good habit to get into regardless. Even for work-in-Progress.
for sure. this would just be a little extra sexurity. Command+S every few minutes is a good habit too. its still nice knowing I have auto saves.
32 GB Ram
Syphony i/o 8x8
Old 03-22-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
This

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCw...ogfR_7Q/videos

------------------------------------------------------
PT2023.12, OS X Monterey, Late 2013 MacPro, 6 core, 64 GB RAM, Orion Studio, Slate Raven MTi2, ISA428, ADL600, Distressor, Grace 501, Dimedio, Obsidian, One LA, BAC500, Harrison 32 EQ, UAD2 OCTO, Focal 6 be, Auratones...
Old 03-23-2020, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminjamesp View Post
for sure. this would just be a little extra sexurity. Command+S every few minutes is a good habit too. its still nice knowing I have auto saves.
Fair enough. I certainly wouldn’t be complaining if it was implemented.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber View Post
This
Like I said to the OP of that comment, I totally agree. There are certain responsible workflow habits that are basic operating principles for those of us that work in PT professionally.

But.

Even those of us that do this EVERY DAY sometimes make mistakes, and Avid has some built in safety nets for us (Command+Z, Shift+Option+I, AutoSave).

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like such an easy addition.

-A tiny graphical addition to the UI bounce window
-If box is checked, when "Bounce" is clicked, PT AutoSaves, the newly created .ptx is named using the "File Name" input, .ptx is saved to a "Recall Folder" in the root Session Folder.

I'm not a programmer, but I'm familiar with the concepts. Most of those actions are already in the code, so it's not a matter of writing new scripts. It's 90% using existing scripts in different workflows.

I could be totally wrong on that, but I have a feeling I'm not.
32 GB Ram
Syphony i/o 8x8
Old 03-23-2020, 09:33 AM

AutoSave is nice for occasional crash or corruption, but for a bounce week or month ago that point in time might be lost. Just save your session copy when you need to.

Though I wouldn't mind if session copy was just automatical as .mp3 copy. Tick box and that's it.