Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 04-25-2012, 05:41 AM

Question Buying Pro Tools for the first time?

Hello all,
I hope you can help me with some advice please. I am looking to get into pro tools but I am really confused where to start especially with so many versions out there and the hardware requirements.

Basically I play piano and would like to import my music into pro tools and work with tracks, loops and also vocals. I did some search and it seems pro tools 9MP is most affordable being around £90; but is that all I need or should purchase some sort of hardware to be able to use it? I will be going through a learning curve so buying something affordable is essential for me. Any help is much appreciated.

Many thanks,
Eihab
Old 04-25-2012, 08:55 AM

Default Re: Buying Pro Tools for the first time?

Bless you for doing the homework up front(it will payoff in the long run). First thing I have to ask is, what are the specs of your computer. Then, how many inputs and outputs do you need at any one time(IOW, will you always work solo, or will you have other musicians working with you)? Do you own any microphones, stands or headphones(you are bound to need something in that list)? If you have a Windows computer, posting a Sandra report will get you the best advice. Check this thread for info:
Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-25-2012, 09:21 AM

Hi albee,

Many thanks for your response; I am using a vista machine with 8 GB of RAM and powerful processor. I use the machine for graphics editing software.
To be honest I have no experience of audio editing at all, I play piano and write music so I thought why not take it to the next level and produce something nice. I will be doing solo work for some time especially while learning the software. I think I need an input for vocals and one for my digital piano. In terms of equipment I am a complete newbie I only have my digital piano and a powerful PC.

I will try to run Sandra report as well. So any advice on where to start would be great.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eihab View Post

I will try to run Sandra report as well.
Definitely the smart thing to do... powerful or not, Pro Tools is ULTRA picky about computer hardware.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:36 PM

Depending on your recording audio interface unit, will dictate which Pro Tools version. I have MP9 version (which is being discounted currently for $99. at some internet sites) however it will only work with proprietary MAudio audio interface equipment. I don't think Pro Tools 9 (not MP9) is being sold anymore as it was replaced by Pro Tools 10, which is not limited to Avid/MAudio hardware, and almost any ASIO audio interface device will work. Those two versions have specific hardware requirements.

Member of Nashville R.O.P.E. Assn.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:38 PM

Hi Fireberd,
Many thanks for that, now it’s starting to make sense more. It is hard to grasp at the beginning especially when the hardware is put into the mix.
Pro tools 10 is out of my budget for now, but I guess if I learn 9MP it will be relatively easy to understand 10?
Now I am looking to get Avid Pro Tools MP+Fast Track Pro International Version which seems decent and now dropped in price, but not sure if 9mp comes with the hardware so I asked the seller on Amazon. If so would be great if not I then have to purchase the software seperatly which will push the price to just over £200. Do you rate the fast track pro interface?

Thanks,
Old 04-26-2012, 08:16 PM

I would recommend a new Mbox package with the Pro Tools Essentials software package. Its a great start. The new Mboxes(3rd gen) sound really good. The Mbox(not Mini and not PRO) will have 2 inputs so you can handle stereo keyboards, or 1 or 2 vocal mics, and midi. The Essentials software is limited, but may do all that you need at a fair price. I'm not a huge fan of the M-Audio hardware, so I'm not big on the MP version of software(which only works with M-Audio hardware). Just my 2 cents(but do go to the main avid site and read up on the software versions).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave